T Nation

Learn How to Fight in 6 Minutes

Fantastic video…all you need to know to take out any street fight attacker

Dude, I’ll be a badass once I get the Dangity-Dangity-Dang followed by the Bong-Bong-Bong down!

Bas has quite a sense of humor. Though it is not too bright to make such a video even for the purpose amusing people.

every time I see that I wish there was a paypal button

everyone underestimates a kick in the groin

dood

kmc

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
every time I see that I wish there was a paypal button

everyone underestimates a kick in the groin

dood

kmc[/quote]

Not Isshinryu, the groin is our primary target. It’s why we are not too popular in sport martial arts.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
[/quote]

Bas is a funny dude. Pretty good no nonsense self defense advice though (other than the knife stuff).

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:

Bas is a funny dude. Pretty good no nonsense self defense advice though (other than the knife stuff).[/quote]

Bas is a funny guy, but he is giving some bad advice. This video is more useful as a guide of what to avoid instead of what to do.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:

Bas is a funny dude. Pretty good no nonsense self defense advice though (other than the knife stuff).

Bas is a funny guy, but he is giving some bad advice. This video is more useful as a guide of what to avoid instead of what to do.[/quote]

What do you mean by that?

He talks about the groin being a good target (good advice), talks about using a non threatening combative posture to not coerce someone to fight while still being in a position to be able to attack effectively if needed (good advice), he talks about using environmental weapons like furniture,

Surrounding surfaces, etc… (good advice), he talks about using simple yet effective strikes to vulnerable targets (good advice).

Other than the fact that he’s Bas and his sense of humor comes through in how he demonstrates the tactics (and yes some people could potentially misinterpret this as meaning that you should pick fights), it’s pretty good advice from what I can see.

christsake sifu, you saw cut clips of the video you don’t even know whats on it lol

it’s edited to look silly.

i posted this for laughs lay off the heavy stuff guys sheesh… i could post a clip of anderson silva doing a bruce lee impression with a gym towel and you’d critique his nunchaku technique

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Sifu wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:

Bas is a funny guy, but he is giving some bad advice. This video is more useful as a guide of what to avoid instead of what to do.

He talks about the groin being a good target (good advice), talks about using a non threatening combative posture to not coerce someone to fight while still being in a position to be able to attack effectively if needed (good advice), he talks about using environmental weapons like furniture,

Surrounding surfaces, etc… (good advice), he talks about using simple yet effective strikes to vulnerable targets (good advice).

Other than the fact that he’s Bas and his sense of humor comes through in how he demonstrates the tactics (and yes some people could potentially misinterpret this as meaning that you should pick fights), it’s pretty good advice from what I can see.[/quote]

Unless you hang out in dives or biker bars his advice could be serious overkill. Over the years I have known a few hard asses and I have seen how you can get into trouble fighting. I know a few people who have done stuff like this and suffered for it in the courts.

The first time was when I was 17. I had to give my karate teacher’s brother money to help bail him out of jail because he got into a bar fight and nearly killed a guy. He spent a lot of time and money going through the courts trying to stay out of jail. I had another teacher who had to pay over $100,000 to reconstruct a guys face. Both of them were not the instigators of the fight either. And all they used was their bare hands.

While Bas advice would be most appropriate if you were at a biker bar doing a drug deal and things went bad, it’s not the kind of tactics you would necessarily want to use for a simple altercation at TGI Friday or your local sports bar.

However they are the kinds of attacks you should be on guard for so there is some educational benefit to it. ie Don’t let someone get up in your face because they can headbutt, push them back if they try that, keep them at arms length.

Now if you hang out in dives with bikers and thugs, you may benefit from this and get away with some of it. Even then whipping a knife out and slashing the Jugular might be hard to live down anywhere. Really the best self defense is don’t hang out in dives where you are going to have to use weapons to wreck people.

Using weapons can affect your ability to claim self defense. It can turn a legitimate case of self defense into a felony assault, attempted murder or even a murder charge.

Grabbing someones head and driving it into the corner of a table makes the table a weapon in the eyes of the law. Repeatedly doing it compounds the matter. Because you used a weapon, if he suffered brain damage or died from it you would have a lot more trouble defending your actions than if you used your bare hands.

The legal benefit of martial arts is the bare hands are not viewed the same as a weapon, especially if you don’t tell everyone you are trained. That is why it’s not a good idea to wear tee shirts that say I’m a martial artist like Bas is in the video.

It’s also not a good idea to produce a video where you show how to repeatedly smash someones head into the corner of a table or slash someones throat. That video could be used as evidence against Bas if he ever does that to someone.

Also using weapons opens up the possibility of your attacker using their own weapons or taking yours away and using it on you and then claiming self defense because you used a weapon.

There is a lot more to real world fighting than just the fighting.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
christsake sifu, you saw cut clips of the video you don’t even know whats on it lol

it’s edited to look silly.

i posted this for laughs lay off the heavy stuff guys sheesh… i could post a clip of anderson silva doing a bruce lee impression with a gym towel and you’d critique his nunchaku technique[/quote]

Silva is the coolest, baddest brother I’ve seen since Darth Vader, I would not criticize.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Unless you hang out in dives or biker bars his advice could be serious overkill. Over the years I have known a few hard asses and I have seen how you can get into trouble fighting. I know a few people who have done stuff like this and suffered for it in the courts.

The first time was when I was 17. I had to give my karate teacher’s brother money to help bail him out of jail because he got into a bar fight and nearly killed a guy. He spent a lot of time and money going through the courts trying to stay out of jail. I had another teacher who had to pay over $100,000 to reconstruct a guys face. Both of them were not the instigators of the fight either. And all they used was their bare hands.

While Bas advice would be most appropriate if you were at a biker bar doing a drug deal and things went bad, it’s not the kind of tactics you would necessarily want to use for a simple altercation at TGI Friday or your local sports bar.

However they are the kinds of attacks you should be on guard for so there is some educational benefit to it. ie Don’t let someone get up in your face because they can headbutt, push them back if they try that, keep them at arms length.

Now if you hang out in dives with bikers and thugs, you may benefit from this and get away with some of it. Even then whipping a knife out and slashing the Jugular might be hard to live down anywhere. Really the best self defense is don’t hang out in dives where you are going to have to use weapons to wreck people.

Using weapons can affect your ability to claim self defense. It can turn a legitimate case of self defense into a felony assault, attempted murder or even a murder charge.

Grabbing someones head and driving it into the corner of a table makes the table a weapon in the eyes of the law. Repeatedly doing it compounds the matter. Because you used a weapon, if he suffered brain damage or died from it you would have a lot more trouble defending your actions than if you used your bare hands.

The legal benefit of martial arts is the bare hands are not viewed the same as a weapon, especially if you don’t tell everyone you are trained. That is why it’s not a good idea to wear tee shirts that say I’m a martial artist like Bas is in the video.

It’s also not a good idea to produce a video where you show how to repeatedly smash someones head into the corner of a table or slash someones throat. That video could be used as evidence against Bas if he ever does that to someone.

Also using weapons opens up the possibility of your attacker using their own weapons or taking yours away and using it on you and then claiming self defense because you used a weapon.

There is a lot more to real world fighting than just the fighting. [/quote]
-Oh shit…3 guys who want to kick my ass…-

Sifu:though we may have differences in other areas, you have my respect on this issue…You are one of the very few who know & think ahead in the real world of violent combat when it is forced upon you, and know that (as Lee Jun fan would have said) “It is a game, but one you play seriously”, and nothing is more serious than facing jail/prison time merely for defending yourself(!)…There are way too many morons out there seeking the adrenaline rush of the fight while intoxicated (& usually sexually frustrated and/or jealous of their target who is getting feminine attention) that will come to a bad end, & too stupid to realize it.

The blade, bullet, “sucker-punch” & MASSIVE COWARDICE negate years of martial skills in said environment…Survival doesn’t stop after defeating your opponent, it stops when the court lets you go & the lawyers are paidReality Sucks

Thanks. It’s because I have listened to people when they have told me about their experiences and I have known a few people who have gone to jail.

I was also lucky enough to have a teacher who is a lawyer give our class a mini seminar on the legalities of self defense.

And I have also worked in a dive where I have seen some shit you would not get away with in the suburbs.

Being a hard ass can get you into trouble especially if you get known by the police because of it. Once you have a record from then on you will always be held to a higher standard.

That is why it is annoying to read the internet hard asses on this board spout off about shit like how they would smash somebodies head into a locker over a stolen gym bag or some other petty shit. Everyone I know who has actually done something like that and gotten into trouble for it is singing a totally different tune now.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Sifu wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:

Other than the fact that he’s Bas and his sense of humor comes through in how he demonstrates the tactics (and yes some people could potentially misinterpret this as meaning that you should pick fights), it’s pretty good advice from what I can see.

There is a lot more to real world fighting than just the fighting.

[/quote]

This is where the art of legging it comes in…

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Sifu wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:

[/quote]

There are so many variables that need to be taken into consideration when it comes to talking about self defense.

No, elbowing someone in the face, headbutting them and then kicking them in the balls would not be an appropriate course of action if someone got mad that you cut them in line waiting for the bathroom at TGI Friday.

Again, if you read my post I said that one could misinterpret Bas as saying that you should look for fights, or even escalate a fight in situations where it’s not absolutely necessary. He’s not saying that. He’s simply demonstrating some simple no nonsense self defense targets/tactics that could be used if one found themselves in a bad situation.

In most street fights, he who hits first, hits hardest and hits most wins 99.99/100 times. One of the best (and most dangerous if coming from your opponent) ways to win a street fight is via a surprise attack.

But again, you have to take the context into consideration. A woman goes to a frat party and winds up getting cornered by some drunken frat boy who tries to rape her…she should absolutely go for his vulnerable targets and is justified (due to him being considerably bigger than her) to use a fairly high level of force.

If there are multiple opponents involved, one is justified in the use of weapons. If weapons are involved, one is justified in the use of other weapons.

If I have the choice between smashing some guy’s head into a wall (and possibly facing legal ramifications) or having him rape my child or wife/gf, I’ll take the legal consequences.

If one lacks the ability to extract the useful information from the video and see how it could be beneficial in certain situations and can only see what is right in front of them (as in this stuff only being applicable in a bar fight), then yeah, it’s not all that helpful of a video.

But if someone can take the useful information and see how it could apply to other more appropriate or applicable situations, then it is helpful and beneficial.

Definitely. Prevention is the best cure.

One is justified in using a weapon in certain situations though. The laws also change depending on which state one resides in. People would do well to study the laws in their state to know what they can and cannot do legally in terms of self defense.

True, and this has a lot to do with “levels of force” and again is a situation specific thing.

It could, but I think Bas is smart enough to only do such things if the situation calls for it.

That’s certainly a possibility, but unless there are no witnesses and/or you unnecessarily escalate the level of force (like pull a knife when someone says something about “your momma”) and make it seem like you are the aggressor and not someone who is trying to avoid the situation and simply are forced into defending yourself, then I doubt that their claims of self defense would stand in court.

Truth.

Sorry about turning your light hearted thread into such a serious discussion Xen.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Bas has quite a sense of humor. Though it is not too bright to make such a video even for the purpose amusing people. [/quote]

I’ve seen you mock BJJ as sport fighting, now I see you take issue with Bas for teaching ‘dangerous’ techniques…any consistency in your posting or do you just disagree with anything that doesn’t fit your mindset?

Sento your post shows the problem with crash courses in self defense, they really are not adequate. There is so much to learn in regards to situational awareness, technique, timing. You need to condition your mind over an extended period of time.

Another thing I would like to point out is the common misconception about groin strikes. Contrary to common belief it is not necessary to power field kick someones balls up to their tonsils in order to have any affect.

If you take the palm of your hand and simply smack someone in the groin it can be quite a bummer for the recipient. You don’t have to castrate someone to take the wind out of their sails.

In fact it is my belief that there is an upper limit to how hard you want to hit someone in the groin. If you hit him too hard you send him into shock where he can’t feel anything the blow sends a burst of testosterone into the blood stream and probably triggers an adreneline surge.

One of my teachers who could drop a mule with his front kick blasted a guy square in the groin and the guy went postal on him. It took him and his brother to get the guy under control.

I think if he had hit him a little lighter his opponent would have suffered what I call the creeper, where it doesn’t hurt for a moment, then you start getting this awful pain that creeps up through your abdomen and you just went to go sit down, curl up in a ball and try to laugh so you don’t cry.

So groin strikes can be useful for minor fights because it doesn’t take much to slow someone down.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Sifu wrote:
Bas has quite a sense of humor. Though it is not too bright to make such a video even for the purpose amusing people.

I’ve seen you mock BJJ as sport fighting, now I see you take issue with Bas for teaching ‘dangerous’ techniques…any consistency in your posting or do you just disagree with anything that doesn’t fit your mindset?[/quote]

I don’t mock BJJ, when I get more time, money and some injuries are cleared up I’ll probably join a class, even though I already do know a lot of joint locking and grappling. It is a good skillset to have even if there is dirty wrestling that can be used against it.

If you read my post you would see that my point is using weapons to inflict massive injuries on someone in a fight is a good way to get your ass thrown in jail or get sued.

I know quite a few adults who have been sued, had to pay out a lot of money, spent time in jail, now have a CRIMINAL RECORD and as a result now have to bite their tongue, walk the other way or even avoid the kinds of places were they may get into trouble altogether…

It’s not the 1960’s anymore and we are not in high school. In the adult world there are consequences.

Almost all of that video is the kind of stuff you would do only if it was a matter of serious injury, or life or death. It’s not exactly basic self defense even though it is passed off as basic self defense.

That surprise throat slash with a knife technique is a recipe for spending the rest of your life in the department of corrections. Bas goes from talking to throat slashing with a knife in an instant. It is something to be on guard for though.

Just look at how viscious that serrated hook knife he used looks. It’s a fighting knife not a regular knife. To a cop or a judge that would make you appear that to be out looking for trouble, especially when you are wearing a martial arts T shirt like Bas was.

Believe it or not in a self defense situation appearences can be important especially with witnesses. Martial arts T shirt, fighting knives do not look good. Then there is also your opponent. If you repeatedly smash the other guys face into the corner of a table and mutilate him instead of maybe kneeing him unconscious and not leaving much of a mark it isn’t going to look good for you.

Watch Judge Mathis sometime. I remember when he had to decide damages in an assault case he took one look at the victims photos said Oh my God gave the victim all the damages he asked for.

I am going to have to agree with Sifu. Everybody should know the legal implications of their actions. All worst case scenarios.

I think a lot of what people are saying about self defense is intended for a life threatening encounter. Anything less and I think there are legal and moral complications.

If one is such a good fighter and if the situation is not life threatening then I don’t really see justification for such extreme force. We can debate that we don’t know if a situation would escalate into being life threatening, but I think everyone knows what I am talking about.

If one has not had a bad experience with the law regarding this situation maybe you won’t quite understand this. Even if you had no experience with the law there is still the moral argument of whether you could have just walked away or used less force.

I had a friend who got into a fight with three men. He punched one so hard that he not only broke a jaw but unhinged it(off his face, muscle and everything). Really not something I could have imagined at the time.

The man needed reconstructive surgery. And eventually pressed charges. Yes maybe it is ridiculous. But knowing my friend he was not the type to walk away.

In contrast last year somebody attacked Mach Sakurai. I think it was with a wrench. Mach found a way to walk away and avoid beating down the man. Interviewed he said since he is a pro he has an obligation not to fight in the streets. It was on the news.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Sento your post shows the problem with crash courses in self defense, they really are not adequate. There is so much to learn in regards to situational awareness, technique, timing. You need to condition your mind over an extended period of time.
[/quote]

I completely agree.

Though I do remember a story that Tony Blauer told about a woman who went to a (I believe) 2 day seminar with him on cerebral self defense. A few nights later she had a date with a new guy.

Later that night they went back to his apartment (I believe to use his bathroom). While she was at the sink washing her hands, she suddenly got a creepy feeling and looked up into the mirror to see the guy standing there behind her.

Before she knew what happened he had grabbed her thrown her to the ground and begun to try to undress her forcefully. She remembered something that Blauer had harped on about getting people to let their guard down, thought quickly and said, “Hey, do you really want to do this here, or should we go into the bedroom”.

The guy immediately stopped trying to undress her, got off her and allowed her to stand up. As soon as he did she struck him (I believe kicked him in the groin) and then ran out of the apartment before he could recover.

All of this with a mere 2 days of self defense training, ever in her life.

I also remember a story where a person had bought Shihan Walt’s book and read through it, absorbing the knowledge and concepts therein.

A short while later he was at a restaurant with his family when this guy basically decided that he didn’t like him. So, the guy tried to pick a fight with him, right there in the dining room.

This guy remembered what he had read Lysak saying, about using a non threatening posture, trying to talk his way out of the situation, and about environmental awareness. So he put his hands up in a “I don’t want any trouble” position,

Continued to insist that he didn’t want any trouble, and positioned himself to where the aggressor’s back was to a table (which this individual’s back had started out to).

When the guy finally took a swing at him he covered up, and pushed him back over the table, then proceeded to mount him and punch him until the guy gave up.

When the police came everyone who had witnessed the encounter testified for this individual that he tried everything he could to avoid the situation and that the aggressor was the only one at fault. The individual had no charges pressed against them.

So, I completely agree that the physical aspects of self defense must be drilled for years to become proficient in. But the cerebral aspects of self defense can be applied with much less time spent practicing them.