Leg Presses and Athlete

Hi guys,
What are your opinion? For overall athleticism do you think leg presses will help me be stronger, bigger and faster? Of course I’m squatting and deadlifting and doing sprints but on the days I do deadlift I feel like I can’t squat heavy afterwards, neither front or back and I thought maybe leg presses could be good, especially with size and strength of the legs. I’m thinking or to leg press for reps (10-20) or to do Bulgarian split squats.

Is there a reason you need to squat heavy after deadlifts? Would lighter squats not suffice?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Is there a reason you need to squat heavy after deadlifts? Would lighter squats not suffice?[/quote]
I can do speed work but I’ve never tried it…
I’m still a noob so I really never thought I should do any speed work than sprints or power clean (which is part of the deadlift warm-up).
I tried to squat light weight for high reps (20-30) after the deadlift but I wasn’t gaining anything from it except some lower back pain…

Why don’t you just squat and deadlift heavy on different days?

[quote]csulli wrote:
Why don’t you just squat and deadlift heavy on different days?[/quote]
I’m already doing that but I want to get some extra quads work (When I’m squatting heavy I’m doing posterior chain work and when deadlifting doing more quads work.

For quads work, maybe you should try front squating.

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’m already doing that but I want to get some extra quads work (When I’m squatting heavy I’m doing posterior chain work and when deadlifting doing more quads work.[/quote]
What do you mean when you’re deadlifting you’re doing more quad work?

How many days per week are you squatting? I mean you could still squat heavy 3 days a week if you wanted and put your deadlift on a 4th day. Hell you could squat heavy 6 days a week and deadlift on the 7th day. That should be plenty of squatting and quad work.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’m already doing that but I want to get some extra quads work (When I’m squatting heavy I’m doing posterior chain work and when deadlifting doing more quads work.[/quote]
What do you mean when you’re deadlifting you’re doing more quad work?

How many days per week are you squatting? I mean you could still squat heavy 3 days a week if you wanted and put your deadlift on a 4th day. Hell you could squat heavy 6 days a week and deadlift on the 7th day. That should be plenty of squatting and quad work.[/quote]
I’m doing FBW 3-4 times a week, one is heavy squat with some posterior chain work (GHR and BOR are more than enough for me) and the other includes heavy deadlift and quads work. I think I’ll stick for leg presses for a while, I’ve never really done them… Usually I try to stay away from machines but it feels right… I don’t know… haha

[quote]germanicus wrote:
For quads work, maybe you should try front squating.[/quote]
I really like front squats but it takes a bit from my deadlift if I do them before and if after than my back and core give up fairly quick.

Yeah leg presses would work. I would lean more towards walking lunges myself esp if part of the focus is athleticism.

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:

[quote]germanicus wrote:
For quads work, maybe you should try front squating.[/quote]
I really like front squats but it takes a bit from my deadlift if I do them before and if after than my back and core give up fairly quick.[/quote]

Use a lighter weight and focus on your quads?

do the bulgarians then.
if its for a sport or whatever free weights I would assume would be better.

[quote]Regev19978 wrote:
I’m doing FBW 3-4 times a week, one is heavy squat with some posterior chain work (GHR and BOR are more than enough for me) and the other includes heavy deadlift and quads work.[/quote]
What about the leg work on the other 1-2 days, or are you just alternating those two workouts through the week?

What does your training week look like (the days, exercises, sets, and reps)? I took a look at your log, but not sure if that’s still current.

DeFranco is a pretty big fan of unilateral lower body stuff, like Bulgarian split squats, for athletes. They’re probably worth including based on that alone.

Nothing inherently “wrong” with the leg press, or any exercise really. It’s about what tool is best for whatever job/goal you’re using it for and how you program a given exercise (the volume, intensity, and frequency) within the context of your entire plan.