T Nation

Left to Right Squat :s

i no there has been a million other posts about squating. but none seem to address the problem i sometimes have.

i go for 5x5 ATG squats.at least once in every set ill be half way up and i seem to push more with my left leg, go slightly to the right then have to shift to the left to even things out. i sometimes think im imaging this. i work out with a few powerlifer/strongmen types and none of them jave ever noticed this. but it worries me slightly.

Push your legs out when you squat, I used to have this problem too.

out… as inaway from my body?

I think he means take a wider stance.

I believe Cressey has addressed this issue, recommending single leg squats to correct strength imbalance.

I could be wrong, but unilateral work has helped my lagging left quad get up to speed with my right…

-Rowesk

Not necessarily wide stance but it does help,but yes push your legs away from your body, think about spreading the floor with your legs. Single leg work will help too.

[quote]roweski wrote:
I think he means take a wider stance.

I believe Cressey [?] has addressed this issue, recommending single leg squats to correct strength imbalance.

I could be wrong, but unilateral work has helped my lagging left quad get up to speed with my right…

-Rowesk[/quote]

ive been doing Bulgarian Split Squats aswell.

its not a strength issue i dont think. its a fucking weird feeling.

It’s kind of hard to spread the floor when you’re doing atg squats, the feet are closer together.

[quote]JoeG254 wrote:
Not necessarily wide stance but it does help,but yes push your legs away from your body, think about spreading the floor with your legs. Single leg work will help too.[/quote]

Disagreed on how to do it, but I know what you mean.

Point your toes slightly outward, and remember that your knees will move “out” in the same direction your toes are pointing. Forceable push your knees out away from your center, especially on the concentric portion of the lift–it’s really easy to let the knees fall in during that portion. it should feel like you’re sitting down between your ankles at the bottom.

Watch this:
http://thefitcast.com/?p=108

That exactly what i do. i might try to get a video.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
JoeG254 wrote:
Not necessarily wide stance but it does help,but yes push your legs away from your body, think about spreading the floor with your legs. Single leg work will help too.

Point your toes slightly outward, and remember that your knees will move “out” in the same direction your toes are pointing. Forceable push your knees out away from your center, especially on the concentric portion of the lift–it’s really easy to let the knees fall in during that portion. it should feel like you’re sitting down between your ankles at the bottom.

Watch this:
http://thefitcast.com/?p=108[/quote]

Different strokes for different folks I guess, when I had to conciously push my legs out the spreading the floor cue helped me to

[quote]JoeG254 wrote:
boyscout wrote:
JoeG254 wrote:

Watch this:
http://thefitcast.com/?p=108

Different strokes for different folks I guess, when I had to conciously push my legs out the spreading the floor cue helped me to
[/quote]

Yep. Doesn’t really matter as long as you’re beating the log book and squatting well.