Learning the Way

[quote]ctschneider wrote:
Your exercise selection looks well pretty balanced, except I might suggest you discard the leg extension and leg curls in favor of some squats or step-ups (as dianab mentioned).

Also, if you’re having alot of trouble adhering to your diet. You could always try keeping a food log for a few weeks. Just write down everything you consume (including any beverages) and the corresponding number of Calories for each meal. It’s kind of a pain in the rear, but nothing keeps you from reaching for the cookies like having to add an additional 300+ Calories to your food log.[/quote]

I do have a food log. That is one thing as a fat woman I know about. It has really only been since Friday, but I have been pretty good with logging. So far I am still riding my wave of enthusiasm and luckily at this time of year so many people at work are talking about the same things!

another vote for step-ups so I will definitely start those. I guess this means taking the stairs at work!

[quote]sbmart2 wrote:
Have you looked into the Rachel Cosgrove fat loss program on the fitness athlete website yet?[/quote]

I haven’t looked at her program. I was sent a great link by MarvelGirl about an article on Food Addiction.

The women over there, they are so perfect. So thin and model pretty. I just want to get strong, lose weight, and enjoy activities.

[quote]Belle Curvy wrote:

I am still sore from Friday! My sides, my legs, and that muscle under your arm pit to your breast. Very sore.

I went to the gym tonight and did pretty much the same thing. I tried a new leg machine, it was the standing calf machine. I was surprised to see that I could do 75lbs. I would do it until my calves burned. I felt like the she-Hulk so this might be my favorite thing.

I did do bodyweight squats. I am having a hard time getting low and maintaining balance. I was watching in the mirror and I get to just above the knee and it seems to be a natural stopping point for me. I try to force myself down lower and I lose my balance.

Is this just because I am fat or is it my lack of muscles?

I can do step-ups! Those do not look complicated.

The goblet squat looks interesting. I will give that a try next time.

I do lunges and you are right that I wiggle a bit side to side. Is it good just to do them anyways?

Isabelle[/quote]

Start with the quarter squats, it’s OK if you can’t get really low to start with. Check that you take a wider stance and really sit back, not down. Lead with your behind, give a bit of an arch to your back and keep your head up and chest out, don’t slouch the shoulders.
Wiggling a bit when doing lunges is normal, you may want to hold onto a railing or something just to get your balance down. Be careful of the knees, if you feel too much pressure, get a form check from the floor trainer, and take a longer step into the lunge.

Most people can lift a lot with the calf machine, just don’t overdo it or you will have a hard time walking the next day.
Epsom salt baths do help with the soreness, it will pass but it takes some time.

Sounds like you are doing great, the next 6 weeks or so are really important. If you stay consistent with the food and gym time, by Valentines day it will be a habit you won’t want to live without. Stick with it!

[quote]dianab wrote:
Start with the quarter squats, it’s OK if you can’t get really low to start with. Check that you take a wider stance and really sit back, not down. Lead with your behind, give a bit of an arch to your back and keep your head up and chest out, don’t slouch the shoulders.
Wiggling a bit when doing lunges is normal, you may want to hold onto a railing or something just to get your balance down. Be careful of the knees, if you feel too much pressure, get a form check from the floor trainer, and take a longer step into the lunge.

Most people can lift a lot with the calf machine, just don’t overdo it or you will have a hard time walking the next day.
Epsom salt baths do help with the soreness, it will pass but it takes some time.

Sounds like you are doing great, the next 6 weeks or so are really important. If you stay consistent with the food and gym time, by Valentines day it will be a habit you won’t want to live without. Stick with it![/quote]

I am having a hard time with sitting back and not going down with forward knees. It feels awkward but I have been practicing with a chair behind me. Should my head be back or just forward?

I can do 6 weeks, I can do 6 weeks.

Don’t tilt your head back, but look upwards a bit (eyes only). Widen your stance and point your toes to a 10 and 2 o’clock position and shift your weight back to your heels. Start the movement with your rear end. Practicing with a chair or bench at the gym is fine, or try it holding onto something with one hand. Also be aware that many people walk around on their toes without really thinking about it. You need to shift your weight on your heels for many leg exercises. Consciously walking heel-toe (pushing each step out from the heel) may help as well. You need to become aware of this before you start doing too many lunges (a lunge is just an exaggerated step). Once you are aware of this, squatting will come more naturally.

[quote]dianab wrote:
Don’t tilt your head back, but look upwards a bit (eyes only). Widen your stance and point your toes to a 10 and 2 o’clock position and shift your weight back to your heels. Start the movement with your rear end. Practicing with a chair or bench at the gym is fine, or try it holding onto something with one hand. Also be aware that many people walk around on their toes without really thinking about it. You need to shift your weight on your heels for many leg exercises. Consciously walking heel-toe (pushing each step out from the heel) may help as well. You need to become aware of this before you start doing too many lunges (a lunge is just an exaggerated step). Once you are aware of this, squatting will come more naturally.[/quote]

I am heading to the gym now. I am still sore but I am a bit proud of feeling sore.

I tried here at home putting my weight on my heels. It feels strange but I will work on that. I wear heels at work all day long so I don’t know if that has anything to do with that.

My plan for tonight:
Step Ups

Bodyweight Squats

Cable Rows

Chest Press

ball crunches

finish on the treadmill or bike

I don’t know what weights I will use. I will start with what I had done and see if I can do more.

I plan on 3x8 except for the crunches

Looks good! Try to aim for a bit higher reps, 12-15 is a good place to start. When that gets easy and you can complete the all your sets, add weight.
Wearing high heels does make shifting your weight back more difficult. They also tend to shorten your achilles heel. Your butt muscles probably need some activation work as well. Look on You Tube for Glute Bridges, it is an easy exercise and will help you become aware of using your backside more in the squats.

Hello! Happy New Year.

I haven’t dropped off the face of the earth, I got a virus on my computer and it took forever to get it fixed. Christmas business and all that. What worries me was that I really felt the loss of my computer! I think I may have an addictive personality, the TV, the computer, coffee, and food! I have to direct that to something better.

I have been going to the gym and it has really been crowded. I am still uncertain what to do so I have a tendency not to push forward on to the equipment. I know this is my issue, but it is an issue. I have tried all different hours but it is so crowded.

I know people on here don’t like fat people, but it really hurt when a young kid made a face and looked at his friends when I was at the gym. They laughed and all looked. No I am not being paranoid. I was sweaty and red faced and trying, but it hurt. Why not save that disgust for someone who isn’t trying?

I have a hard time doing the 3x12/15 with my upper body and still keep the the weights above 5lbs!

Speaking of 5lbs!!! Guess who lost 5lbs in two weeks? That is right, me. I lost 5lbs.

I have been good for the majority of the time, but I did have some slips. I had some microwave popcorn at a friends house watching a movie, and I had Mexican food when I went for a holiday celebration at Casa de Pico. It was good, very good.

I have been getting headaches. I am still sore. I sweat so much!

I want to stay motivated but this is really a lot of work. A lot of work. I argue in my head all the time about “who cares?”. I guess it matters if I don’t want to be alone and unhealthy. I am trying to keep that in my head and also the positive of “I want to share a healthy and active life with someone.” It would be too easy for me to get too depressed about the HUGE task I have in front of me.

For now I pretty much do the same things. I also do crunches at night before bed. I have been trying to do a push up and I barely move my arms but I figure if I keep trying it has to do something, right?

my main stays are:
leg press 3x12/15
bodyweight squats till it burns 3x (at least 15)
starting to do lunges (hard to get low!)
cable row 3x15
chest press machine 3x15
lat pull downs (just learned this)
cable pull up (just learned this)
ball crunches

I want to do that bench thing that you lay on your thighs and bend down and come up using your stomach and back. That looks kinda fun but it is always busy.

Thanks again for all the help.

Never mind the New Year’s crowds, they’ll thin out soon enough. Our gym is packed to the roof as well.
I’m sorry that you had a hurtful incident with those kids. I have women in your condition come in every day, and see those sorts of things this time of year. Most regular gym members do not pull those kind of stunts and are friendly and supportive. You’ll outlast the kids anyways. Just hang in there, it is a big task but you are really doing the right thing. Channel the negativity into resolve to keep going, anger can be a useful tool sometimes.

5lbs is awesome! Keep trying with the lunges, but do your step-ups as well. You are making progress!
Be sure you are getting in your cardio too. Keep us posted.

[quote]dianab wrote:
Never mind the New Year’s crowds, they’ll thin out soon enough. Our gym is packed to the roof as well.
I’m sorry that you had a hurtful incident with those kids. I have women in your condition come in every day, and see those sorts of things this time of year. Most regular gym members do not pull those kind of stunts and are friendly and supportive. You’ll outlast the kids anyways. Just hang in there, it is a big task but you are really doing the right thing. Channel the negativity into resolve to keep going, anger can be a useful tool sometimes.

5lbs is awesome! Keep trying with the lunges, but do your step-ups as well. You are making progress!
Be sure you are getting in your cardio too. Keep us posted.[/quote]

x2 on all counts

I can tell the newbies to the gym as they are the ones that don’t really seem to come in with a plan. Regardless, they don’t bother me unless they’re taking up tons of machines while not doing anything.

At my gym, the regular gym members (at least the younger 20-30 y.o crowd) could be intimidating to new members since we all chat, laugh, speak openly about someone having put on a few pounds (even if you still think they look great), looking bigger/smaller, etc. Ignore us and ignore the punk teenagers even more. They’re everywhere and think they’re really hot shit (which they’re really not at all).

Go in with a plan, work hard for the time you are there and get out. Once you start going regularly and pushing yourself harder each time, people will notice.

I saw what someone posted in The Biggest Loser thread about taking pictures and sometimes ignoring the scale. I agree. I didn’t notice how often you are weighing yourself, but pick a morning when you have time (Sat/Sun), wake up, go to the bathroom and weigh yourself just the one time that week. Also if you’re not doing so, use a fabric tape measure and measure in several spots at the same time. That way if the scale only budges 1lb, you may have still lost several inches. Neck, bust, just below the bust, belly button, largest part of hips/butt, thigh are all good places.

When I first started my journey I was overweight and uncomfortable in my own skin. If I had just watched the scale I likely would have given up long ago. Instead, for me, the inches were much more indicative of what was going on and how I was feeling about my body.

This ended up being a much longer post than I intended, but keep working hard. You have the support of everyone on here.

[quote]Court wrote:
dianab wrote:

Be sure you are getting in your cardio too. Keep us posted.

x2 on all counts

I can tell the newbies to the gym as they are the ones that don’t really seem to come in with a plan. Regardless, they don’t bother me unless they’re taking up tons of machines while not doing anything.

At my gym, the regular gym members (at least the younger 20-30 y.o crowd) could be intimidating to new members since we all chat, laugh, speak openly about someone having put on a few pounds (even if you still think they look great), looking bigger/smaller, etc. Ignore us and ignore the punk teenagers even more. They’re everywhere and think they’re really hot shit (which they’re really not at all).

Go in with a plan, work hard for the time you are there and get out. Once you start going regularly and pushing yourself harder each time, people will notice.

I saw what someone posted in The Biggest Loser thread about taking pictures and sometimes ignoring the scale. I agree. I didn’t notice how often you are weighing yourself, but pick a morning when you have time (Sat/Sun), wake up, go to the bathroom and weigh yourself just the one time that week. Also if you’re not doing so, use a fabric tape measure and measure in several spots at the same time. That way if the scale only budges 1lb, you may have still lost several inches. Neck, bust, just below the bust, belly button, largest part of hips/butt, thigh are all good places.

When I first started my journey I was overweight and uncomfortable in my own skin. If I had just watched the scale I likely would have given up long ago. Instead, for me, the inches were much more indicative of what was going on and how I was feeling about my body.

This ended up being a much longer post than I intended, but keep working hard. You have the support of everyone on here. [/quote]

People here are supportive of anyone doing the work. It sounds like you have a start. The only way to keep going is just to keep going. Like Court said, go to the gym with a plan and follow it. It took me a while to figure that one out. I joined a gym for the first time 2 1/2 years ago and was like a lost lamb. It took me 9 months to go to the boys side of the gym I was so intimidated. As you get more comfortable and familiar it will seem easier (at least to be there)

If it makes you feel any better, I’m still a spazz. I just don’t care that I am anymore.

I’m a big believer in Karma. Those little piss head boys standing around laughing at people who are working hard to better themselves will get theirs. We really do get out of life what we put into it. Right now you are putting a lot of good into your life so you will reap the rewards. Those guys will also get back what they put in.

Keep working hard and finding ways to stay motivated. Remember that success doesn’t come over night. The harder you have to work for something, the higher you can hold your head up as you progress on your journey to better health.

I went to the gym after work today and it wasn’t as crowded as I thought it would be. I hate to sound wimpy but I had a killer headache, so I just did the treadmill. I walked for 20-minutes at level 12 at a fast pace and I gradually went slower and lower, but I did an hour. I still have the headache but I feel better for going.

I have some questions. I really only feel comfortable doing a few things. Is there any reason I can’t do the same things every time? When they gave me my orientation they showed me things to do for my upper and lower body so those I have been doing.

Someone told me that since I have a problem with squatting with a weight I could try the hack squat machine. What do you think? Is it the same thing?

I keep seeing “crunches don’t work” but what if you are like me and have a belly and NO STOMACH MUSCLES! Don’t I want to do something for my belly?

And can a very fat person really lose the weight and become a fit, and normal size person? I guess I am feeling I am the bottom of a very tall and steep mountain.

You ladies on here are already in shape and already workout on a regular basis. Tell me the truth, have you ever seen anyone ever really make a huge change?

I am not quitting. I did go tonight. I just have a headache and am thinking about this very big challenge. It’s like going to college, but usually you know people who have graduated. I don’t know of anyone who has lost 80lbs like I want to lose.

This isn’t whining or complaining. It is just a question. I just want to know if anyone has seen it happen that wasn’t on tv, wasn’t part of a special program, just someone who gutted it out and got it done.

Thank you Court and Ouroboro. I do feel better when I go in now that I know what I am going to do. I don’t wander around and read the signs on the machines and try and figure them out.

I believe in Karma! And after I reread my post I was shaking my head. I am an adult and I let the fear of looking stupid play with my head.

This work is all about me. I had to tell myself it only got to me because I saw it, but that could be happening all the time and it doesn’t matter. So, my reaction was all me. And teenage boys are evil.

Tomorrow I am doing my meat and potatoes plan of:

Cable Rows

Lat pulldowns

Chest Press

Leg Press

Bodyweight squats

crunches

(additions)

Shoulder press

Step ups

Hack squat

The pull-up assist machine looks fun. Is that a good machine?

We have a column in the local paper here that runs weekly that features people who have lost A LOT of weight, so yes, “normal” people can do it.
Like you said, this is about YOU. Who gives a flying fuck what any else has done or is doing, this is your odyssey. You are so on the right track too. Make it personal Belle, this is your fight.
I like your plan, maybe modify the order of the exercises a bit and do it circuit style:

A1 Chest Press
A2 Cable Rows
A3 Lat Pull down

B1 Squats (try with 5lbs dumb bells, a least for one set)
B2 Step-Ups (try with 5lbs dumb bells, a least for one set)
B3 Leg Press or Hack Squat

Finish with some ab work and a good fast paced cardio session. 30 minutes on an elliptical or arc trainer should do the trick.
Circuit style means do a set of A1, then A2 and A3, then go back to A1, etc. until all sets are complete. Do not rest until you complete 1 circuit i.e A1, A2 and A3. This type of training should help elevate your heart rate and kick your ass a bit LOL.
Google “fat man pull ups” (awful name, I know). I think they are much more effective than the assisted machine.

Basically you set the bar low on the Smith machine, crawl under it on your back, grab the bar and pull yourself up. You may see videos of guys doing these on an incline or with raised feet, that is an advanced version.
Let us know how it goes!

Here is a picture to show you what I am starting with. I like how I crossed my legs as if trying to make myself look smaller! So this was taken the first week of December. No changes to see yet and I haven’t bought a tape measure yet so no measurements. I will pick one up this weekend.

[quote]dianab wrote:
We have a column in the local paper here that runs weekly that features people who have lost A LOT of weight, so yes, “normal” people can do it.
Like you said, this is about YOU.

Who gives a flying fuck what any else has done or is doing, this is your odyssey. You are so on the right track too. Make it personal Belle, this is your fight.
I like your plan, maybe modify the order of the exercises a bit and do it circuit style:

A1 Chest Press
A2 Cable Rows
A3 Lat Pull down

B1 Squats (try with 5lbs dumb bells, a least for one set)
B2 Step-Ups (try with 5lbs dumb bells, a least for one set)
B3 Leg Press or Hack Squat

Finish with some ab work and a good fast paced cardio session. 30 minutes on an elliptical or arc trainer should do the trick.
Circuit style means do a set of A1, then A2 and A3, then go back to A1, etc. until all sets are complete. Do not rest until you complete 1 circuit i.e A1, A2 and A3. This type of training should help elevate your heart rate and kick your ass a bit LOL.

Google “fat man pull ups” (awful name, I know). I think they are much more effective than the assisted machine. Basically you set the bar low on the Smith machine, crawl under it on your back, grab the bar and pull yourself up. You may see videos of guys doing these on an incline or with raised feet, that is an advanced version.
Let us know how it goes![/quote]

Thank you diana! I just needed to hear it.

I like the idea of the circuit. If I get tired to I do less reps and finish the circuit or wait until I catch my breath but do the 12/15 reps?

How do I hold the weights when I squat? do you hold your arms bent or do you hang them at your side?

I have seen the pull ups you described. A girl was doing them with a towel around a bar. I can do those because I had to try it after I saw her do it.

Okay. Tomorrow I will do the circuit!

Thanks diana!

Try to get out all the reps, give it your best shot but if you have to rest, do so and then push onward. It’ll get easier each time you do it. Intensity is your key word here!

Hold the weights at your side, or on your shoulders if that is more comfortable. If you can hold them on your shoulders, here is a challenge: when you come up out of the squat, press the bells overhead. Maybe you can do this only for a few reps, that’s OK, it a challenge kinda like bonus points.
Have fun!

[quote]Belle Curvy wrote:

And can a very fat person really lose the weight and become a fit, and normal size person? I guess I am feeling I am the bottom of a very tall and steep mountain.

[/quote]

Wow…this kind of hit me…I don’t consider myself ‘a very fat,’ person, and I don’t think you should either. Coming from someone who isn’t in the best shape she could be in, I know where you are coming from. I’ve been up the scale and I’ve been that ‘fit,’ person and also somewhere in between, lol…so yes, it IS possible!!

The most important thing I’ve learned(and I’m still working on this) is that you stick to what you are told and work really hard at it. I spent too much time second guessing every program and comparing myself to others that were getting results. You are just starting, so do yourself a favor…try to find something that you are comfortable with and STICK TO IT!! If you are getting results, don’t change it…if you stop getting results, it’s time to tweak something…

There is no magic to losing weight…you gotta eat right and train hard…I’ve been at this fat loss thing for too long, but I’m finally mad enough about it to put the work in…I thought I could get by just lifting heavy stuff and denied that I needed cardio…unfortunately for me, I DO need cardio(ick)

So now it’s time for me to take my own advice :slight_smile: I hope you stick around!! Don’t give up. Anything is possible if you want it bad enough :wink:

It can absolutely be done. My husband’s best friend from high school jokes that she lost “a backstreet boy” after graduation.

She was nearly 300 pounds throughout highschool and she now maintains around 140.

It gets easier the longer you do it, it really does! Hang in there. The concept of not eating candy, for instance, was incomprehensible to me a year ago. Now I can’t even imagine eating a snickers bar, or a bag of twizzlers (which I used to do often). It doesn’t happen overnight, but it does happen.

Don’t pay any mind to stupid kids either, they’re just that, stupid kids. I love seeing heavy people come into the gym, it gives me a warmy, fuzzy feeling to see someone try to improve. I just wish more of them stuck with it. You could be a real inspiration to a lot of people Belle, just don’t give up.