T Nation

Left Lateral Menisectomy, Squats and Deads

I am 18 years old and I tore my left lateral meniscus about 4 months ago and got surgery in March. They took 10% of my meniscus and I followed surgery with PT until I realized she had no idea what she was talking about for what I want to do. I was told I would never be able to squat to 90 degrees again by my PT or I would have arthritis by 25 and need a knee replacement. The surgeon and PT both told me to do high rep low weight accessory work to build up for squats and only squat to 90 if I have to at meets. I waited until 4 days ago to squat again and am taking it easy. I got no pain from squatting but when I attempted bringing dead lifts back I got severe hamstring tightness the following day. I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences as me. Am I screwing myself over by gradually getting back to heavy deads and squats? I planned to compete in April pre injury and would like to get back to meets soon. Powerlifting is something I would like to continue doing for the rest of my life. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!