Left Arm Smaller Than Right?

Been working out for 3 years now…
i am a right handed person…
my left arm is one inch smaller than my right arm what to do to make it equal my right is 15 and left is 14???
even is strength wise my right arm is much stronger…
its like i do concentration curl 15 kg for 8 reps in my right arm but do hardly one in my left…
what to do to make it equal???

I have the same thing, only not to such a degree.

I just do my direct arm work with DBs, and let the weaker arm decide weight and number of reps at that weight. I just have the stronger what do whatever the weaker can.

I’m pretty sure that’s the right way to go about it!

yep

I tore my dominant bicep, couldnt train it directly for a year… things evened out.

S

I’m right dominant and my left bicep has a rounder belly than my right. I think because even though I do the same amount of curls for both arms, if I do 10 reps with my right, I have to help my left arm get in that last rep because it’s weaker. Don’t know how yours got that way though.

[quote]sed26 wrote:
I’m right dominant and my left bicep has a rounder belly than my right. I think because even though I do the same amount of curls for both arms, if I do 10 reps with my right, I have to help my left arm get in that last rep because it’s weaker. Don’t know how yours got that way though.[/quote]

haha, same thing as me, but opposite arms, my left is stronger, but the right has a better peak, left is still a tad bigger though.

A couple things to consider.

-Whatever type of split you are using, switch to a split that allows you to train biceps first in your workout. Then perform an entire dumbbell workout with your biceps. Often times if you hit biceps after back or do barbell curls first, you end up dominating the exercise with one arm. Then when you perform isolation exercises the dominate arm is fatigued. Even though the left is smaller the size difference may lie with the tricep and not the bicep. This will allow you discern if the left bicep is getting fatigued with the compound and or barbell exercise.

-You have done the above and nothing has changed, arm still smaller, and weaker from the start of the workout. Take a look in the mirror. Is the left shoulder higher or closer to the chest wall than the right? There may be some neuro-vascular entrapment that is causing less blood flow, and nerve impulses to be delivered to the left arm. See a professional in this case. Physical therapy or massage therapy (ART, neuromuscular, Trigger point therapy, deep tissue etc.) can correct muscular imbalances. Typically scalene, Pec Min, levator scapulae, upper trap tension can cause shoulder elevation and entrapment.

Good luck.

I thought I was the only freak out there. I’m a righty, but I’m muscularly dominant on the left side everywhere. I know that my left trap, shoulder, and upper arm are tight and overactive as hell from playing (upright) bass for several hours a day.

However, my left spinal erector, glute, ham, and all the way down to the calf are also stronger/bigger than the right side. It used to be worse, but stretching has improved it greatly. I don’t know how you can stretch the biceps effectively, but getting rid of flexibility/mobility imbalances in the upper body should help.

For what it’s worth, my right biceps also inserts about an inch higher from the elbow.

My left looks alot bigger and has a better peak while my right seems to be stronger. I am predominantly right handed, but I have been mostly ambidextrous most of my life It’s really not that much of a difference though, my left is 17.25" and the right is 17" on the nose.

[quote]ashe555 wrote:
my left arm is one inch smaller than my right arm what to do to make it equal my right is 15 and left is 14???
its like i do concentration curl 15 kg for 8 reps in my right arm but do hardly one in my left…
what to do to make it equal??? [/quote]

I am more worried that you have been lifting for three whole years and your arms are still anywhere near 15 and 14".

i’m a righty but my left side is definitly stronger and a little bigger. my problem is with my right tricep, it is somewhat smaller than my left. the odd part is, i feel like i can’t get as good of a contraction with my lagging tricep as I can with my dominent.

Dips, thousands of them.

[quote]Train_smart wrote:
i’m a righty but my left side is definitly stronger and a little bigger. my problem is with my right tricep, it is somewhat smaller than my left. the odd part is, i feel like i can’t get as good of a contraction with my lagging tricep as I can with my dominent. [/quote]

Hmnn Prof X raises an interesting point. How big were your arms when you started? You might want to examine your entire workout regime. Before I started training I weighed 150 lbs, and my arms were both 14" (I was already 20 years old, 5’9, and skinny as hell). I’m not saying that you should be putting on an inch a year or some BS like that, but have you made any progress?

S

I have to agree with X and Stu… if you’ve been training for 3 years and you still have 14 inch arms, either your training wrong or not eating enough. check your diet first and make sure you’re eating enough to make the gains you want.

If by some chance your actual goal is to only have 14 of 15 inch arms, please disregard everything I’ve said because I have no idea how to train that way.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ashe555 wrote:

I am more worried that you have been lifting for three whole years and your arms are still anywhere near 15 and 14".

[/quote]

yes it is a lack of diet and incorrect exercise…and frankly speaking i have gotten serious only a year back…and my arms before starting were like 12.5…

[quote]ashe555 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ashe555 wrote:

yes it is a lack of diet and incorrect exercise…and frankly speaking i have gotten serious only a year back…and my arms before starting were like 12.5… [/quote]

You’re a guy?

my main goal was fat loss…only now i’m focusing on building muscles…

ashe555 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ashe555 wrote:

yes it is a lack of diet and incorrect exercise…and frankly speaking i have gotten serious only a year back…and my arms before starting were like 12.5…

You’re a guy?
[/quote]
YES

[quote]ashe555 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ashe555 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ashe555 wrote:

You’re a guy?

YES
[/quote]

I wasn’t trying to insult you. I just find it strange that so many GUYS are now starting training with such minimal natural development. I mean, 12.5" would mean you only had bone and skin on your arms for the most part. Do you guys even take out the trash by yourselves before you ever hit the gym?

ashe555 wrote:

[/quote]

sorry to hijack but have one quick question, when you guys measure arms, is that reaxed and straight with no pump, or flexed no pump, or flexed and pumped? thanks.