T Nation

Leaning Out and Calories

I'm currently leaning out. I have been training hard and only eating at a minimal caloric deficit. I'm very happy with the results so far. I'm due for an off/active recovery week. Would you all recommend maintenance during this week or to continue eating under maintenance?

I know it's only a week, but I would like to avoid any muscle loss. Up to this point, I've put on a little muscle and my strength has continued to increase while losing fat.

Congrats on losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. That means your diet is definitely on point.

If I was in this situation, I wouldn't eat under maintenance on your active/recovery week.

Play it by ear, though. If you're extremely active one day, eat a little more. If you don't do too much, eat a little less.

-Nate

i'd use your week off to up your calories (especially carbs) before going back to a calorically and carb deficient phase. this should help rebound your leptin levels and keep your motor humming.

check out lyle mcdonald's site for more info on this - it's helped me a ton with regard to general dieting.

good luck!

Thanks for the input! Good suggestions.

Thanks! I'll check it out.