Leaning Out/Contest Prep Thread

Of course there’s a limit to what one can do natty, but I have now come to believe those who love talk about the FFMI are freaking nerds, particularly YT nerds. If 26 is impossible natty, so be it. It still is pointless to think about considering thinking of such academics is worthless! Time in the gym and eating and competing is where it’s at. I’ve said it so many times and I’ll say it again: despite all my credentials in nutrition and exercise phys and being an RD, I believe academic talk is for the most part worthless!

Granted we need to know what to eat for optimal health and some nutrition science for bodybuilding, but at the end of the day, I’d rather sit in a lecture by Jay Cutler, Dorian Yates, or my favorite underdogs Rusty Jeffers and Hamdullah Aykutlu than someone who shuffles studies around! I want to know how Aukutlu got so damn shredded! I wanna know how Rusty held up til 50 something, not theory or mumbo jumbo!

Did any of these nerds online look like a bodybuilder or step on a stage? (No names, but if you think a bit, you’ll know who I’m referring to.)

I used to be cynical and negative. Now I don’t want to bother thinking of limitations in life I general, not just BB. Granted I do have limits and will not be of the tiny elite in BB, money, whatever! But I’d rather get the most out of myself within my limits/abilities then fuck around thinking of such limits!

Ok, sorry for the emotional response! Sixty grams of carbs and ~1950 kcals nearly everyday for three weeks can do that! Lol.

2 Likes

I was actually astonished by how freaking big you were!

1 Like

So much truth there! No great deeds were ever accomplished thinking about limitations. I am with you 100%. I love science, I love understanding things, but so often I find the spirit of the artist or the creator lacking in it. That is not the way it should be. It is a regulatory body with a regulatory mindset making a regulatory atatement.

Michaelangelo said " The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark. Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."

You never get that thinking about limits.

1 Like

Well I am told I am only two pounds away from 170, like Stu I am 5’8". After taking people’s advice about what my bodyweight should have been from people I met in person, and getting those 180-190 numbers, I decided I was not going to listen to those people anymore. Only to those who had me lower, and that 168 number (give or take he said) seems reasonable.

As for whether or not I would just wait, right now I don’t have a whole lotta choice: a few weeks ago we learned my wife is pregger with our third and I came back to law school a month ago, so I don’t have the time to do what it takes to get ready for a competition. I do expect to have the time once I start working, because I plan to be one of those 9-5 guys, both for reasons of how important I view my family and for other things I wanna do in my life.

2 Likes

Right! I do think the upper limit is likely above 25 but it’s just a matter of discussion for speculating who is assisted, which has absolutely nothing to do with my own actions. Compulsive talkers like Jason Blaha and Ian McArthy focus on shit like this.

2 Likes

It’s funny, I am told all the time I’m ripped, yet I know for a fact I would be in contecontest shape in the 160s and I say this as a stand with abs in the mid 190s. I think it’s funny how individual vascularity is. Like veins in the legs and upper back at higher bf%.

3 Likes

Looking great! Very dry and hard. How far out are you now?

1 Like

Two weeks exactly. Then another two weeks later.

Lol I hear ya. I was usually 205-210 offseason, and when I hit the low 190’s I had every “gym expert” Telling me I was ready. Luckily I didn’t listen to them :slight_smile:

Brad may quietly hate me at times, but he knows I’m holding him to a standard that wins shows.

S

5 Likes

Brad…you’re looking impressive, man. OH, and if this was IG: #bringbackthestache

1 Like

would some of you with a more keen eye for it, mind looking at my pics from today in my log post in my thread? this was morning after a 555g carb refeed day. I was up 3lbs and that’s normal but I still think I looked flat a hell in these shots. is that just me? normal day (5 days before this) were 180g carbs. using a 2 on 1 off split. 2x HIIT and 2x LISS 30 mins each for past 2 weeks now.

thanks to all of you in advance.

Thank you!

The handlebar mustache, as much as I liked the way it looked, was too uncomfortable for me. Having very hard wax in it all day created a near-constant unpleasant sensation on my upper lip and when wax was not in it, made eating and drinking unpleasant too.

1 Like

What you’re done mg is fine. You have to realize that if you do a serious cut you will lose a sense of bigness. That’s why so many bail out! It doesn’t mean you lost muscle though if you’re doing things right. And you just want to lose some fat, not drop down to unhealthy stage ready body fat level.

1 Like

I just meant it should make another appearance for show day. Just for the pic photos of you on stage with the handlebar stache…or just one of the shows. :grin:

In other news, what is @The_Mighty_Stu (and/or you) planning for you to do for the two weeks in between shows? Stay on the grind continually? Or will you be able to indulge for a day(ish) following the first show before getting back to the grind?

You’re looking great man. I wish I could see one of the shows.

1 Like

Thank you so much for kind words!
@IronAndMetal
Likely post show cheat meal and cheat breakfast. Then one more regular week of dieting and then another peak weak.

I’m wondering if anyone following along with this thread is in the area of the contest. Would be pretty cool to hang out afterward and watch Brad lose his mind in a greasy macaroni n cheeseburger :slight_smile:

Maybe post up the contest poster?
(I don’t have it or I would do it myself)

S

2 Likes

Is Ohio close enough? Anyone want to buy me a ticket? :slight_smile:

3 Likes