Learning to Type

So I really want to learn to touch type. Right now I can type fairly quickly but I do so mainly using 5 fingers. I want to learn to touch type and do so as fast as I can read.

I’m currently using this - Lesson 1: Home Row, Left Hand - Peter's Online Typing Course

questions-

1- For the ultra fast typists out there; how did you learn? How long did it take?

2- I spend a lot of time of the computer typing; as i’m learning should I try and always use proper technique? I find it SO difficult as using proper technique i’m about 15% as fast as using improper technique.

Thanks.

I still hunt for keys lol

I should start too

You might need a montage of you are going to make it to the big type off in March.

Bowen is going to be there and this time he’s promising a bloodbath.

Trivia:
The longest word you can type with the top line of letters on a keyboard is oddly enough typewriter

The longest one on the second line is gasfalkhaddafads

The longest on the third line is bmnxczv which is the Roman numeral for the year I was born.

Oh, the shortest word would come from the second line, a.

[quote]Nards wrote:
Oh, the shortest word would come from the second line, a.[/quote]
Or the first line- I.

Why the fuck are you not playing typing video games?

I like most people in my generation got fast using aol instant messenger. Id go with the video games.

Download Mavis beacon.Its for kids but its good for teaching your the hand placement on how to touch type.

I can go 70wpm which means I’m plenty fast enough to be a typist for a living,however I doubt anyone would hire me as I don’t really fit the image of a stereotypical typist.

I’d agree with law8,I used Maevis Beacon but I had a good teacher who taught me in school when I was 13,and just progressed from there.It’s not that hard at all,you could be typing very quickly within 8 months if you put a bit of effort into it.

My english typing speed is oddly enough faster with the english language… I type at 70-90 words per minute…
However I use very few fingers (The left middle, left index, right index and thump for space)
I tried and failed miserably to use more fingers…

If you can actually type at 90 wpm using 3 fingers only,that’s ridiculous.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
You might need a montage of you are going to make it to the big type off in March.

Bowen is going to be there and this time he’s promising a bloodbath.

[/quote]

What a fucking weird bastard.I’d much rather be the second fastest ‘typest in the land’ and look and sound somewhat normal than be that fucker.

I can type 90 words a minute with 2 fingers: i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i.

I learned in junior high keyboarding class

I got fast during a summer job that was ninetyy percent typing

Always use proper technique! Post the keyboard map aboce your screen and look at it not the keyboard.

Play lots and lots and lots of computer games.

Worked for me anyway…

Stupidest little program I had for an ancient Mac, it was like some old 80’s video game that dropped words instead of bombs and you had to type them out before they hit you. It worked damn well for me. Anyone else remember that?
Proper technique is a must. For the guy typing 70wpm with 3 fingers, I bet if you focused on learning how to keyboard correctly, you could add a lot onto your speed.

[quote]Eli B wrote:
Why the fuck are you not playing typing video games?

I like most people in my generation got fast using aol instant messenger. Id go with the video games.[/quote]

Speaking of typing games: Select a free typing game to play online: | FreeTypingGame.Net

I learned in junior high when I got stuck in computers class and we had designated time every class for typing and I was enough of a dork to try haha. Then writing reports and stories and stuff for school, and then messenger and whatnot . . .

When you sit to type, align your belly button at the same point every time (I suggest ‘b’). It’ll help kinesthetic awareness. In other words, it’ll help you type without looking because you’re facing the keyboard at the same point every time. Also, google words so difficult and lengthy that you wouldnt normally use them. Like ‘capricious’.

Try to type them by looking at the screen, and not the keyboard. Go for precision, not speed. If you make a mistake, tap delete and make the corrections without looking at the keyboard. If you get it wrong, repeat until you get it right. Easy way of memorizing the keypad without sitting and memorizing it through the medium of stare.

Brushing up on spelling and punctuation is also good for a speed typer. Shortcuts can be so easily seen as typos…