Leg Questions

is there such thing as a lower body only program?, i do not want to add size to my upper body, i wish to bring my legs up to proportion. I also do not wish to do exercises that incorporate glutes as those have given me a big enough ass already, even raised heals front squats hit my glutes.

atm im doin leg ext.,sissy squats,hack squats, leg curls stiff leg deads and calves raises(standing,seated and donkeys) i cant build a program around a handful of exercises can i?

I dont know of a legs only program. But not training upper body at all sounds like a bad idea. Eat enough to facilitate growth, but train upper body just enough to maintain and lower body hard enough to grow. At the very least you’ll keep yourself from getting too bored from doing the same muscle groups every time you train.

Are you really that big up top compared to your legs that you cant afford to put on any mass in your upper body? If your work your legs hard enough (maybe with more frequency) they should be able to catch up to your upper body and you can still make size gains in the upper body also.

its not that my upper body is really big(although naturally broad shouldered), its more my legs are tiny lol, also, i think my upper body and ass has developed more than legs from doin deads and back squats in the past.

i originally got into training to achieve a symmetrical physique, not a larger version of of the same thing.its not so much ill get bored with the same exercises but i think ill adapt quick due to limited variety, maybe i should do a light upper body day between 2 heavy legs days spread out through the week.

I have a similiar problem(big ass small quads) and have been looking to balance it out a little more. Seeing I haven’t solved the problem I can’t really help you directly but I have a few ideas.

I recently split my legs into a quad day and a hamstring day. This allows me to really focus on the muscle unlike a full lower body day when I’m so fucked all I can think about is not throwing up. You still need to do compounds as they are more of mass builders then isolation exercises and I wouldn’t recommend taking glute exercises out completly as they are still a major muscle group and an important one also.

Tonight I tried close stance lunges and they really hit my quads hard. Lunges have always hit my ass previously. I did them on my toes for a little added difficulty. You could possibly squat with your feet closer together. Your knees will come out further but apparently this isn’t as bad as many make it out to be(so CT claims).

Like Bonez said, I wouldn’t cut upper body out either. Maybe just a 2:1 lower:upper would help.

As for programs, HSS-100 might be helpful. You have to design the exercises yourself but with the template you could probably minimize the use of your glutes.

Also, it can sometimes help by stretching the hip flexors regularly to help loosen them. Apparently this is a common problem.

by legs only do you mean quads not glutes? try pulling a sled backwards, v little glute involvement

thanx for replys, yeah i have been splitting leg days too, when u do quad or ham days are they the only muscles you work that day?,how many days do u do each leg muscle group? what exercises would you normally do? do u mean short step lunges? will try these, good idea about the sled, if you push from toes these would be like one legged sissy squats, unfortunately this is unpractical for me.

[quote]Hugh Jassman wrote:
thanx for replys, yeah i have been splitting leg days too, when u do quad or ham days are they the only muscles you work that day?,how many days do u do each leg muscle group? what exercises would you normally do? do u mean short step lunges? will try these, good idea about the sled, if you push from toes these would be like one legged sissy squats, unfortunately this is unpractical for me.[/quote]

Once a week for me.

Quads I do - Front squats
Barbell Hack Squat
Bulgarian Squat or yea short step lunge
Sissy Squats or Leg Ext. if I have anything left

Hamstrings- Romanian Deadlifts
Standing Leg curls
Still Leg Deadlifts
Pull Throughs

Its pretty much impossible to do a decent leg workout without involving other muscles but if you focus on the muscle your working you can put most of the tension on that. Hamstring day also works as a lower back day. I find doing this my glutes get some work but not as much as they were. Haven’t been doing it long enough to see any results though.

I do the split leg routine also.

Quad day.
Squats 4x12 or 16 if i can
one leg squat 4x12
step ups with dumbells 4x16
back lunge 4x12 or 16 if i can. emphasizing the toes not heels.

Hams day.
deadlift 4x12 emphasize on the heels
stiff leg deads 4x12
good mornings 4x12
leg curls 4x12

sheiko squat program