T Nation

Legend of Conan - Arnold Returns

Does this tickle anybody’s tats buds?

Personally I’d have to see who they choose for a director before I come to an opinion. It could either turn into a pretty bad movie like Arnold’s last few, a reasonable but nothing special movie like The second Expendables, or a quite good homage to the original Conan, all around how they choose to go about scripting, filming and acting it.

I think the main tipping point of where this comes in lies in the director choice.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
Personally I’d have to see who they choose for a director before I come to an opinion. It could either turn into a pretty bad movie like Arnold’s last few, a reasonable but nothing special movie like The second Expendables, or a quite good homage to the original Conan, all around how they choose to go about scripting, filming and acting it.

I think the main tipping point of where this comes in lies in the director choice.[/quote]

Doesn’t the screen play have anything to do with it? Even a great director can’t fix a horrible storyline, IMO.

You seem to be knee deep in cinema, so I’d trust your word over mine.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
It could either turn into a pretty bad movie like Arnold’s last few, a reasonable but nothing special movie like The second Expendables…[/quote]
I agree, did anyone actually watch “The Last Stand?” I saw a couple previews during the beginning of the year and then it was gone.

I just took a look at his filmography on a separate site and I consider the last decent film on it “Eraser” and that came out in 1996.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

I think the main tipping point of where this comes in lies in the director choice.[/quote]

Doesn’t the screen play have anything to do with it? Even a great director can’t fix a horrible storyline, IMO.

You seem to be knee deep in cinema, so I’d trust your word over mine. [/quote]

Basically described the situation Ridley Scott has gotten himself into far too often.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
It could either turn into a pretty bad movie like Arnold’s last few, a reasonable but nothing special movie like The second Expendables…[/quote]
I agree, did anyone actually watch “The Last Stand?” I saw a couple previews during the beginning of the year and then it was gone.

I just took a look at his filmography on a separate site and I consider the last decent film on it “Eraser” and that came out in 1996. [/quote]

I figured the Last Stand was in trouble when I saw Arnold did an “ask me anything” on reddit for promotion.

I thought Last Stand was actually quite good.

[quote]csulli wrote:
I thought Last Stand was actually quite good.[/quote]

April Fools Day was yesterday.

I think it could be quite good if they keep with the original themes and it isn’t cheesy.

[quote]JLone wrote:
I just took a look at his filmography on a separate site and I consider the last decent film on it “Eraser” and that came out in 1996. [/quote]

True Lies was the last good Arnie movie IMO

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
I think it could be quite good if they keep with the original themes and it isn’t cheesy. [/quote]

Conan had cheese like an all American cheeseburger.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

Oh of course that’s a huge aspect, I was trying to really water it down to one pivotal thing so my post doesn’t become too long-winded, I tend to do that when it comes to moovey-talk.

There definitely has to be great writing, I’d love to see them make Arnold’s Old Conan into a ruthless hardened killer. One that’s far more efficient and desensitized than the Conan of the original, and no doubt a great script would be paramount in bringing that to the audience. But there’s so much the director has to take hold of that, disregarding anything else, that will make or break the film.

Of course you’re absolutely right, your opinion is definitely sound, the things outside of the director’s control do play just as much into the success or failure of the production as anything. But with the director having to oversee the cinematography, the acting, how to tie up each scene fluidly in response to the last, personal discussions with the cast etc. He’s maybe 80% of what comes out post-production, so my major concerns are always with him/her for me before anything else when I make a prediction on whether something will be good or not. (Probably him).

In short, whenever there’s a new production, my eyes are on the director as to whether I’d predict it to be good or bad. Sometimes when you see Michael Bay stamped on something, you know what’s coming. Likewise with Martin Scorsese.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

True Lies was the last good Arnie movie IMO[/quote]

I think I’d go Terminator 3, that was a pretty solid film. Obviously it was the “Godfather III” of the series, but still, nice enough to warrant being a ‘good’ film on it’s own merit.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

True Lies was the last good Arnie movie IMO[/quote]

That’s because you clearly never saw expendables 2

That scene tickles my tats.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

I figured the Last Stand was in trouble when I saw Arnold did an “ask me anything” on reddit for promotion. [/quote]

The Last Stand had some good ideas, but they weren’t put to use all that well. All the way through I was just thinking about a ton of other action movies it reminded me of, but that were always just a little bit better in how they went about things.

It’s a fun ‘get drunk and watch something while you’re bored’ movie, but nothing that’s in it for the long haul.

I was a sucker for his reddit AMA. There were some messages he sent to fans that warmed my heart, I think there was one guy who’s kid drew a picture of himself and Arnie as the Terminator with explosions and robots in the background, he left a pretty sweet message back. Had some humble and pretty admirable political views too, to the extent of how politically savvy he actually is. He’s a good guy, I’d never be too harsh on him just for that.

I’m not surprised Marzouk is a big Conan fan. The Conan series is heavily inspired by ancient Arab/“Persian” history and mythology.

I personally don’t care about the series. I’ve seen the first and only universally deemed good Conan film (Conan the Barbarian) and I wasn’t impressed with that at all. I get the cult status, it has that kind of feel, and mercy if I hear my dad saying how much of a great film it is every time it playing on TV again. However, there’s nothing special about the film; the directing is okay and there is virtually no acting apart from Darth Vader – the only things that make the film are Arnold, the cinematography and the original concept, which is far more suited to the period the first film came out than now. The `flavour’ of Conan has observably declined with time to a new low with the recent modern adaptation. I’m sure Hollywood noticed the modern take’s horrible reviews and dismal box office showing, which makes this latest project nothing more than one last hoora for Arnold as Conan that will hopefully be the last Conan film rendition ever.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

I was a sucker for his reddit AMA. There were some messages he sent to fans that warmed my heart, I think there was one guy who’s kid drew a picture of himself and Arnie as the Terminator with explosions and robots in the background, he left a pretty sweet message back. Had some humble and pretty admirable political views too, to the extent of how politically savvy he actually is. He’s a good guy, I’d never be too harsh on him just for that.[/quote]

He’s a politician and I’m not just talking about his stint as Governor. He’s been actively politicking his whole life, even in his former bodybuilding days. In a sense, his political nature has contributed to his immense success. The point is, it’s easy and overtly natural for him to “kiss babies and shake hands”; he’s been doing it for most of his life. I agree, I fell for his reddit stuff too. He comes off as a good, genuine guy but then all you have to do is remind yourself of his mistress and love child.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

Basically described the situation Ridley Scott has gotten himself into far too often.[/quote]

In fairness to Ridley Scott, he said in an interview that there’s a huge element of chance to whether or not a movie will turn out badly.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

Basically described the situation Ridley Scott has gotten himself into far too often.[/quote]

In fairness to Ridley Scott, he said in an interview that there’s a huge element of chance to whether or not a movie will turn out badly.
[/quote]

Isn’t that just an excuse as to why he has some shitty movies?

The idea of a ‘King Conan’ movie has been bounced around Hollywood for as long as the coda to Conan the Barbarian. Arnie was supposed to do the movie before running for Governor.

Kull the Conqueror started out as a script for King Conan. The reboot with Jason Momoa flopped, so that makes two failed attempts so far. They seem to be relying solely on Arnie’s rep and an audience yearning for nostalgia to make this work.

In all likelihood they’ll bring Arnie back for one movie and attempt some lame ‘passing of the torch’ plot line with Conan as a mentor to his son like they did with Indiana Jones and John McClane.