T Nation

Leaning Up without Performance Loss

CT:

I have a home gym: power rack, 700lbs in weight, just one barbell for now. Two plyo boxes. Olympic lifting platform.

DeadSquat bar to be ordered next week :slight_smile:

No cardio implements (I.E. treadmill)

No sled or Prowler access for the moment

What are some practical things I could do to lean up through increased workload without affecting performance in weight training sessions?

Thanks!
M

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
CT:

I have a home gym: power rack, 700lbs in weight, just one barbell for now. Two plyo boxes. Olympic lifting platform.

DeadSquat bar to be ordered next week :slight_smile:

No cardio implements (I.E. treadmill)

No sled or Prowler access for the moment

What are some practical things I could do to lean up through increased workload without affecting performance in weight training sessions?

Thanks!
M[/quote]

If you have room to do "walking/carry? exercises you could add loaded carries: Dead-Squat farmer’s walk on pull days and Barbell overhead walk on pressing days. Use a moderate weight and shoot for the max distance you can cover in 10-15 minutes (YES you can take breaks!!!)

Absolutely.

I would imagine that the Dead-Squat bar would also make a decent overhead carry implement. Have you ever tried it that way?

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
Absolutely.

I would imagine that the Dead-Squat bar would also make a decent overhead carry implement. Have you ever tried it that way?[/quote]

It’s a bit too unstable when walking… if you lose balance a bit with a barbell it’s easy to get back into the proper position… with the Dead-Squat bar it is much much harder and this is for conditioning for controlling objects

OK - thank you for the suggestions. I’m going to start Monday.

I have seen suggestions of 60-70% 1RM DL for weighted carries, walk for 60 seconds and then rest.
Is that similar to what you suggest?

OH Carry - would that be perhaps 40-50% 1RM push press for similar time?

Thanks again!
M

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
OK - thank you for the suggestions. I’m going to start Monday.

I have seen suggestions of 60-70% 1RM DL for weighted carries, walk for 60 seconds and then rest.
Is that similar to what you suggest?

OH Carry - would that be perhaps 40-50% 1RM push press for similar time?

Thanks again!
M[/quote]

60 might be a bit high to start with, especially since you’ll have to do about 6 sets for max body comp results. I’d start out at 30 for week 1, 45 for week 2, 60 for week 3… add weight and start back at 30 sec.

When doing Dead-Squat carries, do you always use straps; or, do you sometimes just chalk and go to work on grip strength as well?

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
When doing Dead-Squat carries, do you always use straps; or, do you sometimes just chalk and go to work on grip strength as well?[/quote]

Use straps, the goal is conditioning you don’t want grip strength to interfere with that.