Legality of Velcro Belts?

I would have asked this in the stickied threads, but it looks like those are mostly for reviews.

I’m having a hard time figuring out whether or not the belt I have been using for training will be a legal belt in certain federations (SPF specifically).

I use the Spud deadlift belt: (edit link) http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=299&pid=2840

In SPF’s rule book it says the following:

[quote]
G. Belt
a) A competitor may wear a lifting belt in all divisions if desired.
b) If a lifting belt is worn, it shall only be worn on the outside of the lifting suit.
c) The lifterâ??s name, the name of the lifterâ??s nation, state, or club may appear on the outside of the belt.

•  Writing that can be interpreted as profanity or obscene in any way is not allowed on a lifters belt

[b]d) A one or two prong buckle as well as the “lever action” fastening device may be used.
e) Acceptable Materials and Construction:

•   The main body of the belt shall be made of either leather or in the case of specialized bench press and deadlift belts, be made of cloth or nylon

1.  Cloth belts cannot have any metal materials in the belt except those as noted below.

2.  Leather belts shall be composed of one or more laminations which may be glued and/or stitched together

•  The belt shall not have any additional padding, bracing, or supports of any material either on the surface or concealed within the laminations of the belt.

•  A metal buckle, studs, and stitching are the only metal components permitted on a belt. The buckle shall be attached at one end of the belt by means of studs and/or stitching.

• The belt shall not have any inflatable components in any form.

•  A leather, cloth, vinyl, or nylon tongue loop shall be attached close to the buckle by means of metal studs and/or stitching.[/b][/quote]

I see what is allowed, but I’m trying to understand if that means that my belt is not allowed.

If it’s not allowed, what belt do you think would replace the Spud well without screwing me up completely?

I would say that (d) rules out the spud belt, by inference only a buckle or lever is allowed.

My friend used one in the APA fwiw.

Check out the rehband strongman belts, got one a few months ago and LOVE it.

I would almost guarantee that belt is legal in the SPF. Email the meet director to be sure.

My man wore his Spud belt in a UPA meet a few weeks ago. No problem. It was always my understanding that multi-ply feds are really anything goes feds…

Okay, so I’ve gotten a few conflicting answers, though more on the “legal” side. theuofh sounds the most sure about his answer though. I decided to email the meet director and I’m waiting on a response.

I’ll post again when I get an answer in case anyone else needs it one day.

Thanks for the help!

[quote]TylerPK4L wrote:
Okay, so I’ve gotten a few conflicting answers, though more on the “legal” side. theuofh sounds the most sure about his answer though. I decided to email the meet director and I’m waiting on a response.

Thanks for the help![/quote]

How do you enjoy that belt btw? Im in the need of one?

Not to troll, but what was the rationale in buying that belt over a lever or pronged belt? I’ve never seen anyone use one of these.

[quote]TigerPower wrote:
Not to troll, but what was the rationale in buying that belt over a lever or pronged belt? I’ve never seen anyone use one of these. [/quote]

Easier to adjust, virtually no break in time, cheaper, more comfortable…

e definately allows it

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:

[quote]TigerPower wrote:
Not to troll, but what was the rationale in buying that belt over a lever or pronged belt? I’ve never seen anyone use one of these. [/quote]

Easier to adjust, virtually no break in time, cheaper, more comfortable…[/quote]

How did stronghold do at the meet?

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:

[quote]TylerPK4L wrote:

Thanks for the help![/quote]

How do you enjoy that belt btw? Im in the need of one?[/quote]

I like the belt a lot. I haven’t used many before this one, but the ones I have used jabbed me in the ribs during deadlift, which would kill the lift from the start. Past it just being comfortable, it is very stable and helps me a lot with creating pressure in my stomach. It hasn’t done anything bad yet, if that’s a credible argument?

[quote]TigerPower wrote:

What buckeye girl said. It’s very comfortable. I’ve never had to break in a belt, so I can’t compare that, but there isn’t a difference between the first day and now (in a good way).

I haven’t heard back from the meet director yet. The meet in question isn’t until February though.

Pretty sure you will be fine. At the last meet i did (SPF 10/23/2010) a guy used that belt DLing and nobody said a thing.

Pretty sure you will be fine. At the last meet i did (SPF 10/23/2010) a guy used that belt DLing and nobody said a thing.

He emailed me back. I asked him if it was legal, not if it was illegal, and he sent back, “Yes it is, and that is coming from the top.”

So, cool. I don’t have to spend another $50 for a meet belt.

Thanks for the responses!

[quote]brauny96 wrote:

[quote]TigerPower wrote:

Easier to adjust, virtually no break in time, cheaper, more comfortable…[/quote]

How did stronghold do at the meet?[/quote]

Not to hijack, but to answer your question…he said he would have rather bombed than have that total next to his name. I’m not a fan of excuses about shitty judging, but a trio of blind, retarded chimps could have done better.

[quote]brauny96 wrote:

[quote]TigerPower wrote:

How did stronghold do at the meet?[/quote]

Not to hijack, but to answer your question…he said he would have rather bombed than have that total next to his name. I’m not a fan of excuses about shitty judging, but a trio of blind, retarded chimps could have done better. [/quote]

Thats the UPA, APF ans SPF for you, I’m an AAPF guy, but the local meets and sometimes the big meets they just give shit away. My last meet I should have bombed in the bench. I could feel my ass come off.