T Nation

Leg Training

Hey everyone. I’m writing a big plan for myself (training) at the moment, and came across a question i think could save me a lot of trouble, injury and stuff.

I’m aware of the need to prioritise push/pull in upper body lifting, to save your shoulders and generally to conform to the abstract principle of balance. Now i’m not balanced.

I would like to know what kind of thing like this exists for legs? Am i right in thinking it’s hip flexion vs knee extension? Or something like that? I can’t really see how that works, since squats have a bit of both, etc.

Can someone with a bit of time and generosity clear this up for me please? A list of a few exercises for each category would help me get my head round it too.

Sorry but i searched the articles and posts but everything is very hardcore and i didn’t find my answer, though it may be there. Thanks

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
Hey everyone. I’m writing a big plan for myself (training) at the moment, and came across a question i think could save me a lot of trouble, injury and stuff.

I’m aware of the need to prioritise push/pull in upper body lifting, to save your shoulders and generally to conform to the abstract principle of balance. Now i’m not balanced.

I would like to know what kind of thing like this exists for legs? Am i right in thinking it’s hip flexion vs knee extension? Or something like that? I can’t really see how that works, since squats have a bit of both, etc.

Can someone with a bit of time and generosity clear this up for me please? A list of a few exercises for each category would help me get my head round it too.

Sorry but i searched the articles and posts but everything is very hardcore and i didn’t find my answer, though it may be there. Thanks[/quote]

Good exercises to begin with. Should ensure good hamstrings

BB back Squat
Romanian Deadlift/Good Mornings
Leg Curl
Calf Raise of some sort

Quad Dominant: Squat, Lunge

Posterior Chain Dominant (hamstrings, spinal erectors, glutes): Deadlift, Clean, Snatch, Good Morning, Hyperextension

No compound exercise hits only one, but it is best to include at least one exercise from each group on a regular basis to provide balanced develpoment.

Make sure to throw in a single leg exercise with every session (one leg SLDL, Bulgarian split squats, pistols if you can do them).

Yeah that does make more sense. Thanks you three. My hams are way weaker than my quads.
I learned to walk again aged 9 and my posture and all that is obviously fucked- i’ve got a lot of good mornings to do to redress the imbalance.

Thanks Doug, i will, starting with bilateral and unilateral for my left leg for a bit