Leg Presses

Hmm…

I do squats then leg presses for a superset.
squats =good
leg presses=bad??

if not good what should i replace it with.

-pablo

First question to ask yourself is what are your goals and why, specifically, did you choose to use a superset of these two exercises?

Just curious if you’re training more for bodybuilding or specificly athletic performance. If it is the latter, you wouldn’t need a substitute for your second exercise, because you’d focus mainly on your working sets of squats and squat variants.

And if it is for bodybuilding purposes, which exercise do you feel hits the specific area you want to target better, because you’d likely be better off periodically using intensity techniques like cluster sets and drop sets with that exercise than supersetting both of them.

Also, as far as substitutes go, it would probably depend somewhat upon foot placement on the platform. Do you keep your feet lower to place greater emphasis on the quads or are you using a much higher foot placement to target the hams and glutes more?

As far as good ideas in place of leg presses, various types of lunges and 1-leg squat variants(pistols, bulgarian split squats, etc.) would be good choices since they really tax so much of the lower body musculature.

[quote]PabloJuarez wrote:
Hmm…

I do squats then leg presses for a superset.
squats =good
leg presses=bad??

if not good what should i replace it with.

-pablo[/quote]
More squats, … and milk.

very good. i do the same and a trainer i trust very much wrote my program.

Leg presses are not bad, particularly for muscular development. But squats are better as far as building strength goes and also have a host of other benefits over the leg press. There’s no reason to eliminate leg press from your program but you should certainly be squatting too.

Thanks guys, i shall keep doing them.