T Nation

Learning Over Summer?

Fighting has always interested me. I am by no means a combat athlete; in fact, my reaction to getting punched is to turn my back…(wish I was joking) I want to try something which could help me defend myself if I ever needed to; but I also want to learn because I love watching UFC, shows like Fight Quest, etc.

I play football in the fall, and rugby in the spring. Currently I focus on lifting in the winter and summer, but have been considering using that time to learn some type of fighting style.

My question is, what would you guys suggest I sign up for? I’ve been thinking about Muay Thai, Savate, or just plain old boxing. At 6’1’, 200, and 16 years old, what would be my best bet?

boxing

Do everything you can.

I would recommend the following:

Boxing (head and foot work and focuses on head punching)
wrestling (helps with take down and learning how the body responds to certain positions-center of gravity)
bjj (permits you to lock/break joints and pressure points) and
kyokushin/muay thai (rough martial arts that focus on kicking and punching with some brutality).

Wrestling would have the most positive carry over to your other sports of choice (football and rugby).

But, if you are looking for a striking art either Muay Thai or boxing would be great choices.

Where are you located in Connecticut? I might be able to direct you to some world class instruction depending on where you live and how far you are willing to commute.

Thanks for the advice guys.

And Sento, I live in the Farmington Valley.

[quote]Zelazo wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys.

And Sento, I live in the Farmington Valley.[/quote]

Where in the Farmington valley? And how far would you be willing to commute for training?

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Wrestling would have the most positive carry over to your other sports of choice (football and rugby).
[/quote]

agreed. but that’s the same reason why i think he should check out boxing. let him broaden his horizons, he’s only 16 after all.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

agreed. but that’s the same reason why i think he should check out boxing. let him broaden his horizons, he’s only 16 after all.[/quote]

Not arguing with that.

The advantage to wrestling would be that he could likely get instruction (via the wrestling team at his highschool) free of charge. Whereas instruction in just about every other combative art he’ll likely have to pay for.

If he winds up checking out the place I’m thinking of, he’ll get kickboxing, wrestling, Jiu-jitsu and weapons training all in the same place. So, he’ll definitely broaden his horizons.

Boxing sounds good. You can learn enough in three months to train solo on a heavy bag for practice and cardo during sports. It would also be a good base if you wanted to check out Thai Boxing at some point too.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
H
The advantage to wrestling would be that he could likely get instruction (via the wrestling team at his highschool) free of charge. Whereas instruction in just about every other combative art he’ll likely have to pay for.

If he winds up checking out the place I’m thinking of, he’ll get kickboxing, wrestling, Jiu-jitsu and weapons training all in the same place. So, he’ll definitely broaden his horizons.[/quote]

hopefully the OP’s parents can help him out with paying for the training.

plus, a jab - straight - hook - football tackle would be a sweet way to end a fight

judo

Sentoguy wrote:
H

If he winds up checking out the place I’m thinking of, he’ll get kickboxing, wrestling, Jiu-jitsu and weapons training all in the same place. So, he’ll definitely broaden his horizons.

hopefully the OP’s parents can help him out with paying for the training.

plus, a jab - straight - hook - football tackle would be a sweet way to end a fight
[/quote]

It definitely would!

Anyway, my parents unfortunately won’t be much help but I plan on getting a job after the rugby season ends. I would do wrestling at my school, but at 6 days a week for 3-4 hours a day I wouldn’t have time to keep up with my school work. It was hard enough with Football; I think that one 6-day-a-week sport a year is my limit.

so does that mean you’re going to check out a boxing gym?

so does that mean you’re going to check out a boxing gym?[/quote]

I’m thinking that would be my best bet. At least until college, I’m only going to have short windows to take lessons in. Boxing seems like something I can learn in intervals and get the basics down quickly, as opposed to most martial arts which take years of disciplined training to master.

Ultimately, my goal is to learn how to hold my own in a fight if it ever comes down to that. I’ve avoided them so far because my size intimidates most people my age, but eventually I’m bound to get into an argument with somebody bigger than I am.

sweet dude. when you can throw and take a punch, head on down here and we’ll go make some heads roll.

good luck man.

sweet dude. when you can throw and take a punch, head on down here and we’ll go make some heads roll.

good luck man.[/quote]

Haha no doubt.

Thanks for the advice everyone.