Learning the Piano

[quote]Rational Gaze wrote:
jasmincar wrote:
that might be how Mozart did it, Mozart,Mozart that the only thing I ever hear. How about Varese, Stravinski, Penderecki, Bartok, Faure,…you don’t know those guys? Still you know how music work

there is hard work and there is talent. But If you love what you do it is not just your work it’s your hobby and your relaxation

I named the composer I assumed you were referring to when you talked about envisioning entire pieces of music. I dont refer to anyone, that’s just how it works and If I was thinking about someone it was about Zappa.

I suppose I should’ve named every composer I’ve ever listened to in order to convince you I know something about classical music. No need to name anyone, it doesnt prove anything.

And I believe hard work and talent are not mutually exclusive.

I never said they were exclusive. You need both.

Anyway, in the interests of not derailing this thread completely, I’ll leave it at that.[/quote]

I learned long ago to ignore jasmincar, the only way I see his posts now are when others quote him, and never do I find myself saying, “I’m glad someone quoted what jasmincar said, otherwise I’d have missed out on his sincerely pleasing words.”

That is the best thing – do what YOU find enjoyable and don’t care what others say (irrespective of the instrument). I’ve been playing for ~ 20 years now and was fortunate in that I managed to avoid a lot of ‘elitism’ (where some people only consider certain endeavors ‘serious’) and was able to do the thing I found enjoyable and try stuff I wanted to – playing other people’s compositions, my own, and improvisation as well. It wasn’t until very recently that it was for anything but my own enjoyment (I got ‘drafted’ into a band a while ago, and have played 4 shows so far).

my son has been taking lessons from a qualified instructor for 9 years now . he is about to turn 15 . mostly classical I guess , but his teacher has thrown in a couple Beetles tunes along the way . at this point , the kid can now learn modern pop/rock on his own (big TSO fan) . no comparison between modern and classical . his current piece is J.S. Bach’s Toccata and Fugue …transcribed for piano by Fabrizio Ferrari ( that piece was originally composed for organ) .

been working on it for about 15 or 16 months now .

this is the piece , but that aint him playin’ it (obviously)

about another 6 months he’ll be playin’ it for folks around town . another 6 years to catch up to the dude in the vid .

Well I am a piano player/teacher, I have played for over 23 years, there are a few null and void responses to your question. You can learn when you’re eighty, it’s never to late. Look up Simply Music simplymusic.com(it’s not my company),. The comment above is like saying “don’t go to the gym, we should only watch movies of Arnie and Lou Ferrigno working out.”

I guarantee that if you commit yourself to a regular practice session you will see some great results, sure, as humans we vary in talent and ability, but that is similar to human genetics and training. Does that mean you don’t go to the gym?

Good Luck

[quote]Robbonaldo wrote:
Well I am a piano player/teacher, I have played for over 23 years, there are a few null and void responses to your question. You can learn when you’re eighty, it’s never to late. Look up Simply Music simplymusic.com(it’s not my company),. The comment above is like saying “don’t go to the gym, we should only watch movies of Arnie and Lou Ferrigno working out.”

I guarantee that if you commit yourself to a regular practice session you will see some great results, sure, as humans we vary in talent and ability, but that is similar to human genetics and training. Does that mean you don’t go to the gym?

Good Luck [/quote]
Great link. I think I very well may buy that.

Have you checked out this guy yet?http://www.scotthouston.com/store/home.phpy

UPDATE

Just got myself a kawai cn 22 the day before yesterday, been playing quite alot, going through the alfred system…

I’m having fun, but sightreading is such a mental drag.

[quote]tommytoughnuts wrote:

I started playing the piano a couple months ago. I’ve been using Youtube tutorials to learn songs. Its definitely not as good as a legit teacher or anything, but it gets the job done.

It was pretty tough to progress, but thats just because I’m super ADD. Once I developed a wee bit of insomnia I had time to kill so I cranked up the practice alot. [/quote]

The insomniac pianist, awesome. But your right about youtube getting the job done. I went from zero skill to playing the phantom of the opera ‘The music of the night’ in just over one month. It was the only song I practiced and once I learned the patterns it was pretty good. sort of shameful to say this but if you tape the letters to the keys it makes it a lot quicker.

I used to play the piano. I regret not taking advantage of the opportunity.

The best advice I can give you, which was my downfall, is to learn how to read music. I had a horrible teacher who would tell me how to play the notes by writing a number beside them, 1-5, so I can know which finger to use (thumb=1, pinky=5). I was never able to progress and without those numbers I was like a fish outside of water. I think learning how to read music is the most important thing in terms of your overall progress and success.

Learn the theory. Anyone who tells you that you don’t need to is a hack musician themselves or never learnt an instrument. There are exceptions to the rule, but unless the naysayers are people like Dizzy Gillespie, they can fuck off right now.

And jascmincar, if we’re going to flex our e-peens about music, I’ve been playing since I was seven.

Asus, start with classical no matter what genre you’re interested. The majority of teachers will teach it, and it lays the groundwork for nearly every other genre.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Learn the theory. Anyone who tells you that you don’t need to is a hack musician themselves or never learnt an instrument. There are exceptions to the rule, but unless the naysayers are people like Dizzy Gillespie, they can fuck off right now.

And jascmincar, if we’re going to flex our e-peens about music, I’ve been playing since I was seven.

Asus, start with classical no matter what genre you’re interested. The majority of teachers will teach it, and it lays the groundwork for nearly every other genre.[/quote]

Classic is the genre I prefer anyways.

sightreading isn’t as dificult as I imagined, I can’t play any of the stuff I’ve learned without the sheets atm.

[quote]asusvenus wrote:
Makavali wrote:

Asus, start with classical no matter what genre you’re interested. The majority of teachers will teach it, and it lays the groundwork for nearly every other genre.

Classic is the genre I prefer anyways.

sightreading isn’t as dificult as I imagined, I can’t play any of the stuff I’ve learned without the sheets atm.
[/quote]

Some people might tell you classical is elitist - it’s not. It ranks among the most amazing music available to this day.

I just started on my first “classical” piece today, it’s the very simple Prelude No. 1 in C major by Bach.

I must say the satisfaction from playing this is great, simplicity aside.

[quote]asusvenus wrote:
I just started on my first “classical” piece today, it’s the very simple Prelude No. 1 in C major by Bach.

I must say the satisfaction from playing this is great, simplicity aside.[/quote]

That song is pure greatness. How are you going about learning it?

[quote]tommytoughnuts wrote:
asusvenus wrote:

I must say the satisfaction from playing this is great, simplicity aside.

That song is pure greatness. How are you going about learning it?[/quote]

I agree. I can play the 1st half now, by heart without errors, at normal tempo. Now I just need the 2nd half of the sheets.

Edit:Got the full sheets now.

Well this is me playing the above mentioned… I break under preassure from the cam haha.(Especially at the ending)