Leg Drive

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]powerbuffman wrote:
so if I lift the hip by pushing torso toward to head to create momentum but hips still partially touching the bench, will it be accepted in the competition?[/quote]

Which federation? I think you missed this the first time I asked.[/quote]

either MSA or USPA.

Here is what the USPA rulebook says

"The lifter must lie on his back with shoulders and buttocks in contact with the flat bench surface.
This position must be maintained throughout the lift. The head may remain flat or rise during the
lift. The lifter has the option of benching while either flat footed, or on the toes, as long as the foot
remains in contact with the lifting platform. The foot may move up and down during the lift. "

As long as you can follow those rules, go nuts. If in doubt, just contact the director of the meet and ask him. Your question about what is and is not allowed in competition is very much situation dependent, as there are dozens of feds and hundreds of meets to compete in, all with different rules, philosophies, and degrees of forgiveness.

I know you guys are saying its mostly support but, I have to say that since I have been honestly working with a bench coach and figuring out how to actually use and time leg drive I have really had my bench take off lately. I am still a completely shitty bencher but, its a lot better than it was. I have very noticeable leg drive almost to the point that I am essentially trying to Push Press the weight off my chest and help blast though my sticking point and then hope my triceps carry it through. Here is a video of todays last set of 20 with 190 on bench. It was a rep/tech day so hence the lighter weights.

[quote]Reed wrote:
I know you guys are saying its mostly support but, I have to say that since I have been honestly working with a bench coach and figuring out how to actually use and time leg drive I have really had my bench take off lately. I am still a completely shitty bencher but, its a lot better than it was. I have very noticeable leg drive almost to the point that I am essentially trying to Push Press the weight off my chest and help blast though my sticking point and then hope my triceps carry it through. Here is a video of todays last set of 20 with 190 on bench. It was a rep/tech day so hence the lighter weights.

Agreed. I engage the legs at the point of starting the press off the chest.