Learning to Squat

I’ve lifted for a number of years, but due to some previous back issues which have cleared up and the advice on this site I’ve decided to start squatting. I’ve seen some writings about box squatting and using a Smith machine. Would a combination of these 2 be good as a progression to barbell squats? Anyone have a favorite squat instruction article on this site? There are no trainers where I lift that I would trust to work on this with me.

[quote]john2009 wrote:
I’ve lifted for a number of years, but due to some previous back issues which have cleared up and the advice on this site I’ve decided to start squatting. I’ve seen some writings about box squatting and using a Smith machine. Would a combination of these 2 be good as a progression to barbell squats? Anyone have a favorite squat instruction article on this site? There are no trainers where I lift that I would trust to work on this with me. [/quote]

Start with bodyweight squats, progress to something like goblet squats then move to the barbell. There are numerous articles on this site that offer more details.

Overhead Squats are my favorite.

I used to squat knees past the toes and figured I just had incorrect limb length or something. Until OH Squats.

With weight over your head you have no choice but to squat down correctly

[quote]john2009 wrote:
I’ve lifted for a number of years, but due to some previous back issues which have cleared up and the advice on this site I’ve decided to start squatting. I’ve seen some writings about box squatting and using a Smith machine. Would a combination of these 2 be good as a progression to barbell squats? Anyone have a favorite squat instruction article on this site? There are no trainers where I lift that I would trust to work on this with me. [/quote]

I personally would not recommend smith machine squats. You are much better off starting with body weight and goblet squats and progressing to weighted squats and even BW single leg squats. Box squats and front/back/over head BB squats are all great variations to add to your program once you are familiar with the movements and have the proper technique down.

Do a search for other threads that have been started on squatting. There are tons of them, along with articles, on this site.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1571799&pageNo=0#1571908
Here is one that I have already posted on in the past. Check out the link to the video. It is a great source.

-LH

Thanks for the ideas. i even learned a new word today, goblet squats. I was able to find a picture on the web and it looks like a front squat (which I would think forces you more to the proper form) with a less challenging way to hold the weight instead of using a barbell.

If I were you, I would do parallel squats, they are easy to do, just keep good form, look at the ceiling while doing them and keep your hips back

i agree with the other response i am also against smith machine squats as they limit your range of motion. i also agree you are better off doing bodyweight squats then advancing to weights. my main problem was sitting back and my form while squatting i would quite often bend my knees forward instead of sitting back and lose my balance frequently.

i did box squats for a few months and went back to full squats and have noticed a major improvement in my form. just something to think about when working on form you may want to work with light box squats to begin just to get the feel for how you should be squatting.