T Nation

Leanest Condition

Hey guys, what do you think is the leanest condition that any BB has ever stepped on stage at? I remember seeing this guy that competed in the 90s I think, theres a famous pic of him doing a most muscular and hes just shredded but I can’t manage to remember his name.

must be andreas munzer you referring to!

Adreas Munzer

https://www.google.com/search?q=andreas+munzer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

His quest for shredz was almost certainly what killed him though.

press play at your own risk

[quote]DanielDJ wrote:
must be andreas munzer you referring to! [/quote]
Yes, that’s who I was thinking of. It’s insane how bodybuilders back then got so shredded. We don’t see them going to those levels anymore

We also don’t have guys freezing up onstage and being rushed to the hospital from excessive diuretic use.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
We also don’t have guys freezing up onstage and being rushed to the hospital from excessive diuretic use.

S
[/quote]

Paul Dillet - I remember that. He froze up like a statue - Practically had to be carried offstage.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

S
[/quote]

Paul Dillet - I remember that. He froze up like a statue - Practically had to be carried offstage. [/quote]

That’s right. Then they spray-painted him bronze patina.
He now stands in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

S
[/quote]

Paul Dillet - I remember that. He froze up like a statue - Practically had to be carried offstage. [/quote]

That’s right. Then they spray-painted him bronze patina.
He now stands in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

lol[/quote]

Ha ha…what an ugly motherfucker that dude was…they didn’t call him “Frankenstein” for nothing! Plus he had some of the oddest looking clumps of veins in his chest and delts…dude was a monster, but nothing about his physique was aesthetically pleasing…

S
[/quote]

Bingo.

That quest for shreds nearly killed quite a few guys. Even Phil Heath has cramped up on stage before so imagine what was going on in the 90’s when the diuretics use was ridiculous back when Mike Mattarrazo was being rushed to the hospital on a regular basis after shows.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

S
[/quote]

Bingo.

That quest for shreds nearly killed quite a few guys. Even Phil Heath has cramped up on stage before so imagine what was going on in the 90’s when the diuretics use was ridiculous back when Mike Mattarrazo was being rushed to the hospital on a regular basis after shows.[/quote]

Yep. Dude’s heart eventually gave out. Not BLAMING the diuretics for his heart condition, but the use of some substances before a proper medical check is in place can ultimately be devastating.

Mattarrazo did an interview with Flex a while back (post retirement I guess) where he was pretty open about all the ‘horrible things’ he did to his body while competing. Really changed the way a lot of younger viewers looked at the sport (if they were smart) in my opinion.

S

I liked Mike…but after that many trips to the ER, there is no way in hell I would have kept doing that to myself.

I agreed with his early takes on putting on mass. Eating like him is how I got big, but at some point, you have to look after your health more.

I think Mike competed at a time when many of them were doing so much crazy shit that the bugs hadn’t been worked out yet.

For instance, you RARELY see the huge bloated distended guts that were everywhere in the 90’s. guys like Greg Kovacs looked pregnant with abs showing. Guys are still getting bigger but the guts you don’t see anywhere near as much.

Diuretics use is THE most dangerous aspect of bodybuilding…not steroids, not the huge weights, and not the overall lifestyle.

I would probably out pain killers as the next.

Mattarrazo did an interview with Flex a while back (post retirement I guess) where he was pretty open about all the ‘horrible things’ he did to his body while competing. Really changed the way a lot of younger viewers looked at the sport (if they were smart) in my opinion.

S[/quote]

Mike started at the end of the era when guys like Mike Christian were still on stage…and guys like Christian were not just into the steroids but also the coke and everything else involved with a party lifestyle. I think bodybuilding hit as critical point in the 90’s that caused a re-evaluation of the way things were being done.

Momo Benaziza didn’t die in vain…unless newbs are so clueless now they don’t even know who he is.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Ha ha…what an ugly motherfucker that dude was…they didn’t call him “Frankenstein” for nothing! Plus he had some of the oddest looking clumps of veins in his chest and delts…dude was a monster, but nothing about his physique was aesthetically pleasing…[/quote]

See, I always thought he had a pretty solid physique hampered by shitty posing.

Badass physique, shit posing.

[skip to 0:45]

[quote]anonym wrote:

See, I always thought he had a pretty solid physique hampered by shitty posing.[/quote]

That’s exactly what it was. They called him Frankenstein because of the clunky way he moved on stage and how he would freeze on stage during poses and literally need to be carried off…while still in pose.

It had nothing to do with how he looked because he was always a mass monster.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

See, I always thought he had a pretty solid physique hampered by shitty posing.[/quote]

That’s exactly what it was. They called him Frankenstein because of the clunky way he moved on stage and how he would freeze on stage during poses and literally need to be carried off…while still in pose.

It had nothing to do with how he looked because he was always a mass monster.[/quote]
Loved his physique. Mass monster with a tiny waist.

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Ha ha…what an ugly motherfucker that dude was…they didn’t call him “Frankenstein” for nothing! Plus he had some of the oddest looking clumps of veins in his chest and delts…dude was a monster, but nothing about his physique was aesthetically pleasing…[/quote]

Yea, he actually looks pretty good in that shot. Insane shoulder to waist ratio.

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

Yep, terrific physique that just didn’t have enough back size or the ability to pose properly. I think his arms are still some of the sickest ever in this game.