T Nation

Learn Me Somethin' bout Hypertrophy!

Hey guys,
Pretty fascinated by the human body and it’s workings in so I’m hoping to get a little education on routine structure and optimization for hypertrophy.

I’m currently considering starting an HST program being that mass and mass alone is what I’m aiming for.
Would this or GVT be a better option for someone still in the beginner bracket?

I’ve also read a lot on here that hams are better trained with heavy weight low reps where as quads should be used with higher reps due to their difference in muscle fiber type. I know there are many ways to produce mass but wouldn’t knowing this mean GVT and HST aren’t actually the best way to build for mass since they incorporate the same rep and set approach to different muscle fiber types?

Is there a program out there that actually takes in to account training each muscle group according to fiber type?

The faster you explode the weight up the more fast twitch fibers you recruit. Pick a program and hammer away some new muscle, pretty simple stuff. Make sure your diet is good and train intensely too.

[quote]jhatcher wrote:
Hey guys,
Pretty fascinated by the human body and it’s workings in so I’m hoping to get a little education on routine structure and optimization for hypertrophy.

I’m currently considering starting an HST program being that mass and mass alone is what I’m aiming for.
Would this or GVT be a better option for someone still in the beginner bracket?

I’ve also read a lot on here that hams are better trained with heavy weight low reps where as quads should be used with higher reps due to their difference in muscle fiber type. I know there are many ways to produce mass but wouldn’t knowing this mean GVT and HST aren’t actually the best way to build for mass since they incorporate the same rep and set approach to different muscle fiber types?

Is there a program out there that actually takes in to account training each muscle group according to fiber type? [/quote]

Find out what rep-range you grow best from. Some people have great chest growth from high-rep stuff, others need low-rep work. Some people grow best from high-rep squats, some people grow best from low-rep squats. Find what works for you.

I have a hard time believing that worrying about fiber types is necessary at this point. (assuming you haven’t already been training for a very long time…)

I guess there’s nothing wrong with learning about all the specific theory just for intellectual curiosity, but make sure you aren’t over-complicating it in practice. Since an “optimal” routine varies individual to individual (which has to be learned over time), there’s no way to start with an optimal program, so don’t worry yourself with it. Just start doing something and consistently push yourself and learn and adjust as you go.

Here’s what I learned about hypertrophy of the legs:

When you eat a shit load, and put 300 lbs on your squat, your legs hypertrophy greatly.

Yep. Amazing, huh? :wink: