T Nation

Learn From My Mistake w/ Ice

Came home from a good workout couple nights ago.
Triceps were pumped & worked hard that day.
So I took my cold shower, ate and layed on the floor with a package of frozen chicken breasts under each tricep. Only kept the ice on the arm for about 2-30 mins. Took off the packages and found the skin as hard as a rock! Literally! Was a little uneasy and nervous. But within about 15 mins. it warmed up and the throbbing began. Was concerned I had frostbite. But the next day it was just read, and 3 days latter almost completely gone.

Guess I shoulda put a barrier between the skin and chicken.

[quote]MNguns wrote:

Guess I shoulda put a barrier between the skin and chicken.[/quote]

Yeah probably.

That’s one cold ass freezer!

Yeah. You either put ice directly on the skin, or you need to put a wet barrier between the dry cold source and the skin.

– ElbowStrike

Could have been worse…

Why are you icing your triceps after a good workout?

[quote]MNguns wrote:
Came home from a good workout couple nights ago.
Triceps were pumped & worked hard that day.
So I took my cold shower, ate and layed on the floor with a package of frozen chicken breasts under each tricep. Only kept the ice on the arm for about 2-30 mins. Took off the packages and found the skin as hard as a rock! Literally! Was a little uneasy and nervous. But within about 15 mins. it warmed up and the throbbing began. Was concerned I had frostbite. But the next day it was just read, and 3 days latter almost completely gone.

Guess I shoulda put a barrier between the skin and chicken.[/quote]

I’ll do you one better.

A little more than a year ago I injured my face, iced it way too long, burned OFF the skin and made a thread about it :

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=750536&pageNo=0#750536

Now, a year later, I have a permanent wound on my face next to and above my left eye. The one above my eye is not as clearly visible, the other ones are.

At first this made a huge dent in my self-confidence, but eventually I learned to love my face again, and now I even like the character it gives me.

This is a picture of the 2 week old wound.

This is somewhat illuminating. Indoor frostbite never occurred to me before.

2-30 min? Thats a pretty big range of time. Easy does it killer

[quote]Mr ian wrote:
2-30 min? Thats a pretty big range of time. Easy does it killer[/quote]

Agreed. When icing, you should go through the stages of: cold > burning > tingling > numb.

As soon as your skin goes numb, you stop icing immediately.

– ElbowStrike.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
Mr ian wrote:
2-30 min? Thats a pretty big range of time. Easy does it killer

Agreed. When icing, you should go through the stages of: cold > burning > tingling > numb.

As soon as your skin goes numb, you stop icing immediately.

– ElbowStrike.[/quote]

I think it’s cold > burning > aching > numbness. I’m not sure that most people could differentiate between burning and tingling.

As for the ice treatment, you should probably go with a wet washcloth as a barrier, and 10-15 minutes should suffice.

I’ve heard of people getting frostbite from chemical packs (which get much colder than ice), but not from ice/frozen chicken/frozen peas, etc. Usually the body responds by rushing blood into the area (Hunting’s Response) to prevent the frostbite, thereby negating the benefits of icing.