Leg Curl Question

I was doing leg curls for the first time, and I noticed that as I curled the weight, I felt a squeeze/tightness in the ?tendons? that go from the calf to the hamstring. It wasn’t exactly painful, but it was uncomfortable. Anyone know if this is normal, or if it is a sign of weak tendons or something? Thanks in advance.

Happened to me too. Seems to be 1st time annoyance. It should fade away if you get used to the movement. Maybe use a lighter weight or do less reps first. You shouldn’t go near this type of pains since the tendons heal less quickly than muscle and take a longer time to get used to any use. But I wouldn’t worry too much if the pain subsides immediately since this movement (bending the knee with added resistance) is ‘unusual’ for the hamstring so it should feel ‘strange’. (Added info: the main function of the hams is to pull the leg backwards/hip extensor)

unless you pulled your hamstring and are trying to rehab, I would recommend ditching the leg curls and doing more compound movements. (ie squat, romanian deadlift, bulgarian squat)

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
unless you pulled your hamstring and are trying to rehab, I would recommend ditching the leg curls and doing more compound movements. (ie squat, romanian deadlift, bulgarian squat)[/quote]

Thats the only time someone should use a leg curl machine?

Thanks for the replies. So the consensus is that this is normal for beginners, and more high rep work needs to be done to strengthen the tendons?

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
Thanks for the replies. So the consensus is that this is normal for beginners, and more high rep work needs to be done to strengthen the tendons? [/quote]

Yes and a less comprimising exercise like stated above. Things like RDL’s SLDL’s, GM’s etc.

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
I was doing leg curls for the first time, and I noticed that as I curled the weight, I felt a squeeze/tightness in the ?tendons? that go from the calf to the hamstring. It wasn’t exactly painful, but it was uncomfortable. Anyone know if this is normal, or if it is a sign of weak tendons or something? Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Don’t allow your knee to go to full extension.