T Nation

Leg Routine Without Machines?

Hey, how ya doin? I workout from home and all I have to my leg routine is a hamstring curl machine, a 45 pound bar and 300 lbs of weight obviously this is enough to grow muscle. But I’m looking for powerful hamstrings for baseball and wrestling, and monstrous quads to impress chics. What are good rep ranges, and some other interesting moves besides of 3 moves to failure sweating blood on those friggin squats, front squats and lunges.

[quote]tnt2005 wrote:
Hey, how ya doin? I workout from home and all I have to my leg routine is a hamstring curl machine, a 45 pound bar and 300 lbs of weight obviously this is enough to grow muscle. But I’m looking for powerful hamstrings for baseball and wrestling, and monstrous quads to impress chics. What are good rep ranges, and some other interesting moves besides of 3 moves to failure sweating blood on those friggin squats, front squats and lunges.[/quote]

Deadlifts- glutes/hamstrings/upper/lower back
Romanian Deadlifts- hamstrings/glutes
Good Mornings- hamstrings/glutes/lower back
Sumo Deadlifts- glutes/hamstrings/upper back
Zercher Squats- quads/glutes/hamstrings/arm flexors
Sissy Squats- quads (specifically Rectus Femoris)

Really those exercises should be plenty to get you started. I’d recommend picking 1 exercise per muscle group and getting as strong on that as possible (example quads-squats, hammies/glutes-Romanian deadlifts, calves-seated calf raises).

When you plateau (can’t continue to progress in strength), switch to a different exercise for the same muscle group and repeat the process.

You aren’t going to be impressing many girls with your quads, they tend to favor other things a little more. What else do you need besides stiff leg deads and leg curls?

For the hams, you can hit some romanian deadlifts, stiff-leg deadlifts, high step-ups, and glute-ham raises (I think Thibs has an article on T-Nation on how to do these with just a bar loaded with weight and a pad).

As far as quads go, I think you are in pretty good shape with the squats, front squats, and lunges.

Nevr2Big

edit: damn, too slow…

Sentoguy nailed it for ya.

And all of the possible one leg versions of those things.

Do squats until you puke, then do some more.

Then, do stiff legged deadlifts!

Let’s not forget barbell hacks for the quads.