Learning Martial Arts While Bodybuilding

Hmm. OK so maybe I should find out from the instructors ahead of time how much time is spent is rolling/sparring, how much is technique practice and how much is conditioning

Either way, to be on the safe side, as Bodybuilding/Powerlifting are my primary interests, it does sound like it could be good to wait until I’m at a fat loss phase rather than having to try to figure out massive nutrition adjustments needed to still gain while taking the classes

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
This is actually something that pisses me off with the way some martial arts instructors run their classes. Other than a beginners class, a martial arts class should be teaching me techniques and giving me a chance to practice them. Strength gains, flexibility gains, conditioning, that should be in it’s own class or your own responsibility.

I know they do it that way because a lot of people turning up have this as their only excercise however it annoys me.

The flip side of that is if you come train with me and the class starts at 7, my expectation is that you are here, warmed up and ready to go at 7. I will probably start with some specific drills that will ensure you are lose and warmed up with the movement pattern that we will be using in the class but I don’t want to give up 15 mins of a 60 min class to getting you to a working sweat.[/quote]

That was something that used to irritate me in my old school. 20 mins of stretching and calisthenics is a fucking waste. I’m in good shape- I don’t need the extra 100 crunches you make me do and your dive bombers.

I just want to learn the damn techniques.

[quote]TheBlade wrote:
Hmm. OK so maybe I should find out from the instructors ahead of time how much time is spent is rolling/sparring, how much is technique practice and how much is conditioning

Either way, to be on the safe side, as Bodybuilding/Powerlifting are my primary interests, it does sound like it could be good to wait until I’m at a fat loss phase rather than having to try to figure out massive nutrition adjustments needed to still gain while taking the classes[/quote]

No matter which one you do, you’re going to be doing a shitload of physical activity. Unfortunately you picked two of the most demanding martial arts as far as workload.

If you want to take a more traditional art like Okinawan karate, it would be less demanding.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Cockney Blue wrote:
This is actually something that pisses me off with the way some martial arts instructors run their classes. Other than a beginners class, a martial arts class should be teaching me techniques and giving me a chance to practice them. Strength gains, flexibility gains, conditioning, that should be in it’s own class or your own responsibility.

I know they do it that way because a lot of people turning up have this as their only excercise however it annoys me.

The flip side of that is if you come train with me and the class starts at 7, my expectation is that you are here, warmed up and ready to go at 7. I will probably start with some specific drills that will ensure you are lose and warmed up with the movement pattern that we will be using in the class but I don’t want to give up 15 mins of a 60 min class to getting you to a working sweat.

That was something that used to irritate me in my old school. 20 mins of stretching and calisthenics is a fucking waste. I’m in good shape- I don’t need the extra 100 crunches you make me do and your dive bombers.

I just want to learn the damn techniques.[/quote]

I hear you, but like BBB said, conditioning plays a big role in combat. It would be nice if everyone took their conditioning seriously and therefore you didn’t have to spend any class time on it, but that’s not really all that realistic of an expectation.

As a result most classes will start out with some sort of conditioning based warm-up. I personally preferred more “combat specific” warm-ups (like rolling for position, grip strength partner drills, sprints, maybe some light contact sparring, etc…), but you’d be surprised how many people come into MA classes and can’t even do 20 good push-ups, heck lots can’t even do 10.

The issue that I see isn’t with wanting to do MA and bodybuild, that’s certainly possible (though also harder than just doing one or the other). The issue is with doing a very CNS intensive bodybuiding routine (DC) and trying to do MA on top of that. With DC you are pretty much always riding that fine line between over-reaching and progress and adding another physically draining activity like BJJ or MT is likely going to result in much shorter blasts and slower progress as a result.

If you could find a purely technique class, then I don’t think you’d have an issue. But if it’s more sparring, live rolling/drilling, and conditioning work, then I think you might want to rethink it.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
TheBlade wrote:

Either way, to be on the safe side, as Bodybuilding/Powerlifting are my primary interests, it does sound like it could be good to wait until I’m at a fat loss phase rather than having to try to figure out massive nutrition adjustments needed to still gain while taking the classes

No matter which one you do, you’re going to be doing a shitload of physical activity. Unfortunately you picked two of the most demanding martial arts as far as workload.
[/quote]

Gotta say that wrestling is more physically demanding than BJJ IME. But, yeah, they’re both up there.

hi

I do Muay Thai three times a week, each 2 hour session.

I also do a seperate hill sprinting sesssion on Tuesday morning followed by a seperate work-capacity (combines strength and conditioining together) session in the evening when i get back from work.

I also do a GPP session on friday mornings and a core training session in the evening.

Thursday is my strenght training stression where i do a upper/lower body split, using 5x5 principles generally (though i try to mix it up, like i did yesterday, with hypertrophy, strength endurance etc… some vague form of conjugate periodisation).

Satruday is an active rest day where i do some Gynastica Natural or go for a gentle jog etc.

This is ontop of all the heavy conditioining/skills/core training work i have to do in my three times a week 2 hour muay thai classes.

I think the once a week strenght session i do is very useful in building muscle. But it will be SLOW progress. As long as you are wlling to build muscle way slower than you would with a BB programme, then i see no reason why you can’t gradually add muscle mass and achieve your goals in both areas very gradually.

The key i have found i eating - you have to eat A LOT. And i have found that PWO sugar loading (dextrose/maltodextrose) will go a long way in stop you from losing weight during heavy conditioining work. With the right amount of calories and good diet it can be done.

Also, steroids will help, i think. Speak to Brook/J-J on the steroids forums and i think he may help yu in the right direction.

Thanx!

A friend of mine told me most of the class is just learning techniques and he only really gets tired from the last part of the class where you spar, which with the size of the class practically means two 3-min bouts.
Maybe I’ll just go to the first class and see how it goes

wyld
My goals are to build 1) muscle and 2) strength as fast as possible. I just want to learn some basic self-defense, I have no interest in being a good martial artist. And I’m way too young to be on gear (23)

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I hear you, but like BBB said, conditioning plays a big role in combat.[/quote]

And anyone who has actually had a few fights (whether ‘real’ [street] or full contact spars that are not just 1-3mins long) will know this for the absolute truth it is.

Fighting for real is DAMN hard work… for someone who has no idea about this have them punch a bag for 30 seconds!