T Nation

Left Tricep Pain When Benching

Idk if this post belongs here but when benching my left tricep is straining througout the movement and feels unusally sore, before this pain my max was 185x7 and now its down to 185x5, it all started when I was doing explosive push ups right before benching about a week ago, before that explosive push ups got my chest warmed up for bench. I bench with a wide grip index finger at the rings or if narrow ring finger at the rings. The pain feels like its in the middle and throughout the tricep and is at its greatest at lockout.

We need an injury forum.

I got nothing. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation (RICE). If it doesn’t go away, check out the ‘Trainers Talking Shop’ thread in the GAL and PM someone in it that writes intelligently, asking them your question.

thanks

[quote]JoabSonOfZeruiah wrote:
… when benching my left tricep is straining througout the movement and feels unusally sore, before this pain my max was 185x7 and now its down to 185x5, it all started when I was doing explosive push ups right before benching about a week ago[/quote]

I hope that, at the very least, you’ve removed explosive push-ups from your workouts in the meantime.

I’m not the greatest Internet-injury-diagnoser, but because it’s only in one arm and you only noticed it after a certain exercise, I’d chalk it up to iffy technique on the explosive push-ups (which can be hard on the elbows, especially if you haven’t done any plyometric bodyweight work recently).

Do you notice any similar feeling during any triceps exercises or other presses (for chest or shoulders)?

Like I said, easiest solution would be to just avoid that exercise. Why were you including it, anyway?

Sometimes, even though we have good intentions for including a certain exercise or technique, not everyone is built (or conditioned enough) to handle every option. One constant thought in your programming should be, “Okay, this looks good on paper, but can I actually, physically do it?” If not, there’s always a way around it.

It also sounds like the only warming up you are doing are the ballistic pushups. If this is true then that needs to change. I take it you read the ballistics training article? The pushups are there to activate those FT Fibers and prime the nervous system, but not replace any warming up. You need to properly warmup and ramp to weight to prevent such things.

[quote]tokyopop wrote:
It also sounds like the only warming up you are doing are the ballistic pushups. If this is true then that needs to change. I take it you read the ballistics training article? The pushups are there to activate those FT Fibers and prime the nervous system, but not replace any warming up. You need to properly warmup and ramp to weight to prevent such things.[/quote]

Yeah that was the only warmup I was doing, I did read the ballistic article.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Do you notice any similar feeling during any triceps exercises or other presses (for chest or shoulders)?

Like I said, easiest solution would be to just avoid that exercise. Why were you including it, anyway?

Sometimes, even though we have good intentions for including a certain exercise or technique, not everyone is built (or conditioned enough) to handle every option. One constant thought in your programming should be, “Okay, this looks good on paper, but can I actually, physically do it?” If not, there’s always a way around it.[/quote]

I am avoiding that exercise for now but I noticed a similar feeling(on monday) although less painful when i was doing dumbbell flys. I was doing the explosive push ups because i read the ballistic training article, though i never done polymetric work before for chest.

before this pain my max was 185x7 and now its down to 185x5 [/quote]

im gonna be the one to say it. you might actually be “over trained”. that word has become a joke but seroiusly i would say take a 1 week rest (absolutely no bench or direct triceps work) and hit it again. thats always been the best and most successful route for me.

edit: oshit, wait this is posted in beginners? how long have you been training? in all seriousness its quite possible u need to man the fuck up and deal with this thing called fatigue.

tokyopop wrote:
It also sounds like the only warming up you are doing are the ballistic pushups. If this is true then that needs to change. I take it you read the ballistics training article? The pushups are there to activate those FT Fibers and prime the nervous system, but not replace any warming up. You need to properly warmup and ramp to weight to prevent such things.

Yeah that was the only warmup I was doing, I did read the ballistic article.[/quote]

Ok so try leaving out the ballistic pushups for now until you feel that your tricep has recovered. Then you can throw them back in there, but you MUST warm up enough and build up to your working sets. You cant just walk in and start repping with your 8rm, and you also cant warm up with say 66lbs then jump straight to 185 or whatever you are pressing.

If then you feel the pain coming back then you will most likely have to drop the ballistic pushups all together (I imagine they must be hard on the elbows too).

There are other ways to prime the nervous system and activate the FT Fibers so you may be better off trying those ways. My 2c…