T Nation

Learning How to Weight Train in Calgary

Hey everyone, I am currently on the rippetoe 5x3 program and I would like to take a class to learn the power clean which is part of the program, and also try to improve my technique in every other lift. I currently can only find two places that teach this and was wondering if anyone has any comments on either.

First one is Mount Royal Recreation's "Fundamentals of functional weight lifting"
"Learn the following nine functional lifts: deadlift, squat, shoulder press, push press, push jerk, overhead squat, thruster, clean and snatch."

and the second is Peak Power's "Introductory Weightlifting Clinics"
"Learn basic techniques involved with the Snatch and clean & Jerk"

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Based just on what I could find online, the Peak Power place looks like the staff is really solid and knowledgeable, but it seems like it'd be better if you were mainly looking to learn about the Olympic lifts.

The Mount Royal place looks like a better all-around curriculum, but I have no idea if the instructors will be dopey, general "personal trainers" or a more legit coach.

Based on what you said you wanted to learn, I'd kind of lean towards Mount Royal. But first consider at least speaking with someone from Peak Power, telling them what you're looking for, and see if they think they can accommodate. If they can, I'd jump at the chance to train there.

There are a lot of videos online that show good form for these lifts, i'd recomend watching those to work on the basics. If you post videos (here or in the powerlifting section) you could get some pointers from that. But a hands on approach (these classes) would be best but cost money.