Leg Extensions for Primary Leg Exercise

Hi guys, i have a problem with legs due to hernia making squat and leg press so sore that battle to breathe
So i basically can only do leg extensions for upper thighs.

I am in a catch 22 situation as if i get it fixed my bodybuilding(started year back again, 43 years old, using Test cypionate only) is gone as then no more heavy lifts according to doctor.

Do any have a plan on what i can do. Maybe rather 12 sets of leg extension twice weekly instead of other heavy work once a week?
Difficult situation
Thanks

What i basically mean is will leg extensions, mega sets still build upper thigh enough. As i cant do leg press etc.
if i get an operation done to fix the problem then bodybuilding basically ovwr for me. No heavy lifting
Allowed therafter
Any other suggestions dor legs so i can go on as normal
Thanks

If you can’t do anything but Leg Extensions, then you don’t exactly have a choice…

It seems to me thats only way,
Will just do heavy and massive amount of sets

Have you considered unilateral exercises?

You’ll most likely be using half the weight, which might allow you to do single leg leg press and lunges.

Why not try prowler or sled type work? Better on joints too.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
Have you considered unilateral exercises?

You’ll most likely be using half the weight, which might allow you to do single leg leg press and lunges.
[/quote]

Exactly what I would’ve said. Ever try stepups, lunges, Bulgarian split squats?

Can you even use light weight on squats?

Can you explain why getting it fixed precludes any further heavy lifts?

[quote]Philippot wrote:
if i get an operation done to fix the problem then bodybuilding basically ovwr for me. No heavy lifting
Allowed therafter[/quote]
What kind of surgery is the doctor talking about that will prevent you from ever lifting weights again? If you can, I’d track down a surgeon with a history of working with athletes and get a consult.

First of all, plenty of guys have hernia repair surgery (like mesh implant) and eventually return to training.
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/hernia_stories

^ 6 big threads over the last 6 years about people training after hernia repair, but yours will have you out of the gym forever? Unlikely, at best.

Secondly, you don’t have to lift heavy to train legs effectively. Plenty of routines use moderate volume and “less than heavy” weights to build muscle. Intensity-boosting techniques (drop sets, slower tempos, exaggerated peak contractions, etc.) can also make “light weights” feel heavy.

Thirdly, techniques like strategic breathing to minimize intra-abdominal pressure (like not holding breath/valsalva’ing, or intentionally breathing out on the concentric) can help minimize stress at the hernia site.

Long story short, if that’s literally the only quad exercise you can do, then that’s that and it’s (technically) better than nothing. But, even without knowing more detail about your injury, I’m pretty sure that’s not really the only option.

Hi guys,
Sorry i tried leg press just lighter and not crushing as low
With more reps and its ok as long as not more than 4 sets
I had a hernia operation at my crotch about 6 years ago with mesh
Insertion but this is the other one
Haetius hernia. Nissen op is normally done
But mine not that big to do op vut big enough
To make leg pres and squat terrible
Basically battle to breath after few reps and
Massive pain
Will use leg press lighter as i did and add aone lunges
Light but enough to work without a prob

Thanks Chris
I will alao look at breathing
Slowly building up
Lighter and more intense, slower etc
Sure i will get a way
My legs were sore after the lighter leg press and extension
Run so it must be fine

There’s an older gentleman on these forums who had a terrific physique in his youth (still does) and did quite well as a competitive bodybuilder. He admitted that he built his quads with nothing but leg extensions.

Anyone remember the guy’s name?

bwhitwell?