Leaning Out/Contest Prep Thread

Seeing your insights to your own cardio scheme leads me to comment myself…

cardio I do not need nor want in my plan via work demands… I lead spin, TRX, tactical fitness, ruck runs etc 5x a week. This gets me 2-3 hours of low to high intensity cardio per day M-F outside of what I do for me and my own goals of competing/training. For this exact reason I do not do more than 1 voluntary session every 4 days which is my rest day via my 3 on 1 off split routine. Its 40 minutes done 10 minutes a each on 4 different modes of choice (eg. rower, versa climber, stepmill, elliptical) to keep variation and my own ADD from taking over. Intensity is between 130-165 BPM via HR monitoring.

I found in past experience that even during off-season periods and when training for PL meets this job related cardio could quickly put me into OTS states or less then ideal recovery states if I did not allow for its impact to be factored into my own training plans.

I am lucky now where all my daily work classes are taught and finished by 1130am and I don’t go train myself until 6pm. This offers me some time to rebound, rest and get meals in before going at it again.

Just throwing it out there, no matter what I add some form of monitored cardio, that way if say you take leave or what not your still getting that stimulation.

I love my co workers saying I look skinny on the daily. Lol!

1 Like

I like how Brick just comes in and drops off a shredded pic and disappears. Just like “oh btw leg veins. Bye”

2 Likes

Great post! Literal LMAO! That’s kind of what I’m doing, sort of like implying, “OK, here’s an update,” without writing much. Believe me, I’d love to keep a sort of diary/log going here about my training, diet, and state of well-being, but I can’t. If I was single I could, but one can’t be a bodybuilding monk a la Shelby Starnes if he has a wife. :slight_smile: (No dig at Shelby; I love the guy, but from his writings it implies he lives as a bodybuilding Spartan, which I believe. He said he is a BB monk.

haha, “skinny” is the worst word anyone can ever call a bodybuilder

4 Likes

How about ‘Do you run? You look like a runner.’ I’ve gotten that one a few times, and it hurt.

3 Likes

I hate it when my wife says It when she means lean it kills me.

2 Likes

What about “do you do crossfit?” lol

Ordinary people have no clue when it comes to weight, height and body composition. I actually was referred to at work as “skinny” and “slim” while weighing 200 to 205# at a height of 5’10". So according to the average American, if you’re not fat, you’re skinny–no such thing as being built and lean. If you’re huge–even AAS-assisted–you’re referred to as “huge” or “big” but the word lean is not used. But if you’re natural or non-assisted and chiseled, you’re skinny, because you might not have a gargantuan appearance at 180# and 5’10" while very lean.

I’ve often asked “how the heck is 5’10” and 180# skinny"? This still calculates as 25.8, which for normally muscled people would indicate overweight.

1 Like

Skinny people can’t fill out large T-shirts either.

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

Yeah clothes have a large impact on how people see you too, clothes are made so people can hide their skinny-fat.

This before your step class? No wonder your legs are leaning out so nicely

3 Likes

Yeah! :slight_smile: My legs leaned out before anything else. With the right lighting you can see all the veins. Eight to ten more pounds to go! I am anxious AND excited AND worried at the same time.

1 Like

Awesome progress so far Brick.

A couple questions if you do not mind.

-How much did you weigh at the start of your prep and is there a number you have in mind at where you might end up?

-Do you count veggies towards your daily calorie/carb intake or just eat them in moderation?

He started at 206, currency 179, with the target of about (we always say about because no one really cares what you weigh so long as you look good) 170.

This is where everyone following along gets to see Brad go from being the “leanest guy in the gym” to being “that guy” who the other competitors sweat backstage.

S

2 Likes

Any idea of what the LBM will be at 170? What it was at 206? Or, is that not even in the consideration - just appearance?

It’s all appearance. I likely lost some LBM, probably in the legs.

1 Like