Leben Tests Positive for Roids

Generally an opinion should be informed. Whether that information comes from first-hand experience or some other education is less important. But, again, there should be some actual knowledge rather than, “Gee, I just thought of this idea and need to share it.”

I do not comment on bodybuilding competitions. I know how to gain muscle and lose fat, but I do not have any opinion on water manipulation, or drug use (beyond some recommendations that would apply generally).

If someone said, “I need to cut 5 pounds for a bodybuilding show, what should I do?” do you know what my answer would be? Nothing. I would not comment because I have no specialized education or personal experience. I would STFU.

Now, if someone wanted to cut weight for MMA, I would have an opinion.

So, yeah, people should know what they fuck they are talking about before they start talking about something.

When guys talk about MMA fighters using steroids to “get jacked,” I know that person is full out shit and completely outside of the scene. It’s as revealing as saying a mixed martial artist should have a 3X BW deadlift, lol. Some things just tip people who know off that the speaker is full of shit.

There is nothing wrong with ignorance. There is, however, something wrong with sharing one’s ignorant views.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
B rocK wrote:
That guy is a moron.

He is a shitty fighter.

I hope he doesn’t come back after his 9mo suspension.

It’s a waste to see him fight; he just loses.

Oh, he’s “got knockout power”

That saying is the most retarded thing, you can say that about anyone. If my 90lb g/f hit me in the “spot” just right…should SHE have “knockout power”??

Later Leben.

You’re a nobody on the internet who, no matter how hard you try, will never reach the level he has - fighting in the premier mma organization in the world. The guy has a ton of heart, manages to win fights despite not being the most athletically gifted individual, and is a pretty nice all around person despite his battles with his own personal demons. Who the fuck are you again?

PS- your 90 lbs g/f would probably blow him if she ran into him at a club…think about that next time you’re kissing her[/quote]

Sorry I disagree somewhat I lost a hell of a lot of respect for leben when he just got caught cheating.

[quote]dylan10507 wrote:
slimjim wrote:
B rocK wrote:
That guy is a moron.

He is a shitty fighter.

That saying is the most retarded thing, you can say that about anyone. If my 90lb g/f hit me in the “spot” just right…should SHE have “knockout power”??

Later Leben.

You’re a nobody on the internet who, no matter how hard you try, will never reach the level he has - fighting in the premier mma organization in the world. The guy has a ton of heart, manages to win fights despite not being the most athletically gifted individual, and is a pretty nice all around person despite his battles with his own personal demons. Who the fuck are you again?

PS- your 90 lbs g/f would probably blow him if she ran into him at a club…think about that next time you’re kissing her

Sorry I disagree somewhat I lost a hell of a lot of respect for leben when he just got caught cheating.
[/quote]

I agree, there are fighters who don’t “use.” The ones who choose to do so, are cheating. They are creating an unfair advantage. Obviously this does not guarantee them a win, but it is CHEATING! There are people out there who play by the rules. We should all respect that. I think it is sad to say “Fuck it, everyone does it.”

[quote]dylan10507 wrote:
slimjim wrote:
B rocK wrote:
That guy is a moron.

He is a shitty fighter.

Later Leben.

PS- your 90 lbs g/f would probably blow him if she ran into him at a club…think about that next time you’re kissing her

[/quote]

You disagree wtih what? Nothing you wrote contradicts what slim jim wrote

I’m going to shift this a bit. From a marketing perspective, Dana White woyuld do himself and the UFC a favor by dumping Leben.

His “bad boy” “slow minded” bit was entertaining on TUF but adding roids to the mix runs dangerously against the equities the UFC has been working so hard to build. This seems like a very minor thing to those of us around bodybuilding and powerlifting but to an operation like the UFC it can spark witch hunts (like MLB) that accomplish nothing but discredit the UFC and the Nevada athletic org. That’s when “mainstream sponsors” with deep pockets run for cover.

Dana really stepped up and stood by Rampage and treated him like family because he had earned that equity…Leben is just not a good investment. My 2 cents.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Generally an opinion should be informed. Whether that information comes from first-hand experience or some other education is less important. But, again, there should be some actual knowledge rather than, “Gee, I just thought of this idea and need to share it.”
[/quote]

I understand and agree that people shouldn’t just have stupid ideas and blurt them out…it’s a waste. I don’t believe that I threw out ‘ideas’ as much as opinions…and I would assume that it’s not the only opinion on this thread/site. So I’ll just assume that you were making a general statement.

[quote]
So, yeah, people should know what they fuck they are talking about before they start talking about something.

When guys talk about MMA fighters using steroids to “get jacked,” I know that person is full out shit and completely outside of the scene. It’s as revealing as saying a mixed martial artist should have a 3X BW deadlift, lol. Some things just tip people who know off that the speaker is full of shit.

There is nothing wrong with ignorance. There is, however, something wrong with sharing one’s ignorant views.[/quote]

Again, I agree…people “should” know what the fuck they are talking about…if they are trying to state facts or push their views on someone. I don’t believe that I was; so again, I will assume you were making another general statement.

I didn’t re-read the entire thread; but I can’t quite recall anyone saying that he used it to “get jacked”…that sounds more like a bb.com statement to me lol.

If you think I’m a ‘total retard’; that’s your opinion…so whatever.

But this is a very annonymous forum, and not everyone know everyone…so before you make claims that you know who does what, and who doesn’t…make sure you are certain. You saying “You don’t train, so STFU…” is just ignorant (IMO). You don’t know me well enough to know what I have or haven’t done…so I would appreciate it if you took that into consideration.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Shocker. Not.

What does remain shocking:

1. People believe that Leben is the exception; and that few use.
  2. That Leben didn’t hire a consultant for his cycle.

Let’s see… He was fined 33% of his purse (at least 8K), and suspended for 9 months. He’d usually fight twice in 9 months on a 25K/25K (show/win) schedule. He gets sponsorship payouts, too. (Sponsorships are usually equal to a figher’s purse). How much coin did he just lose?

So instead of paying someone who actually knows his shit to make sure he tested clean, he took the stuff on his own. Not smart economics.

If you’re going to use, hire professionals. Why do you think so few guys get caught? It ain’t because only a few “cheaters” are using.

Truth.

One thing that is interesting is that England has no athletic commission, and this test was performed internally by the UFC. Perhaps that was unexpected for him.
[/quote]

Or maybe it was a way for the UFC to make some kind of statement.

Maybe he asked for money or wanted to break contract.

Ok I am just curious maybe I hang out with and know different people. But how many fighters do people assume are not using something that is probably not licensed for the way it is being used or is just plain illegal in the US.

It is hard to put your body through that abuse without help

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
Ok I am just curious maybe I hang out with and know different people. But how many fighters do people assume are not using something that is probably not licensed for the way it is being used or is just plain illegal in the US.

[/quote]

I would say usage in the UFC is pretty high…upwards of 60% of fighters…and that’s a conservative estimate.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
apbt55 wrote:

I would say usage in the UFC is pretty high…upwards of 60% of fighters…and that’s a conservative estimate.[/quote]

very conservative indeed…

you can pretty much spot those guys a mile away, some dont even try to hide it. I’d bet most of my favorite fighters are included on that list.

Waaaaah. Go back to the Pokemon forum, or wherever children hang out these days.

joshjuk wrote: I agree, there are fighters who don’t “use.” The ones who choose to do so, are cheating. They are creating an unfair advantage. Obviously this does not guarantee them a win, but it is CHEATING! There are people out there who play by the rules. We should all respect that. I think it is sad to say “Fuck it, everyone does it.”

Waaaaah. Go back to the Pokemon forum, or wherever children hang out these days.[/quote]

Say what you want, but just like in any other sport, if you get caught CHEATING, they fuck you. Leben is going to lose out on a lot of money.

There will ALWAYS be people trying to get an advantage over their opponents, some people choose hard work, others CHEAT. Says a lot about their character imo.

I don’t have a problem with steroid use at all. Only when someone breaks the rules of their sport. The percentage of UFC “users” is high, but think about it from the view of sponsors and outsiders, who don’t know much about the subject of steroid use at all. It looks bad for the sport as a whole. This is quite the opposite of what Dana is trying to do. Not that it always matters, Leben still lost. How much of an advantage it gives a fighter is a whole other topic.

You are a retard. Fighters take steroids so that they can choose hard work.

Guys don’t juice as an easy way out. Guys juice so they can work harder.

Why is that so hard for you people to understand?

Again, stick to trading Pokemons. You won’t need steroids to recover from a hard card-trading session.

joshjuk wrote:There will ALWAYS be people trying to get an advantage over their opponents, some people choose hard work, others CHEAT.

Again, stick to trading Pokemons. You won’t need steroids to recover from a hard card-trading session.[/quote]

No shit, trust me, you can work hard without steroids. I don’t know what your obsession with pokemon is, but whatever. You seem to be afraid to address the actual point of what I said, it is CHEATING! your reading comprehension is awful. Again, nothing wrong with steroids, unless the sport you play says they are against the rules. Have some self respect, work hard (it can be done without the use of steroids).

I am just stating my opinion. I am curious, what do you think. Speaking about the UFC, do you think the use of steroids should be allowed because everyone is doing it? What about any unfair advantage this creates? Does it create enough of an advantage to warrant this type of discipline (In Leben’s case he still lost obviously)? What about the image of the UFC that Dana has to protect? Do fighters caught using banned substanes look bad for the sport(from the perspective of fans and sponsors)? Finally, is it cheating to gain any sort of “chemical” advantage over your opponent?

It just seems like you are very touchy on this subject, I want your honest opinion.

[quote]joshjuk wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
joshjuk wrote:There will ALWAYS be people trying to get an advantage over their opponents, some people choose hard work, others CHEAT.

Again, stick to trading Pokemons. You won’t need steroids to recover from a hard card-trading session.

No shit, trust me, you can work hard without steroids. I don’t know what your obsession with pokemon is, but whatever. You seem to be afraid to address the actual point of what I said, it is CHEATING! your reading comprehension is awful. Again, nothing wrong with steroids, unless the sport you play says they are against the rules. Have some self respect, work hard (it can be done without the use of steroids). [/quote]

It’s true that it can be done without steroids but when your life is on the line (they get paid to WIN fights ) then you will see things differently. And when you’re getting the huge loads of cash they get, you start to see your job differently.

Now i would never use steroids but i don’t see why they should be illegal.

Look at Michael Phelps. That ugly fucker set a few WR and got +7 gold medals. You know what he had in his possession though?
He had that LZR suit thing. Why doesn’t he wear the same stuff they did back in the 70s. How is he not cheating and MMA fighters who use steroids are?
Sports should be self regulated. I do not expect a law maker or a soccer mom to understand anything involving training, steroids, recovery, etc…so why THEY should be allowed to dictate what is fair game or not is retarded at best.
So, while you can train hard without steroids, it is fact that you can train HARDER with them and i would never hold that against someone who decides to use them.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
joshjuk wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

No shit, trust me, you can work hard without steroids. I don’t know what your obsession with pokemon is, but whatever. You seem to be afraid to address the actual point of what I said, it is CHEATING! your reading comprehension is awful. Again, nothing wrong with steroids, unless the sport you play says they are against the rules. Have some self respect, work hard (it can be done without the use of steroids).

It’s true that it can be done without steroids but when your life is on the line (they get paid to WIN fights ) then you will see things differently. And when you’re getting the huge loads of cash they get, you start to see your job differently.

Now i would never use steroids but i don’t see why they should be illegal.

Look at Michael Phelps. That ugly fucker set a few WR and got +7 gold medals. You know what he had in his possession though?
He had that LZR suit thing. Why doesn’t he wear the same stuff they did back in the 70s. How is he not cheating and MMA fighters who use steroids are?
Sports should be self regulated. I do not expect a law maker or a soccer mom to understand anything involving training, steroids, recovery, etc…so why THEY should be allowed to dictate what is fair game or not is retarded at best.
So, while you can train hard without steroids, it is fact that you can train HARDER with them and i would never hold that against someone who decides to use them.[/quote]

Good point, really agree,

I think some people feel you are using steroids to have an advantage on fight day, but that would most ensuredly mean you piss hot.

Generally you use any enhancing agent during the most intense parts of your training so that you have the ability to get out of bed the next day and walk, eat, pretty much do anything.

I agree with both of your posts, but what about the fact that it goes against UFC rules. I don’t care if a fighter uses steroids to recover faster. I wouldn’t use steroids either, but the fact is a lot of fighters do, regardless of the rules. I consider that CHEATING. Phelps didn’t break any rules using his special suit, so I don’t think that applies.

[quote]HARA wrote:
I’m going to shift this a bit. From a marketing perspective, Dana White woyuld do himself and the UFC a favor by dumping Leben.

His “bad boy” “slow minded” bit was entertaining on TUF but adding roids to the mix runs dangerously against the equities the UFC has been working so hard to build. This seems like a very minor thing to those of us around bodybuilding and powerlifting but to an operation like the UFC it can spark witch hunts (like MLB) that accomplish nothing but discredit the UFC and the Nevada athletic org. That’s when “mainstream sponsors” with deep pockets run for cover.

Dana really stepped up and stood by Rampage and treated him like family because he had earned that equity…Leben is just not a good investment. My 2 cents.[/quote]

I think that could very easily turn against the UFC. How many people know that Leben got popped? Not the casual fan who just tunes in when it’s free on spike, or buys the PPV if it’s a big one (like this weekend!) or if he’s at home with nothing better to do on a saturday.

As long as you ACT like youre doing something about it and trot out a sacrificial lamb every once in a while you’re fine. The NFL proves thsi. But when you start getting into grey areas - specifically why leben would be dropped but not sherk - then you become the bad guy

“specifically why leben would be dropped but not sherk - then you become the bad guy”

I don’t think anyone looks at it that closely. I agree with your other observations. Got to admire the UFC’s domination of this whole sport and fighters.