T Nation

Leaning Down for Meet and Curiosity

I am 17 years of age and weigh 194 lbs. I wish to go down all the way down to 165 lbs. in order to compete in that weight class and hopefully obtain all 4 American records and because, hey, I'm young and it's summer time. For this quest, I am currently taking creatine, amino acids, antioxidants, 1200 mgs of fish oil, multivitamins, and whey protein. 

Diet has been cleaned and at a deficit and walking will be implemented next week. The purpose for writing this is to ask for tips as to how I can minimize the strength loss that may occur and overall weight-loss tips that the reader has found over the years (if one is so generous).

These are all recent maxes-
Deadlift: 495 lbs.
Squat: 375 lbs.
Bench Press: 295 lbs.
Overhead Press: 155 lbs.
(I know that my bench press is on the weak side due to my negligence on my overhead press. I am currently working on raising both numbers)

American records in which federation?

And if you are dropping hard weight, then a 29 lb drop is likely going to result in some (possibly a lot) of strength loss.

The best way to prevent this and muscle loss is to simply lift heavy. Give your body a reason to hold onto muscle.

[quote]Ptt451 wrote:
I am 17 years of age and weigh 194 lbs. I wish to go down all the way down to 165 lbs. in order to compete in that weight class and hopefully obtain all 4 American records and because, hey, I’m young and it’s summer time. For this quest, I am currently taking creatine, amino acids, antioxidants, 1200 mgs of fish oil, multivitamins, and whey protein. Diet has been cleaned and at a deficit and walking will be implemented next week. The purpose for writing this is to ask for tips as to how I can minimize the strength loss that may occur and overall weight-loss tips that the reader has found over the years (if one is so generous).
These are all recent maxes-
Deadlift: 495 lbs.
Squat: 375 lbs.
Bench Press: 295 lbs.
Overhead Press: 155 lbs.
(I know that my bench press is on the weak side due to my negligence on my overhead press. I am currently working on raising both numbers)[/quote]

Mmmm this could turn amusing… where’s the popcorn?

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
American records in which federation?

And if you are dropping hard weight, then a 29 lb drop is likely going to result in some (possibly a lot) of strength loss.

The best way to prevent this and muscle loss is to simply lift heavy. Give your body a reason to hold onto muscle.[/quote]

http://www.goheavy.net/records/viewrecordset.aspx?recordsetguid=c1c06960-b9e9-4e72-bc6f-4b11ac9e88df
This is the link that keeps track of records found under the USAPL website.