Leaning Out/Contest Prep Thread

@BrickHead Question concerning your macro timing:

I’m a big believer/practitioner/fan of consuming a large portion of my daily carbs surrounding the workout, as I’m sure most people on here are. As someone who has never competed (but am beginning to see doing so as inevitable), I’m wondering if you are timing your carbs this way. It seems like you would be, but I wonder due to how few carbs you’re eating in a given day (minus refeeds/high carb days).

I’ve also spoken with many individuals (competitors and non-competitors) who don’t count their greens/veggies for their daily carbs. This seems counter-intuitive to me, but I as wondering if you count greens/veggies as carbs or not…In terms of contest prep, that is.

1 Like

I’m not Brick but I can say that I didn’t count carbs from veggies and I have not found many coaches/competitors hat do. As an RD I was a little taken aback we I first found this out, but it seems most coaches want to focus on limiting carbs from ‘traditional carb sources’.

This isn’t to say green veggies cant provide some carbs but 3-5g/1C is so meniscule that even if you ate 2C green veggies at each meal, and had 6 meals a day that is only 36-60g carbs.

This could interfere with something like ketosis if you’re trying to go the ketogenic route, but just traditional low carb? Nah, eat those green veggies for your sanity my friend.

2 Likes

Trim the area above your lip and just grow out the ends. It looks a little funny without wax (though not so much with a full beard) but doesn’t get in the way eating.

2 Likes

Alright, awesome. That explains how one can eat 60g of traditional carbs in a day and stay satiated with the other meals (filling up/adding volume with veggies). Awesome.

1 Like

We didn’t count carbs from fibrous veggies, but they can effect scale weight/bloat. Sometimes I’d make the mistake of eating an extra few cups of broccoli to curb hunger, personally it affected me fairly significantly in terms of scale weight and water retention. I wouldn’t worry about counting carbs from them, but whatever the veggie intake is, if in a contest prep might be best to keep it consistent every day to ensure unnecessary fluctuations don’t occur. Off season doesn’t make a difference.

2 Likes

@IronAndMetal I don’t Clint fibrous veggies. I’m pretty consistent though. About a cup to cup in half in morning, same for lunch and large salad at night with small amount of tomato. Half a bag of butter lettuce is like ten calories, mostly fibrous carbs and water.

There are three low carb days right now, followed by one medium carb day, and then this is repeated. The only difference between both days is literally a cup of rice or 9 oz potatoes. I place the starch on medium days at dinner so I feel more satisfied at night. With such a little difference between the days, I Don’t think it matters where I place 40 grams of carbs once every four days.

On the other hand, when I was on more of a carb rotation diet, I just followed the plan as is. So if I worked out in the afternoon, I had meal four, whatever it contained, regardless whether it was a high, medium, or low day.

I think someone in this thread asked if I actually think I gained some chest size or does my chest appear improved because I got lean. It’s both. I definitely gained some chest size and gained strength in all chest exercises as well.

My only non-veggie source of “direct” carbs on the low day is an apple. All other carbs are incidental carbs from nuts, nut butters, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese, and guacamole.

1 Like

Gosh, Guacamole :yum:

1 Like

Guacamole and pop tarts, the cornerstone of any truly successful prep.

S

4 Likes

I’ve read your entire Q&A Thread Stu, I’m aware of your affinity for Pop-Tarts lol.

But seriously, you were the reason I started eating them pre/post-workout. When I hired my coach he was like absolutely do not eat pop-tarts, they have no nutritional value :expressionless: Needless to say I kept them in as long as I had pre/post-workout carbs lol.

1 Like

If i come to USA one day, first thing i will do is to go to one of your huge supermarkets and go to the junk food section.
There are lots of things i am curious about. We have oreos in Turkey but im dying to try Pop Tarts :slight_smile:

What are your macros on these low days?
If im not wrong, you dont do a refeed but a "medium’ carb day, right?
and how many kcals?

Three low days, one medium day, repeat. No refeed. Low day is 180 g pro, 60 grams carbs, rest fat, 1960 kcal. Med day is same exact thing but 100 grams of carbs, 2150 kcal. And it’s a horrible diet to be on. The beginning was easy! :grinning:

One goal was to bring up the chest a bit. This years goal: crush the lats!

Flat-as -hell, Skeletor look for now, til carb up! :grin: I am finallly satisfied with my leanness and there are no more adjustments to be made besides peak week. Thank god!

My body shifts to the left a bit, which has caused a nuisance for my left hamstring and side generally, which I will be getting some PT for after my show. Eval is scheduled next week.

This year’s goal: bring up the pecs a bit. Next year’s goal: crush the lats!

1 Like

That sounds like something I recently had. Might be useful to make sure your left glute is firing, perhaps warm it up before exercises that would use it, perhaps with some hip thrusts.

The diagnosis from the ortho is lumbar radiculopathy which is causing sciatica. Will be going for PT.

carbs were always this low or did you change the nutriton strategy in the end?

btw, you said ur delts are laking and i always did high volume for delts, minimum 2 exercises for lateral delts, 1 for rear and 1 to 2 pressing movements, got good results but no more recent progress so im testing low volume for a while, what is your take on delts volume?

1 Like