Leg Routine

Any suggestions for a radical leg routine. My most recent was 10 sets of 10 reps with a 60 second rest between sets using 265 for squats. Nightmare routines welcome! Thanks!

Ian King’s “Limping into” series

[quote]jthomasv wrote:
Any suggestions for a radical leg routine. My most recent was 10 sets of 10 reps with a 60 second rest between sets using 265 for squats. Nightmare routines welcome! Thanks![/quote]

Sounds like the traditional German volume training to me. What’s radical about it? And what are your goals? Hypertrophy, strength gain?

Chris Thibadeau developed a spin-off from GVT called OVT (Optimized Volume Training) which I think is a better prescription for overall size/strength gain. Maybe you’d like to try it.

It is still based on the 100-rep principal, but split into two (2) supersets of two (2) back to back exercises of 5 x 5 with different tempo prescriptions.

GVT: 10 x 10 = 100 reps/body part

OVT: 5 x 5 x 2 x 2 = 100 reps/body part

So to build your leg program, you would pick leg exercises in groups of 2. One compound exercise paired with one more isolation exercise. The number of exercises would depend on your split. For a 2-day, quad dominant/hip dominant split, you could pick 8 exercises-- 4 quad dominant (2 compound, 2 isolation), and 4 hip dominant (same).

For a 1-day split, you probably won’t be productive on any more than three (3) supersets, so only pick 6 exercises (3 compound, 3 isolation).

This is the sample split that Chris put together:

A1. Front Squat
A2. Lunges

B1. 1-leg back extension
B2. Leg curl

C1. Sumo deadlift
C2. Romanian deadlift

Rules:

1. Each exercise is performed 5 x 5.
  2. Each “1” exercise is performed with a 201 tempo. (2 second eccentric, no pause, 1 second concentric)
  3. Each “2” exercise is performed with a 602 tempo. (6 second eccentric, no pause, 2 second concentric)
  4. No rest between “1” and “2” exercises.
  5. 2 mins rest between supersets.

Good luck,

RIT Jared