T Nation

Lebenese Civil War?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/08/lebanon.hezbollah/index.html

I guess we’ll see if it escalates. I am sure they’ll find a way to blame Israel…

And I’m sure the rest of the world will find a way to blame the US too. It never fails.

I’m pretty sure we should be expecting conflict every spring/summertime in Lebanon from now on.

Gun battles also happen in Saint Louis right now.

I think heat just brings violence for any reason, politics just make it easier.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
Gun battles also happen in Saint Louis right now.

I think heat just brings violence for any reason, politics just make it easier.[/quote]

Have the savages there gotten ahold of Iranian dumb-fired rockets yet?

No, but me and my friend were in a bar in the central west side of the city which is the ‘nice area’ and basically walked into a ‘territory’ or ‘drug deal gone bad sort of thing,’ and almost got shot.

I shit you not there was literally a gunbattle going on in front of us at about 1:30 in the morning.

Imagine if thugs in the USA started thinking politically, my god, all hell would break loose.

St Louis is not Beirut. For an interesting read on the background on the fighting, take a look at an autobiographical account of the prior civil war, From Israel to Damascus by Robert Hatem (aka Cobra), a former member of one of the Christian militia. The book was/is banned in Lebanon, but available online.

http://www.aceviper.net/members/cobra/intro.html

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
I’m pretty sure we should be expecting conflict every spring/summertime in Lebanon from now on. [/quote]

It’s great weather to kill your enemies.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
No, but me and my friend were in a bar in the central west side of the city which is the ‘nice area’ and basically walked into a ‘territory’ or ‘drug deal gone bad sort of thing,’ and almost got shot.

I shit you not there was literally a gunbattle going on in front of us at about 1:30 in the morning.

Imagine if thugs in the USA started thinking politically, my god, all hell would break loose.[/quote]

What is politics but thuggery in another form? I’ve been shot at in an area adjacent to Bel Air. Fortunately, the morons were using bird shot instead of buckshot. I understand the feeling. It makes one want to start packing, except that packing carries with it a paranoia of its own.

[quote]pat wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
I’m pretty sure we should be expecting conflict every spring/summertime in Lebanon from now on.

It’s great weather to kill your enemies.[/quote]

Well, the cycle of late is Hizballah (lit. the party of God) gets weapons from Syria, who gets them from Iran. They shoot them off in the spring and summer at Israel and spend the fall and winter restocking under the watchful eye of the UN. Southern Lebanon didn’t use to be Shia. They let the Shia in, then Lebanon went bye bye. It’s a shame to see the land of the Phoenicians reduced to such a wreck.

You can blame Syria for a lot of problems there. After taking over Lebanon in the 80’s, they disbanded all the militias except for Hezbollah, probably because they were anti-Israel. No sense for muslims to keep Druse or Christian militias, is there?

But Hezbollah should have been disarmed back then also.

A good spot for updates on this:

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:

[/quote]

Totten seems to be one of the most credible, unbiased, sources in the middle east.

Welp, so far Hezbolah’s winning. We can expect the fashion police to move in soon and start beating the shit out of women who are in full burqua’s before long. After all it’s for their own honor and protection.

The government is pussying out and surrendering all over…It is a bonafide coup de tau.

It looks suspicious though, doesn’t it? Perhaps this has been pre-aggreed to and this is all for show?

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:

Totten seems to be one of the most credible, unbiased, sources in the middle east.

[/quote]

No, he’s generally a fellow traveller with the neocons and their agenda. But give the guy credit, he’s over there reporting from the front lines, independently.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:

[/quote]

Yep.

I don’t understand what they are trying to accomplish. Lebanon apparently cut off communication to Hez’s military network, so Hez feels that war is declared and takes over government offices and hands them over to the Lebanese military.

It seems like they are just trying to prove a point and not occupy the country. How a country allows a militia military to exist and grow strong in it’s borders is beyond me. It’s just another example of how large countries use smaller weaker countries to be there bitch and wage war by proxy.

The middle east is a nightmare region.

• Adam

[quote]adamhum wrote:
It seems like they are just trying to prove a point and not occupy the country. How a country allows a militia military to exist and grow strong in it’s borders is beyond me. [/quote]

When your military fails at protecting your borders, and a militia does a better job at it, you’re pretty much forced to allow it to exist. Else, you’ll have huge riots on your hands.

While it may currently be the case to some extent, the group is a grassroots resistance movement, not some pion as your statement suggests. It thrives thanks to private donations from the Lebanese people. It sure gets support from Syria and Iran, but the group remains independent. The idea that they’re anyone’s bitch is preposterous.

Can’t argue with that!

Thank you for that laughable gloss.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
While it may currently be the case to some extent, the group is a grassroots resistance movement, not some pion as your statement suggests. It thrives thanks to private donations from the Lebanese people. It sure gets support from Syria and Iran, but the group remains independent. The idea that they’re anyone’s bitch is preposterous.

Thank you for that laughable gloss. [/quote]

Damn, you beat me too…Lixy, you are hitting a new level of low today. What the fuck? Hezbolah are a bunch of murdering thugs who are ultra fanatical and nasty, everything you claim, you aren’t but you’re happy to support them. Is this the moderate islam you are preporting is the norm in islam not “freaks” like al qaeda? These anti semitic murders, are they moderate?