Legal Help With Lease Terms

If the lease is expired, do the terms of the lease still apply?

Steel Nation, for the most part any terms of a lease (or any other contract) are no longer binding once the term of the contract is complete. A fundamental aspect of a contract for a term (period of days, weeks, months, until the project is done, etc.) is your agreement to be bound for the period set forth in the contract.

However, there are some exceptions (for example, theoretically a lease could say “you pay us rent for this term and get to occupy, but if we find any bodies in the closet within the six months following the course of the term, you’re responsible for the cleanup.” A bit of an exaggeration…but again, you are agreeing to be bound when you execute the contract.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
If the lease is expired, do the terms of the lease still apply?[/quote]

yes, at least in Illinois. As loose tool said, and i neglected to mention, different states have different landlord/tenant laws as far as leases and when you’re released from them. If the lease was automatically expired at the end of 12 months, then the landlord could just evict them as soon as their lease was up.

To OP, again, as loose tool said, what I’ve told you applies specifically to the laws in Illinois. I’d assume it’s similar in your state, but who knows. you should check. then again, what do you expect, when asking for legal advice via an internet forum.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Steel Nation, for the most part any terms of a lease (or any other contract) are no longer binding once the term of the contract is complete.

A fundamental aspect of a contract for a term (period of days, weeks, months, until the project is done, etc.) is your agreement to be bound for the period set forth in the contract.
[/quote]

It’s generally assumed,however, that unless you give notice prior to the end of the lease, you will stay there. otherwise landlords could plan the next lease of a house in advance, and kick out the current as soon as their lease expires, so that they could move in a person with a new 12 month lease.

It is most definitely not assumed; if there is automatic renewal, it will be in the contract. At best, the only assumption a landlord can make without a formal renewal is month-to-month.