[quote]atmosphere wrote:
e------------------------------------------------------------------
h------------------------------------------------------------------
g--------------------------3–3-----------------------------6–6-
D–3–3–3---------------3–3----6–6–6----------------6–6-
A–3–3–3–x–x–x–x–1–1----6–6–6–x–x–x–x–4–4-
E–1–1–1–x–x–x–x-----------4–4–4–x–x–x–x--------

Everybody’s first song. ;)[/quote]

But actually my first song was Ode to Joy. Basicaly the same notes as Mary Had A Little Lamb but it makes you sound more talented :slight_smile: YAY!

[quote]danmaftei wrote:
This is going to sound stuck-up and snobby. If you can’t deal with it, go fuck yourself.

1 - If you’re serious about it, you’ll shop around for a teacher with good credentials, and one that you have chemistry with. [/quote]

Though having a teacher doesn’t mean anything unless you practice. Practice is the most important thing to getting good at guitar. Theory and teachers are great but spend time and effort on these when you know that you will get something out of it.

I completely agree! Acoustic is the best learners tool. It can really improve your playing, composition, and skills. Its also very versitile and can be taken anywhere, unlike your amp, leads, effects…

Practice Practice Practice.

DVD/Book combos have helped me a great deal. I floundered around for a year before I discovered this. It can be better than taking lessons because you are able to relax and that is extremely important. Don’t laugh, but I’m using one right now from that infomercial dude Esteban, and it is incredible.

I have played/taught myself since I was abou 6yrs old. From just strumming like a madman, I progressively got better and better using tabs on the net and nothing else. Imo, once you can read tabs whih is easy you will gradually progress.

dezz

I am self taught, I actually moved to guitar b/c I couldn’t bring my electric bass to residence when I came to University. So I went out and bought a crappy guitar half price, I think it was like 500 dollars, I got it for 250, anyways I digress.

B/c I had been taught to play base and was leaning keys, theory, how to read music, i could pick up the guitar and learn pretty fast. I seemed to have some talent in me and my ears are pretty good, tone wise.

My first song was actually Alone again by Dokken, if anyone knows Dokken, I give mad props, George Lynch is an AMAZING guitar player, mostly self taught. I then needed to learn nothing else matters by metallica. After learning a couple of pretty complex songs for a beginner, I could play 3 chord strums in my sleep. in fact, it didn’t really interest me to play unless it was retardly hard. I’m on some John Martin as we speak, and that’s proving to be a challenge for me! I also have much respect for Paco de lucia, well his transcriptions from violin, since he was a violinist, as well as Al Di Meola, I love and can do…sloppily might I add and with a steel string guitar so it’s different.

My advice is you need passion and it really needs to be fun right off the get go. Throw the scale advice down the tube right now, and just start out by learning to read tabs and learning a basic song. Try some Nirvana, or some Greenday or something chord based. Once you get addicted, you’ll want to progress. Just like the gym, come have fun first and get addicted to seeing some changes, then feed that desire. once you can strum 3 chords while taking a shit, start going onto web sites that show you scales, explain some theory to you and take er from there. All it took my brother when he was 12 was for me to teach him how to play one or 2 riffs, a little friendly competition and a shitty Epiphone on sale for like 150 bucks with an amp I left behind. Boom, next thing I know I come home for Christmas and next thing I know he’s got a Yngwie instructional video, and he’s teaching himself how to sweep pick arpeggios. He’s 16 now and he’s unreal good. Unfortunately, he was jus tin a motorcylce accident and broke his fingers and screwed his hand for the next year.

If you want to know the kind of passion you need for this I’ll tell you, don’t get discouraged if you’re not as obsessed. He got the pins taken out of his fingers and he can barely move his hands, what does he do, picks up the guitar and plays till he can’t stand it. Which was about 10 minutes, but still. His biggest fear was that he wouldn’t be able to play his axe. I can fully understand that.

His next step is to take classic training at the Royal Academy of Music and then try try try to get into a guitar school or take music.

I know I’m being long winded but it’s friday and I’m obsessed with my guitar and love to talk about it. Here’s a synopsis:

1. Make it fun in order to get addicted to it and have that feeling when you pick it up.

2. Learn to read tab from a website. use google and type in Guitar Tabs, you’ll see many sights.

3. Learn a song you love that sounds pretty easy.

4. Get a chord chart, so you can see where to play different chords and understand what that means i.e Am7.

5. Start learning theory, scales, modes, keys, progressions, tonalities, voicings, etc (the last two aren’t really theory, but I group them in there)

6. Practice, Practice, Practice and don’t bitch about the calluses and not being able to seduce a women b/c you can light the tips of your fingers without feeling pain. My hands are a callus mess, between the deads I hammered last night and the guitar I played afterwards, I’m a ladies dream!

Also, ask questions whenever you’d like. There are some knowledgeable people on here. I’m in envy of Swivel b/c he’s classically trained and I find that style amazing and beautiful, but we’d love to help.

PM me and I’ll whip up a list of sites with weekly guitar lessons, and all that jazz.

Start picking,

T

I taught myself but started with the basics Black Sabbath,AC/DC,etc…the power chord kings. I recommend a series of videos by Curt Mitchell. He breaks down the riffs slow so you can follow along.

Good Luck

[quote]atmosphere wrote:

My first song was Iron Man

http://www.guitarandbass.com.au/index.asp?Page=guitarDemo.html&Title=Guitar%20Demo

$20 for a lifetime membership and very slick site for learning guitar

a few thoughts on practice…

ALWAYS PRACTICE W/ A METRONOME
playing an instrument is an athletic event. when you are challenged by learning new moves your brain will trick you into percieveing they are coordinated and in time- that you are pulling it off when you in fact aren’t. don’t even bother getting an instrument without a getting a metronome.

PRACTICE PERFECT EVERY TIME:
go as slowly as you need to pull off the move perfectly in time every time. when you practice a chord change get it perfect every time. every time. every time. if you can’t do the move slow it down even more. go RIDICULOUSLY SLOW if you have to . stay in time. use the metro. when you finally get it right five times in a row take a break to let your brain reset…

<<<WARNING>>>
practicing is programing your brain, your subconscious, to control the move at speeds your conscious mind can’t keep up with. practice with mistakes and you’re still programming your brain -to learn that mistake- which will then need to be unlearned before you’ll ever get it right.

MAKE A DEFINITE DISTINCTION BETWEEN PRACTICE AND PLAYING and
get the discipline to use your metro every time you practice and you’ll learn the difference between being one of those guys who can only noodle around with the opening riffs to a thousand songs and a guy who can lay down a serious groove that paople can grab on to.

Alright, absolute noob question here. How do you play the “x”'s on the string? Also, where should yyour fingers be? For the first notes, (331) should I use one finger to play both of the 3’s? or 2? Also, how far should i be able to reach my fingers? I have really small hands, and I can barly stretch 3 ir 4 frets.

Will this be something that will just improve with playing time?

[quote]atmosphere wrote:

1.) The x’s mean palm mute, which is basically just covering the strings with the palm of your hand, efectively mutting the notes so only a dull sound is heard.

2.) with power chords the easiest way to play them is to ujse the first finger (index) to play the low note (in this case the one), and the third and fourth finger (ring & pinkie) to play the two high notes (fifth and octave) in that order.

3.) I had small hands too when I started out. Even if they don’t get bigger, don’t let that be an excuse. Your fingers will adapt, and pretty soon you’ll be able to reach 5 frets.