T Nation

Leg Curl Substitute


#1

Are there any exercise that hits the hammies better than leg curl does? Don't say stiff legged deadlift because I feel it more in my lower back and also because it's too taxing to do it at the end of my leg workout.


#2

Romanian Deadlifts and Glute-Ham Raises


#3

I don’t feel this thread is going to go well.


#4

E–I could watch that mini-vid all day; hypnotic it is.

I really need a button, to trigger that on demand, full screen, whenever needed…which in my line of work, would be often.

Sorry, is this what a ‘hijack’ is?

My bad.


#5

[quote]Evolv wrote:
Glute-Ham Raises[/quote]

thanks
i’ve never done this exercise before so might aswell start now


#6

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
I don’t feel this thread is going to go well.[/quote]

sure, it does sounds stupid and probably a waste of time too :slight_smile:

[quote]denver z-man wrote:
E–I could watch that mini-vid all day; hypnotic it is.

I really need a button, to trigger that on demand, full screen, whenever needed…which in my line of work, would be often.

Sorry, is this what a ‘hijack’ is?

My bad.

[/quote]

I don’t mind


#7

I should have added;

If you do lying curls, try the seated version; better stretch/squeeze for me. low to mid reps, Meadows style (done first btw).

Rack pulls superseted/alternated with RDL’s, on a (gasp) Smith Machine. Easy to strip/add plates. Yes, low back, glute AND hamstring on the pulls, but really focused on Hams with the RDL’S. Maybe later, in the same workout as seated curls.

I just did this to finish a back/pulling workout, felt great.
Good luck.


#8

good mornings will work hammies and glutes.


#9

Also Google/YouTube “John Meadows Ham Killers.”


#10

[quote]Sigrid16 wrote:
Are there any exercise that hits the hammies better than leg curl does?[/quote]
According to EMG analysis that Bret Contreras did, a 405-pound conventional deadlift hit the hamstrings harder than just about any other exercise he tested. So, aim for that.

That’s a technique issue and it’s fixable, unless you have a pre-existing low back injury at 17 years old.

[quote]and also because it’s too taxing to do it at the end of my leg workout.
[/quote]
Lifting weights is taxing? Say whaaaa? Well shave my chin and call me Clarice, I simply wouldn’t have expected that.

Dude, not wanting to do an exercise because it hurts is one thing. Not wanting to do it because it’s difficult is another thing entirely. If you want more in-depth input, lay out your entire training week (days, exercises, sets, and reps).


#11

[quote]denver z-man wrote:
I should have added;

If you do lying curls, try the seated version; better stretch/squeeze for me. low to mid reps, Meadows style (done first btw).

Rack pulls superseted/alternated with RDL’s, on a (gasp) Smith Machine. Easy to strip/add plates. Yes, low back, glute AND hamstring on the pulls, but really focused on Hams with the RDL’S. Maybe later, in the same workout as seated curls.

I just did this to finish a back/pulling workout, felt great.
Good luck.

[/quote]

My gym doesn’t have the seated version of the leg curl machine so that part of the reason why I hate doing the lying version, it makes me uncomfortable lol. and oh thanks for the suggestion I’ll add that to my back workout routine.

[quote]hawkcapt1912 wrote:
good mornings will work hammies and glutes.[/quote]
Okay,thanks for the suggestion

[quote]Evolv wrote:
Also Google/YouTube “John Meadows Ham Killers.”
[/quote]

I think I found it

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
According to EMG analysis that Bret Contreras did, a 405-pound conventional deadlift hit the hamstrings harder than just about any other exercise he tested. So, aim for that.

That’s a technique issue and it’s fixable, unless you have a pre-existing low back injury at 17 years old.

Lifting weights is taxing? Say whaaaa? Well shave my chin and call me Clarice, I simply wouldn’t have expected that.

Dude, not wanting to do an exercise because it hurts is one thing. Not wanting to do it because it’s difficult is another thing entirely. If you want more in-depth input, lay out your entire training week (days, exercises, sets, and reps).[/quote]

K got it, but no, it’s not because it’s difficult that I hate doing it, it’s just that I ran out of breath so easily and my grips gave out before I could reach failure.


#12

[quote]Sigrid16 wrote:
K got it, but no, it’s not because it’s difficult that I hate doing it, it’s just that I ran out of breath so easily and my grips gave out before I could reach failure.[/quote]
“Running out of breath” is probably from a (lack of) conditioning, or from rest periods, or from too much total volume in the workout.

The grip issue is really a non-issue. Nothing at all wrong with using straps on a few sets of RDLs if it means more work for the target muscle and less “accidental” grip/forearm work. Just giving some ideas and workarounds.


#13

I think at this point we should probably see a brief outline of your training and goals if you want more detailed advice.


#14

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

“Running out of breath” is probably from a (lack of) conditioning, or from rest periods, or from too much total volume in the workout.

The grip issue is really a non-issue. Nothing at all wrong with using straps on a few sets of RDLs if it means more work for the target muscle and less “accidental” grip/forearm work. Just giving some ideas and workarounds.[/quote]

I usually take a least 3 minutes rest between heavy compound sets, as for the conditioning it’s not that bad I mean like… I can run for an extended period of time without getting exhausted. I hate using straps.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
I think at this point we should probably see a brief outline of your training and goals if you want more detailed advice.[/quote]

I’m currently on the second week of cube method


#15

[quote]Sigrid16 wrote:
I’m currently on the second week of cube method
[/quote]

Honestly, your best bet would be to ask Brandon Lilly. He’ll know the best way to work his program. You could probably message him on facebook directly or join one of the cube groups on facebook.


#16

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Sigrid16 wrote:
I’m currently on the second week of cube method
[/quote]

Honestly, your best bet would be to ask Brandon Lilly. He’ll know the best way to work his program. You could probably message him on facebook directly or join one of the cube groups on facebook.[/quote]

Okay


#17

[quote]Sigrid16 wrote:
I usually take a least 3 minutes rest between heavy compound sets, as for the conditioning it’s not that bad I mean like… I can run for an extended period of time without getting exhausted. I hate using straps.[/quote]

If you are literally out of breath three minutes after a set, then your conditioning sucks. Sorry. Also, concerning the ‘I hate’… Sometimes you have to do things you hate.

That being said, Punisher’s advice to ask the author is probably your best bet. My guess is you won’t listen to anyone on here anyway if you don’t like the answers.


#18

Unfortunately that’s pretty much it.

There’s sitting and laying down leg curls on standard machines.
Occasionally gym’s have alternating single-leg curl machines which is nice to isolate each leg individually.

For freeweight exercises you pretty much have stiff-leg deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts (slightly different), I really enjoy dumbbell stiff leg deadlifts (dumbbells as opposed to barbells allows you to remain closer to your body on the descent and lets you twist your arms via the natural movement of the exercise, going down to your toes with a slight bend in your back so it’s not all concentrated on your erector spinae).

Essentially, they’re all variations of the same movement so you don’t have much selection lol.

Good luck OP