T Nation

Leg press with bent backseat

some leg pess have back seat flat wile some have it bent right around where lumbar would be resting. I notced all the vertical leg press have the backseat bent as well. whats everyone’s take on the type of seat, flat or bent? just a note, I did have severe injury from using both, a groin strain from flat version and lumbar from bent version. not saying both are bad, just pointing out where each type tend to put stress on.

how deep were you going?

Are you 100 years old or a baby maybe?

How is it possible to be injured on a leg press?

[quote]bignate wrote:
how deep were you going?[/quote]

both cases were while trying to go deep. lower back injured when my butt came up on last heavy set. hamstring was from light set while warming up. it was just a bad day…

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Are you 100 years old or a baby maybe?

How is it possible to be injured on a leg press?

[/quote]

no exercise is 100% injury proof if you’ve been training long enough with enough weight. one day you’ll be as old as I am and realize it.

I just jinxed it. another hamstring pull while doing lunge today. trainig was going good too recently… sucks but now I need to regress…

[quote]myosaurus wrote:
one day you’ll be as old as I am and realize it.[/quote]

you’re older than a vampire?

highlander?

…jesus?

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]myosaurus wrote:
one day you’ll be as old as I am and realize it.[/quote]

you’re older than a vampire?

highlander?

…jesus?[/quote]

I appreciate sarcastic humor. do you have an answer for my question? leg press with bent seat vs. straight ones and the difference? i dont understand why I’m getting treated like an idiot here?

[quote]myosaurus wrote:
i dont understand why I’m getting treated like an idiot here?[/quote]

relax man.

how come you still want to use a leg press if you have had more than one serious injury from using them?

i would imagine it is either a question of load or ROM rather than the seat design if they have both caused severe injury. Not sure if that is any help you though.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]myosaurus wrote:
i dont understand why I’m getting treated like an idiot here?[/quote]

relax man.

how come you still want to use a leg press if you have had more than one serious injury from using them?

i would imagine it is either a question of load or ROM rather than the seat design if they have both caused severe injury. Not sure if that is any help you though.[/quote]

looking back, many things contributed to the injury I had from them, including load and ROM. that injury was long time ago and I’ve been fine using them ever since. I just wont do those high and narrow stance anymore. guess my question is, which seat design is superior? I have access to both and I now clearly seethe risk involved with either design. I can clearly handle more load with bent seat design.

What leg press machine would dare fuck with Myosaurus?

[quote]myosaurus wrote:

[quote]bignate wrote:

both cases were while trying to go deep. lower back injured when my butt came up on last heavy set. hamstring was from light set while warming up. it was just a bad day…[/quote]

You’re not alone. I did same exact thing. Herniated my my discs a few times trying to go too heavy and too deep and my ass came off pad and also pulled a groin muscle. Now I don’t go as low and only use it for real high reps if I do leg press at all. Doesn’t hit my quads that great anyway. It’s real strange because when I’m doing them my quads burn and get pumped like hell but the next day only my groin and glute ham tie in area is the only areas sore. So basically I only use them as part of a finisher for a pump or part of a depletion workout before a weekend carb load.

Forgot to mention the seats with the lumbar pad are the worst for me. I can’t even use those. If I have no choice and really want to do the leg presses I actually sit my ass above that curve.

[quote]as wrote:

[quote]myosaurus wrote:

[quote]bignate wrote:

both cases were while trying to go deep. lower back injured when my butt came up on last heavy set. hamstring was from light set while warming up. it was just a bad day…[/quote]

You’re not alone. I did same exact thing. Herniated my my discs a few times trying to go too heavy and too deep and my ass came off pad and also pulled a groin muscle. Now I don’t go as low and only use it for real high reps if I do leg press at all. Doesn’t hit my quads that great anyway. It’s real strange because when I’m doing them my quads burn and get pumped like hell but the next day only my groin and glute ham tie in area is the only areas sore. So basically I only use them as part of a finisher for a pump or part of a depletion workout before a weekend carb load.[/quote]

yes depending where you place your feet it either hits qads or hamstrings harder. I do them with med/wide and feet high withtoes elevatd for glute/hamstrings. they really help bringing out that hanging look on hamstrings hen hitting side chest pose.

[quote]as wrote:
Forgot to mention the seats with the lumbar pad are the worst for me. I can’t even use those. If I have no choice and really want to do the leg presses I actually sit my ass above that curve.[/quote]

thank you for the answer. thats what i was trying to find out… how many others feel that lumbar pad is necessary/or dangerous and if necessary, then is leg press meant to be done with rounded back…

i just wouldnt go that far down, i only go as far as i can keep my ass down on them and straight. Also, i only do leg presses at the end of my workouts, my heavy exercises are lunges and split squats, i use leg presses either as ‘dead stops’ for 10-20 reps with medium weight, or continious tension not locking out but also not going super low either as a nice pump for sets fo 20, shits ill, and no back pain and i cant do alot of movements heavy.

[quote]myosaurus wrote:

[quote]as wrote:
Forgot to mention the seats with the lumbar pad are the worst for me. I can’t even use those. If I have no choice and really want to do the leg presses I actually sit my ass above that curve.[/quote]

thank you for the answer. thats what i was trying to find out… how many others feel that lumbar pad is necessary/or dangerous and if necessary, then is leg press meant to be done with rounded back… [/quote]

I think the whole intent of the lumbar pad in those types of presses is to keep an arch in your lower back but still keep your ass on the pad. For me the the lumbar pad doesn’t work, it just rounds out my back. Always keep your ass on the pad, never round out on leg presses or you’re asking for an injury.