Leg Press

just wondering if the leg press is considered a legitimate leg excercise. also if at 220lbs, 23 years old, 5’11’’ if a 1018lb leg press for 6 reps is decent and how i can increase my strength with it

thanks all!

It is considered a legitimate exercise for leg development, but not for displaying lower body strength or comparing yourself with others.

Squat…

thanks guys!

Just my opinion as I am far from an expert. Its a good exercise but as far as powerlifting I never saw a huge carryover from leg press to squats. But I’m sure its useful

yeah im noticing it doesn’t carry over to the squat very well

I however hear leg presses can be great for leg drive though.

The question is should you spend your time leg pressing, or would it be more beneficial to just squat.

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:
Its a good exercise but as far as powerlifting I never saw a huge carryover from leg press to squats.[/quote]

I think most people experience something similar since quad strength isn’t what holds most people back in the squat. I think people have more problems with holding an upright/efficient position (lower back, abs) and/or extending the hip (glutes, hamstrings).

Just my opinion as I am far from an expert. Its a good exercise but as far as powerlifting I never saw a huge carryover from leg press to squats. But I’m sure its useful[/quote]

I have always felt the carryover was noticed on my conventional deadlift…from the ground to just below the knee.

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
…and how i can increase my strength with it
[/quote]

Depending on whether you are using it as primary or assistance movement, and providing your method of execution is proper, you use the same methods of progression you would for any other exercise.

[quote]matias95 wrote:
The question is should you spend your time leg pressing, or would it be more beneficial to just squat.[/quote]
The answer to everything related to strength: it depends. Front squat with a pause if you want to improve bottom range strength for both. Leg press if you want to increase your leg drive (from floor to about mid shin/below knee) for you deadlift. Or whatever, somethings work for some people, and some thinks don’t work at all, or actually have a negative effect, but generally speaking getting stronger even if there is limited carryover won’t hurt anything. At worst if you program it smartly, you will add size to your quads and spend some of your recovery on something with less immediate carryover, and at best it will greatly help your deadlift.

So try it, keep it in, see if it helps and discard it for something else if it doesn’t help any part of your deadlift.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

Just my opinion as I am far from an expert. Its a good exercise but as far as powerlifting I never saw a huge carryover from leg press to squats. But I’m sure its useful[/quote]

I have always felt the carryover was noticed on my conventional deadlift…from the ground to just below the knee. [/quote]

I came here to post this, very wise

How much you legpress is irrelevant, I have never found a legpress i cant put the max amoutn of weight on and rep, yet i only squat in the 600’s

Whereas like bluecollar said if you leg press with the same foot postition as your pull (conv pullers) it does seem to help practice the leg drive necessary for the initial portion of the pull

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
just wondering if the leg press is considered a legitimate leg excercise. also if at 220lbs, 23 years old, 5’11’’ if a 1018lb leg press for 6 reps is decent and how i can increase my strength with it

thanks all![/quote]

Leg press is ok I guess. I’d treat it as any other supplemental movement. Definately no replacement for a squat, especially for a guy posting in a PL forum…as far as that weight being decent…Theres a video of Pat Robertson from CBN in his 70’s, twig legs and all doing leg presses with alledgedly 2000# so I wouldn’t worry about leg press numbers until someone comes up with a leg press league lol.

Leg Press gives the best pump in the quads.
I love playing around with extended sets, partials, and other torture techniques, and really start splitting skin with the pump.

Definitely a valuable tool for leg growth.

Never noticed much of a carryover to any other lifts though.

Also, slap a plate on each side, do a few higher rep sets, and you’ve got a quick and easy leg warmup.
I do it on days where I’m rushed, and I always lift well.