T Nation

Leg Workout Critique

hi all. i would like some insight into my workout. based on what I have been reading on this site it might be too much for one day. i usually do this leg workout rest about 4-5 days and repeat with some variation. it kills my legs and i feel dead for a couple of days afterwards, even though i eat around 4000 cal.

also, my legs are fairly muscular naturally (at least in proportion to my upper body), so i don’t want them to get to big, which is another reason i am thinking that i might need to cut down. any advice is appreciated. if you need more information from me i will gladly provide it.

squats (4 sets *6-8)
deadlifts (4 sets *8-7)
barbell lunges (4sets,each leg *6-7)
good mornings (4sets *8-9)
romanian deadlifts (3sets *6-8)
box jumps (4sets *15)

I would do deadlifts on back day. Doesn’t look like too much volume though. However, I don’t know what box jumps are.

Since it sounds like you are satisfied with the size of your legs, I take it you are mostly interested in increasing strength. That being the case, I would start working in the 3-5 rep range for the big compound lifts.
Just my opinion, if you are using anything near your 8rm, doing squats, deadlifts and rdl in the same workout seems a bit much. By the time you get to rdl, either you would have to lower the intensity or you have amazing work capacity.

Good morning and RDL are basically the same exercise…and you’re really taxing your lower back. Back squat, lunges and Good Morning OR Romanian Deadlifts should be enough.
If “box jumps” are explosive drills, you should do them at the beginning, when you’re fresh.

thanks for the advice everyone. i am going to add weight like iwong said and keep it in the 3-5 rep range. and i will keep it to 3 exercises based on what fabio said

[quote]fabiop wrote:
Good morning and RDL are basically the same exercise…and you’re really taxing your lower back. Back squat, lunges and Good Morning OR Romanian Deadlifts should be enough.
If “box jumps” are explosive drills, you should do them at the beginning, when you’re fresh.[/quote]

x2. box jumps are great for warming up with.