Left Hook Power

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Got the link to work. Yeah, now that I see the video I understand what you guys are saying. He does over-rotate his fist and it is much too extended. My mistake for disagreeing with you Irish. I see what you were talking about now.[/quote]

It’s all good.

I’ve never seen anyone else throw a hook like that. The guy’s other videos are damn good, but this one is just strange!

Great find with Graden, Sentoguy. A karate instructor teaching the left hook! If you hadn’t provided the link I would have laughed at you.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
Great find with Graden, Sentoguy. A karate instructor teaching the left hook! If you hadn’t provided the link I would have laughed at you.[/quote]

LOL. I was just thinking that.

That video is excellent though. Thanks Sento.

No problem.

Graden is one of Joe Lewis’s high ranking black belts (8th degree I believe).

Joe Lewis is, as I stated before, one of the best striking coaches alive bar none. The guy has trained with John Futch, Angelo Dundee, Cus D’mato, Sugar Ray Robinson, Mohammed Ali, and the list goes on.

Basically a who’s who list of the best boxers and boxing coaches of this century. Not to mention top Muay Thai coaches, fighters, Karateka, and of course was Bruce Lee’s prize student.

So, while John and Joe started in Karate, I honestly would say that they are as qualified to teach/coach boxing as all but maybe a couple people alive today.

I was actually really surprised/excited to find a video by Graden on Youtube. I’ve had the luck of getting to train with Lewis (met Graden, but didn’t actually train with him) and the guy is a walking encyclopedia of all things striking. An incredible coach and striker.

Sorry for the rant. But, if anyone ever has a chance to train with Joe, do it. You won’t be disappointed.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
It really has a lot to do with the weight shift. There is also proper mechanics, and of course timing.

Like any strike there is a kinetic chain of movements that must occur at the right time.

I’d suggest practicing some horizontal/lateral elbows. Once you get the feeling of how to generate maximum force with the elbow, try applying the same body mechanics to the hook.[/quote]

ditto on this…if you look at Mike Tyson’s hooks, you’ll notice if he misses, he elbows the guys he’s fighting a lot.

I have a problem, when I throw a left hook I feel light cartilage cracking in my shoulder. Not painful at all just annoying, I was wondering if this is do to technique or me not doing shoulder rehab work when lifting weights.Could dips be the problem? It only feels weird when throwing a hard hook.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I have a problem, when I throw a left hook I feel light cartilage cracking in my shoulder. Not painful at all just annoying, I was wondering if this is do to technique or me not doing shoulder rehab work when lifting weights.Could dips be the problem? It only feels weird when throwing a hard hook.[/quote]

This used to happen to me. In my case it was just too much swing nad not enough body english.

In other words, make sure you’re not just swingin’ your fist. Watch Graden’s video and copy it.