Leg Layer Options

@CT:

Now I know you’re not going to like this this, but as of now I do not have access to the DeadSquat bar or a trap bar. I’ve been layering with olympic squats, however I’m unable to obviously hit my true max as I don’t have spotters. Thus it works but submaximal. What are my options?..Stay with the sub max Squat layer, move to deadlifts, or leg press work.

I’m thinking leg press work would enable me to train maximally for now.

Brandon…don’t have access to a dead squat bar.Hit the store button at the top of the screen,problem solved haha.Just playin with ya big guy.

@JP: FO!..Big guy. LOL

Ya ok B. just couldn’t resist man…I thought it was funny.But kidding aside dead squat bar is one of the investment’s.I keep finding new lift’s to do with as well.

@JP: It was funny, thats why I sent you my funny reply.

But yeah I’m not going to drop 600 on a bar and leave it at my gym. Who knows where it will end up and knowing the gym they’ll be like its our property now. So its not gonna happen. Trap bar was to be ordered by them though so that will happen in time.

I never used a spotter in my whole life and can lift just fine! But yeah, I see what you mean… I train in a performance gym with bumper plates if anything comes to worse I can simply drop the barbell to the floor.

Hack squats would be better than leg press. You can also do barbell hack squats if you have long arms (basically a behind the back deadlift with heels elevated on a 25lbs plate).

Deadlifts wont work as well because they do not hit the quads as much.

@CT: Well this is in regards to going max on an olympic squat in a rack…what do you do if you cant get the weight up going to 1RM? In this case I would be able to hit max with the BB Hack Squats cause like you said I have bumpers and can drop weight.

@CT: My gyms a performance gym as well. lol

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@CT: My gyms a performance gym as well. lol[/quote]

Do you have bumpers? If you do why not do squats or front squats and drop the weight if it doesn’t go up (better to do that on front squats though).

@CT: Yeah I have bumpies…how the hell you you push the weight off the back squat??? Freaky!

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@CT: Yeah I have bumpies…how the hell you you push the weight off the back squat??? Freaky! [/quote]

Extend the back explosively to “throw” the bar off and fall forward on your knees… one of the first thing you learn in olympic lifting is how to drop weights.

Oh yes! Thinking about it in a low position that would not be that bad actually…

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
Oh yes! Thinking about it in a low position that would not be that bad actually…[/quote]

No, the worse in on the knees… the only risk is not dropping it far enough, or jumpign forward enough and drop the bar on the lower back… that’s why I said that missing a front squat is better.

@CT:

Front Squatties are so depressing to me. I do have straps now so I will give them a shot again…it truly is the superior squat. Its the comfort and awkwardness that depresses me with them.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@CT:

Front Squatties are so depressing to me. I do have straps now so I will give them a shot again…it truly is the superior squat. Its the comfort and awkwardness that depresses me with them. [/quote]

It’a never comfortable until you get desensitized to them. But to reach that point you need to keep up with it.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@CT:

Front Squatties are so depressing to me. I do have straps now so I will give them a shot again…it truly is the superior squat. Its the comfort and awkwardness that depresses me with them. [/quote]
I with ya on this.I have grown to love front squats but it took a long time to feel pretty good.But still my wrists will hurt after when the weight get’s heavy deep into the layers.Still though i can’t use straps,it just feel’s way awkward for me.Just gotta work on the wrist flexibility more i guess.

@JP: Yeah I’m going to focus on them for 4-6 weeks and see how it goes. I cant do the wrist bend due to my bodies structure. I’ve always done the cross arms with bar on the shoulders…this sucks because the weight causes major pain and shoulder soreness following the workouts. Thus I’m going to try the strap method…

@CT: In regards to “dumping the weight” I use a rack with pins…thus setting the pins just below my ass to grass squat level should be cool for dumping. Front squats will definitely be safer as I master this self spot method.

@brandon. for what its worth. ive been havin trouble with back squats for years. just started doin fr squats from pins with straps so i could do the layer. took about 2 sesions to get used to. a few weeks later i was hitting pr’s on em. once u get the straps set up, it starts rollin.