Leg Extension Worthless

i just have readen this article

so the question is why ppl still do this exersice and all the best bodybuilder ?

IMO like most other things in the gym they have their use and used in the right way/place, they can be effective and useful.

Making them the focus of a leg session of course is stupid. I use them for either pre-fatiguing my quads before squats or as a ‘pumping exercise’ to finish them off. Super setting them with a quad stretch is great as well (and painful :slight_smile:

I’ve heard of JM calling them ‘leg extinctions’. I think he refers to them as such in the context of making them the primary focus of a leg session as I said above.

[quote]light_night wrote:

so the question is why ppl still do this exersice and all the best bodybuilder ?[/quote]

Because it makes your quads grow. Nothing shaped my quads like high reps extensions (20+ reps).

[quote]lemony2j wrote:
IMO like most other things in the gym they have their use and used in the right way/place, they can be effective and useful.

Making them the focus of a leg session of course is stupid. I use them for either pre-fatiguing my quads before squats or as a ‘pumping exercise’ to finish them off. Super setting them with a quad stretch is great as well (and painful :slight_smile:

I’ve heard of JM calling them ‘leg extinctions’. I think he refers to them as such in the context of making them the primary focus of a leg session as I said above.[/quote]
so u can say that someone who does only free weight for legs workout will get smaller legs than someone who does leg extension (same genetic same food etc…)

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

so the question is why ppl still do this exersice and all the best bodybuilder ?[/quote]

Because it makes your quads grow. Nothing shaped my quads like high reps extensions (20+ reps).[/quote]
man u can’t shape your muscle it is genetic u just can make it grow , or just cutting for less body fat

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

I’ve heard of JM calling them ‘leg extinctions’. I think he refers to them as such in the context of making them the primary focus of a leg session as I said above.[/quote]
so u can say that someone who does only free weight for legs workout will get smaller legs than someone who does leg extension (same genetic same food etc…)[/quote]

That’s too much of a sweeping statement which is why I said IMO. What I’ve found that works for ME and I would guess many others is to use most isolation exercises in this way, same goes for db tricep exts, db flyes etc. not to make these types of exercises the primary focus of your workout but to use them for more of a higher rep pump type of way.

But they definitely have a place in a leg workout where hypertrophy is the main goal.

Leg extensions do far more for my quads than squats ever have.

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

so u can say that someone who does only free weight for legs workout will get smaller legs than someone who does leg extension (same genetic same food etc…)[/quote]

That’s too much of a sweeping statement which is why I said IMO. What I’ve found that works for ME and I would guess many others is to use most isolation exercises in this way, same goes for db tricep exts, db flyes etc. not to make these types of exercises the primary focus of your workout but to use them for more of a higher rep pump type of way.

But they definitely have a place in a leg workout where hypertrophy is the main goal.[/quote]
so how does all the olympic lifter has giant legs ?
do they do leg extension ?

[quote]SSC wrote:
Leg extensions do far more for my quads than squats ever have.[/quote]
this is the first time i hear something like that

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

But they definitely have a place in a leg workout where hypertrophy is the main goal.[/quote]
do they do leg extension ?[/quote]

You are all over the sweeping statements huh?

I have seen Olympic lifters who can front squat ~200kgs with less impressive quads than a lot of body builders.

The difference is that Olympic lifters train for BIGGER LIFTS. Bodybuilders train for BIGGER MUSCLES.

obvi troll

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

[quote]lemony2j wrote:

do they do leg extension ?[/quote]

You are all over the sweeping statements huh?

I have seen Olympic lifters who can front squat ~200kgs with less impressive quads than a lot of body builders.

The difference is that Olympic lifters train for BIGGER LIFTS. Bodybuilders train for BIGGER MUSCLES.[/quote]
i know that but what i mean is that there are alot of olympic lifters who dont do extension and curl and has big legs ,
so in your opinion i have to get leg extension and curl for getting big legs ? coz i have non of them in my home gym

Lemony2j wrote;

I’ve heard of JM calling them ‘leg extinctions’. I think he refers to them as such in the context of making them the primary focus of a leg session as I said above.

this is how I feel as well, the problem is the knee joint is built for compressive force, and the leg extension places shear force on the knee. Years ago when I was in school to become an engineer, I wrote a paper on this very subject, and how over time heavy shear force will open up the knee joint up. Squats, leg press, hack squats, and stuff of this nature all keep compressive force on the knee as it’s meant to operate. During the leg ext. there is no compressive force applied to the knee, and it’s allowed to open up.

After stating this, I personally believe there is still a place for the leg ext. but you need to realize the nature of the force and load accordingly. The leg ext. allows you to isolate the quads all on there own, and target certain areas. This can be valuable to BBer’s. My own left knee was crushed years ago in a fall, so this is something I’m passionate about and have researched obsessively during my recovery. 2cents

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
Lemony2j wrote;

this is how I feel as well, the problem is the knee joint is built for compressive force, and the leg extension places shear force on the knee. Years ago when I was in school to become an engineer, I wrote a paper on this very subject, and how over time heavy shear force will open up the knee joint up. Squats, leg press, hack squats, and stuff of this nature all keep compressive force on the knee as it’s meant to operate. During the leg ext. there is no compressive force applied to the knee, and it’s allowed to open up.
After stating this, I personally believe there is still a place for the leg ext. but you need to realize the nature of the force and load accordingly. The leg ext. allows you to isolate the quads all on there own, and target certain areas. This can be valuable to BBer’s. My own left knee was crushed years ago in a fall, so this is something I’m passionate about and have researched obsessively during my recovery. 2cents

[/quote]
i have in my home gym leg extension/curl attachment to the bench (it’s cant get full ROM because it isnt with cabels )
is it good enough for get all the benefit from the leg curl / extension ?
u said it is for pump so full ROM isnt the most important thing here
anyway my rellay question is : if i can develope legs as good as someone who has machines like curl extension leg press etc =yes/no

Probably with a home gym, you won’t be able to load heavy enough to do much damage to your knee’s, it’s the 400lb stacks that worry me. Anyway I think with the leg ext. a little less ROM makes it less harmful on the joint, the bottom half of the movement is where the knee really gets opened up. Letting your feet move down under your seat so you can get a swing and momentum with heavy weight, seems dangerous to me.

Super-setting light leg ext. with say squats to pump the quads, or some high rep work at the end of your workout is how I would use them. Maybe something like Wendler’s 100 rep set, at the end of your workout. I don’t use leg ext. because I’m training for PLing, but this is how I use them for my clients.

It’s not that I’m some expert on the subject. I just happened to have a training background when I injured my knee, than work-men’s comp. put me into engineering school, so I spent a lot of time studying the knee joint, and dissecting the exercises (from an engineering stand point) I actually convinced my Physical Therapist at the time to let me do leg press instead of leg ext. to strengthen my knee (quad) Hope this helps, sorry if I got carried away, lol

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
Probably with a home gym, you won’t be able to load heavy enough to do much damage to your knee’s, it’s the 400lb stacks that worry me. Anyway I think with the leg ext. a little less ROM makes it less harmful on the joint, the bottom half of the movement is where the knee really gets opened up. Letting your feet move down under your seat so you can get a swing and momentum with heavy weight, seems dangerous to me. Super-setting light leg ext. with say squats to pump the quads, or some high rep work at the end of your workout is how I would use them. Maybe something like Wendler’s 100 rep set, at the end of your workout. I don’t use leg ext. because I’m training for PLing, but this is how I use them for my clients.
It’s not that I’m some expert on the subject. I just happened to have a training background when I injured my knee, than work-men’s comp. put me into engineering school, so I spent a lot of time studying the knee joint, and dissecting the exercises (from an engineering stand point) I actually convinced my Physical Therapist at the time to let me do leg press instead of leg ext. to strengthen my knee (quad) Hope this helps, sorry if I got carried away, lol [/quote]
so u say my bench attachment leg curl/ extension is as good as the gym because anywa i dont need to do all the rom coz it hurt the knee so i just should get as good as legs as if i was at commercial gym do i right ?

SQUAT and LEAVE

Wow…so now leg extensions don’t work anymore.

For all of the “just do squats” talk, there aren’t that many monster quads on this site.

Limit the range with extensions to reduce stress on the knees…but if you want really swole legs, you don’t ignore movements completely like that unless you truly are seeing more progress than most people from the action.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

For all of the “just do squats” talk, there aren’t that many monster quads on this site.

Limit the range with extensions to reduce stress on the knees…but if you want really swole legs, you don’t ignore movements completely like that unless you truly are seeing more progress than most people from the action.

[/quote]
just asked if i couldt develope legs as good as if i would leg extension it is all,
of course i would like to do them but i have non of these machine

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[/quote]
just asked if i couldt develope legs as good as if i would leg extension it is all,
of course i would like to do them but i have non of these machine [/quote]

Then you likely will not reach an “ideal bodybuilding physique” until you find more equipment.

That is just real talk.

You can make progress without it, but trying to act like it is useless because you don’t have access to it is senseless.

In reality, you need to do as much different shit as possible to look fucking huge in the long run.

No bodybuilder on stage ONLY does squats.

This is about hitting your muscles from many different angles…and you work with what you have until you have access to more.