T Nation

Lecturer Don't Know Jack

He i am in a lecture and this guy up front says that in order to get big/build muscle…u eat carbs. i know a little about protein turn-over in the synthesis of DNA and that we need a constant suppy of it to facilitate this…so where do i go for further information(not to prove him wrong)but for my own knowledge?

[quote]quadzilla wrote:
He i am in a lecture and this guy up front says that in order to get big/build muscle…u eat carbs. i know a little about protein turn-over in the synthesis of DNA and that we need a constant suppy of it to facilitate this…so where do i go for further information(not to prove him wrong)but for my own knowledge? [/quote]

He’s not wrong. Unless he said eat carbs at the expense of protein. You need carbs to fuel muscle development in my opinion. It’s not gonna happen very well on a ketogenic or even low-carb non-ketogenic diet. Besides, where else are you gonna get quality calories in a bulk. Even if you’re eating 2 g of protein per lb bodyweight like I am and a good amount of healthy unsaturated (and some saturated) fat, you will be eating plenty of clean, healthy carbs to meet your calorie totals.

insulin is anabolic

correct…but dont u need protein to facilitate this or can insulin do this on its own? given the choice: do u sacrifice protein over carbs or visa versa (all things been equal)
thanks for help thus far,im still coming to grips with it all

[quote]quadzilla wrote:
correct…but dont u need protein to facilitate this or can insulin do this on its own? given the choice: do u sacrifice protein over carbs or visa versa (all things been equal)
thanks for help thus far,im still coming to grips with it all[/quote]

Why are you sacrificing one or the other? To build muscle, you need ample amounts of both protein and carbs. To cut fat, you can maintain muscle on a low-carb diet if you fuel your workouts and pay attention to post-workout nutrition. Although very low-carb, even the Velocity diet utilizes carbs post-workout.

[quote]quadzilla wrote:
thanks for help thus far,im still coming to grips with it all[/quote]

All things are not equal.Proteins do not equal carbs and carbs do not equal fat.None of them are equal. They all serve the function that the body deems most necessary.You don’t need to sacrifice any of them. You need to meet the demand with supply and ballance them.
Too many times have I sat and listened to someone who I thought wasn’t making any sense. The problem wasn’t that they didn’t know what they were talking about. The problem was that I didn’t know what they were talking about. Remain teachable.

As I understand it, the body is primarily composed of:

• Protein

• Fat (cell membranes, brain is about
    60% fat,adds elasticity to tendons,
    and keeps joints grease)

• Minerals

• Water
    The body is not composed of carbs. It can store carbs and use them for fuel.
    Carbs are not NECESSARY for life. The Inuit have lived for centuries on protein and fat.

If your body senses a shortage of one of the NECESSARY building blocks mentioned above, wouldn’t it consider this a threat to the survival of the body and go into a catabolic state and start to produce cortisol?

Doesn’t the body basically rebuild and repair all our body’s cells on a regualr basis, something like every 6 months? Just some questions I had?

TNT

Actualy, and this is a loose description, the body will break down almost everything you put in it, and convert it to whatever it deems necesary, storing the rest as fat. This is mainly a function of the liver and pancreas. There is a lot more to it than this, but it’s been a while since I cracked a physiology text. For a better understanding of this, look up deamination of protiens,glucogenesis and lipogenesis. Then move on to the kidneys,vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes.
And don’t forget the Krebs and Cory cycles.
That should keep you busy for about a year.

a year? we’v just started this in lectures and i got 4wks till exams :slight_smile: thanks 4help and where to go

if you dont know where or how to go about finding the relevant information then who exactly doesnt know jack? You or the lecturer.