T Nation

Leg Program for Ultimate Frisbee

Hey guys, im play ultimate frisbee competitively (college and competitive league) and Im just getting off of the V-diet. Ive got about 6 weeks until my ultimate summer season starts and i want to improve my speed/agility/strength as much as possible before then.

Ive been around here for about a year now, yet im a bit overwhelmed with information. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a program that would help me gain stronger faster legs. Ive got a well equipped gym, cones, and a sled all available. oh I almost forgot, if possible id like to improve my vertical as well, if it can be integrated with the rest.

thanks for the help!

West side for skinny bastards is a good program for agility, speed, and leg strength since it’s built for football and basketball.

Since you have a sled you’ll actually be able to do the strongman days that the program recommends. Just google westside for skinny bastards.

I think vertical leap and sprinting should be the focus of your training. That’s not to say strength isn’t important, it’s the foundation for everything else. You just don’t really use that slow gear in ultimate, it’s a very fast, non-contact sport.

How about this, a 6 week program designed to increasing your vertical jump and sprinting speed. Seems to fit your bill…
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-206-training

[quote]GeneticFlea wrote:
Hey guys, im play ultimate frisbee competitively (college and competitive league) and Im just getting off of the V-diet. Ive got about 6 weeks until my ultimate summer season starts and i want to improve my speed/agility/strength as much as possible before then.

Ive been around here for about a year now, yet im a bit overwhelmed with information. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a program that would help me gain stronger faster legs. Ive got a well equipped gym, cones, and a sled all available. oh I almost forgot, if possible id like to improve my vertical as well, if it can be integrated with the rest.

thanks for the help![/quote]

I play ultimate in college as well and in my experience sprinting is by far more important than vertical.

There are definitely moments when the vert will help (going up for it, etc) but it’s usually first to the disc.

At any rate, I would work on your sprints more than anything.

I agree that sprinting/agility would probably be best for ultimate, but depending upon your current strength levels, I’d probably focus on increasing strength first.

Your quickness will develop naturally in season with all the playing you do if you’ve increased your strength in the off-season. (Agility drills did nothing for me personally until I brought my leg strength up.)

If you are not at a 1.5 bodyweight squat yet, then that is a good goal to aim for. Just keep it simple, focusing on heavy compound movements for the lower body.

Defranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards is a good program, although you probably don’t need all that upper body work. Maybe look for a program that has you squatting 2-3 times a week.

well Christian’s program looks like quite promising, and seeing as it is set up for 6 weeks that would be perfect. I would like to incorporate some of the strongman stuff, Particularly a sled drag, and possibly keg throws if i can find one. If im doing Christian’s program which has me doing legs twice a week, when should i do the sled dragging? if i do legs monday and thursday, sled on saturday?

Anyone have a sled dragging routine that they reccommend? i mean i know the basics(pull heavy shit) but i figured there may be some methods, or tempos that might work best for ultimate training.

Oh yeah, and ill defintely be focuing on my squat. Im a taller fellow (6’1) and i find back squats especially tough(in terms of the form) so ive never really been able to do much weight.

thanks for all the help!

What teams do you ultimate players play for in college? Any of you going to make regionals?