T Nation

Learn Proper Deadlift Form?

I desperately want to start doing deadlifts but I have no idea where/who I could learn proper form. Help?

Search for any ofthe great deadlifting articles here or get Starting Strength by Rippetoe.

This link should help you out a bit.

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

From my own personal experiances give it some time.

Don’t slap on a bunch of weight, you’ll risk messing your back up and out for a few weeks.

There are also a couple other articles on the westside barbell website you might wanna check out that deal with deadlifting.

www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm

[quote]stackablunt wrote:
I desperately want to start doing deadlifts but I have no idea where/who I could learn proper form. Help?[/quote] I believe I’m quoting Chip Conrad via Bodytibe fitness:

1. Get intimate with bar so it?s almost against your shins.

2. Place feet at a comfortable width. This will differ per folk. Most deadheads like a stance a little wider than their shoulders, but some will plant their dogs a little closer, others wider.

3. Sit back (not down) so your weight is on your heels and your spine is arched (yes, arched, not ?flat? and especially not rounded).

4. Grab the bar wide enough so your arms don?t get in the way of the legs. Eventually you?ll want to use a mixed grip (one hand over, one under), or, for some, a hook grip (actually tucking the thumb tight under the other fingers? not for the timid) since the grip can be the first thing to give out.

5. Now the lift begins. The next three steps happen simultaneously. Push those feet into the ground hard while?

6. Bearing down on your abs (DO NOT ?SUCK IN?) to tighten all the trunk muscles to support that arch while?

7. Keeping the shoulders ?proud? and tight, leading the movement with the shoulder blades.

8. Don?t loose that arch and keep the bar really close the body (really close? How about a shin full of scars? If you are intent on keeping the legs pretty, wear athletic pants or bust out the ol? leg warmers from the Fonda years. Do not pull with the arms, by the way, they are just hooks.

9. All this while driving the hips up and forward until you?re standing straight and confident.

There?s another Deadlift option called the Sumo Stance. The techniques are the same as above but the stance is wider (sometimes much wider), the feet are often turned out a bit more, and the grip in on the inside of the legs.

Some body types prefer this method, since, for some, it feels easier on the back and hips. This technique also works well for lifters who have an aversion to barbells, especially heavy ones, since it can also be done with a dumbbell turned on end.

This should help

Precision Pulling by Mike Robertson
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459964

Phill

There’s a link somewhere on this site to a video of Dan John providing instructions on various lifts.

It’s excellent !!! - find the link and watch the whole thing, at least twice! It goes for nearly an hour.

Sorry I don’t know the link.

[quote]duke wrote:
There’s a link somewhere on this site to a video of Dan John providing instructions on various lifts.

It’s excellent !!! - find the link and watch the whole thing, at least twice! It goes for nearly an hour.

Sorry I don’t know the link.[/quote]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&q=dan+John

Wait about two weeks for our “Building the Efficient Athlete” DVD set; it’ll have everything you need.

www.EricCressey.com

[quote]Franck wrote:
duke wrote:

Sorry I don’t know the link.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744&q=dan+John

[/quote]

That’s it Franck, thank you kindly, an excellent video!

Awesome Video!

Thanks a lot for the link man!!!