Learning to Squat Jerk

does anybody know of anything decent i could read on this?

i might just have to do it, and can’t hurt to learn, i suppose.

my shoulders aren’t quite flexible enough for me to overhead squat with my hands in a clean grip width. if i widen my grip in the rack then the weight starts swaying from side to side. i think my delts aren’t as prominent with a wider grip so there isn’t anyplace for the bar to rest properly. i’m guessing it is about improving shoulder flexibility and back flexibility for a clean grip width?

If you can’t do a clean-grip snatch, you need to work solely on shoulder flexibility. Also, your lower back will have to have significantly more strength to handle the same amount you normally split/push jerk.

Put 5 kg on either side of the bar. Work on close-grip overhead squats, holding in the furthest position down you can get. After about a month of constant stretch work you should get it if you’re decently flexible.

I only work push/power jerks now that I squat jerk. Push jerking is a great way to practice the balance aspect of the squat jerk. They are both the same exact movements. The only difference is you can, once strength is heavily built, drop into a squat to catch the weight and give yourself a “second chance.”

Try your best not to rock back on your heels when you’re in the hole. It breaks your lumbar position, leading to a higher chance of injury and much higher chance of getting a red light.

If your glutes, upper thighs, lower back, shoulders, or triceps are lacking any it will be very apparent.

thanks. will keeping working on shoulder flexibility. can work my grip in gradually on dislocates until i’m pretty close to a clean grip. think i’ve learned what is meant by opening the shoulder girdle. can overhead squat a broomstick / the bar with a clean grip after about 30 minutes of shoulder mobility work - but the movement is a slow stretch rather than something i’m able to speed up at present. guess i’ll keep at it and eventually the warm up will be faster. just wanted to check that that was the right way of going about it (working on shoulder mobility rather than working on holding the bar in the rack with a wider grip).

had also been wondering about whether practicing push-jerks was a good strategy and then working on getting lower under them gradually. sounds like i’m on the right track. thanks :slight_smile:

It doesn’t have to be Clean grip, it has to as wide as you can go Jerk grip wise.

“i might just have to do it, and can’t hurt to learn, i suppose.”

It hurts to learn it because your not getting stronger/ more powerful in the split Jerk. There is a reason that less then 5% of people squat jerk in competitions.

That month could be better spent working your split Jerk to add 2-5kg+.

It looks cool no doubt but your time is better spent split jerking imo then learning the flexibility to squat Jerk.

Koing

Yeah, I hear you. Trouble is that I can’t train the split jerk. I have some clawing in my toes that mean I can’t comfortably balance my back foot in the jerk without my toes painfully jamming into the bottom of my shoe. I have tried to train it anyway and am very reluctant to stomp quickly because it hurts so much and after even a low amount of reps I have difficulty walking.

I am working on my feet / toes / ankles as best I can… But the rehab is taking a long time and I need to face up to the fact that I might never be able to split jerk comfortably.

I’d been training push-presses - but they aren’t legal for comp. So… Push-jerk / Squat-jerk it is going to have to be for the present.

:frowning:

At least it looks cool??

[quote]alexus wrote:
Yeah, I hear you. Trouble is that I can’t train the split jerk. I have some clawing in my toes that mean I can’t comfortably balance my back foot in the jerk without my toes painfully jamming into the bottom of my shoe. I have tried to train it anyway and am very reluctant to stomp quickly because it hurts so much and after even a low amount of reps I have difficulty walking.

I am working on my feet / toes / ankles as best I can… But the rehab is taking a long time and I need to face up to the fact that I might never be able to split jerk comfortably.

I’d been training push-presses - but they aren’t legal for comp. So… Push-jerk / Squat-jerk it is going to have to be for the present.

:frowning:

At least it looks cool??[/quote]

Oh I see.

I’d work Power Jerks and do some Squat Jerks in your case then. But heavy Power Jerks are really hard to do and one of the main reasons why you don’t see many people do it. It’s just a lot harder to put up big weights in the Power Jerk/ Squat Jerk then the Split Jerk. But for if it’s the only way to do it, you’ll have to make it work for you :slight_smile:

Yes it looks absolutely bad ass :smiley:

Koing