T Nation

Learning a Second Language

As was said before, get a basic language pack somewhere and exposing yourself to as much “real” spanish as possible, newspaper, the news, etc. The news I find is one of the best places to learn cause as long as you know what the news in English is when you hear it in another language you start to pick up certain words bit by bit and it becomes clearer and clearer.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
tuchavito wrote:
i learned english on the school and practicing a lot with friends

it looks like it worked really well[/quote]

Prepositions are always a hard thing to get down, since they almost never translate directly. For example, the German ‘an’ is used in some, but not all, the same cases as the English ‘on’. So learning to properly use prepositions isn’t as straightforward as memorizing that ‘an’ means ‘on’, instead you have to learn specifically in what instances you use a given preposition. (I know the guy isn’t German, just using examples I know)

[quote]stokedporcupine8 wrote:
I never understand why these stupid threads about learning a language always pop up every few weeks. It’s always the same…

“I want to learn a second language, any advice?”
“Yeah man, total immersion is best, but if you can’t do that you just gotta put a lot of time into it”
“Thanks, that’s what I figured”

I always get the feeling it’s just some sort of self affirmation thing. [/quote]

Well it doesn’t cost a thing to just get other ppl’s opinions so why not do it?

Experience in the Field will get you much further , much quicker than learning from a Book / CD / DVD. Do have any Spanish Speaking Friends ? If you live in an area with a lot of Spanish Speakers you may be able to reciprocate by helping each other to learn a new language.

[quote]stokedporcupine8 wrote:
sundevil65 wrote:
stokedporcupine8 wrote:
I never understand why these stupid threads about learning a language always pop up every few weeks. It’s always the same…

“Yeah man, total immersion is best, but if you can’t do that you just gotta put a lot of time into it”

I always get the feeling it’s just some sort of self affirmation thing.

I don’t understand why people take the time to respond to threads that they feel are stupid. I would prefer it if only people with useful information would respond to my question.

To everyone that has provided or will provide useful information. Thanks ahead of time.

I don’t understand why people take the time to post new threads about topics which have been discussed before. I imagine a search for “second language” would bring up several old threads on this exact topic. Surely there’s lots of good information in there.

Besides, provide “useful information”? All the replies so far have basically been generic responses to a generic question. What’s a good way to learn a second language? Oh, get to know people who speak it and practice with them, got a program like Rosetta stone and do it every day, take a class, bla bla bla… Is any of this really new information you didn’t already know?

I still stand by my statement that threads like this are really just some sort of weird self affirmation thing. Listening to people say they want to learn a second language is like listening to smokers talk about quitting… [/quote]

Ha…keep rollin’…I like where you’re going with this…

[quote]sen say wrote:
stokedporcupine8 wrote:
sundevil65 wrote:
stokedporcupine8 wrote:

I always get the feeling it’s just some sort of self affirmation thing.

I don’t understand why people take the time to respond to threads that they feel are stupid. I would prefer it if only people with useful information would respond to my question.

To everyone that has provided or will provide useful information. Thanks ahead of time.

I don’t understand why people take the time to post new threads about topics which have been discussed before. I imagine a search for “second language” would bring up several old threads on this exact topic. Surely there’s lots of good information in there.

Besides, provide “useful information”? All the replies so far have basically been generic responses to a generic question. What’s a good way to learn a second language? Oh, get to know people who speak it and practice with them, got a program like Rosetta stone and do it every day, take a class, bla bla bla… Is any of this really new information you didn’t already know?

I still stand by my statement that threads like this are really just some sort of weird self affirmation thing. Listening to people say they want to learn a second language is like listening to smokers talk about quitting…

Ha…keep rollin’…I like where you’re going with this…

[/quote]

Per request: