Lean Out or Pack On the Muscle

What's up everyone im new to the boards and was wondering what everyone thinks i should do?????

I really would like to cut some of the BF but @ the same time i wanna add lots of str and size…

btw,been lifting on and off for like a yr,past 3 months have been serious…

THANKS!

5’9
BF% 16 or 17 maybe???
36" waist =(

What is it you want to do? I think you’re better off choosing your own path.

I wanna add mass and lots of str but @ the same time i wouldnt mind losing some bodyfat since its summer and all you know??

im goin to start rippetoe’s starting strength on monday…

The program you choose and the intensity you put in will give you the size and strength. The diet you follow will determine your body fat levels.

Work hard and eat smart.

u think if i did low intensity cardio on my off days i could lose BF and still be able to gain size/str???

thanks

[quote]WannaBeStronG wrote:
u think if i did low intensity cardio on my off days i could lose BF and still be able to gain size/str???

thanks[/quote]

Pick a goal, one goal, and go after it. Going after both of those at the same time will ensure it is a much harder and longer road to reaching either one of them. You aren’t even a regular trainer. Get that under control before you worry about how perfect you look. Gaining more muscle will make most people look more developed, and yes leaner, than simply dropping body fat when you don’t have much muscle on you presently.

u think if i did low intensity cardio on my off days i could lose BF and still be able to gain size/str???[/quote]

No. Gaining muscle is really, really hard. In fact, if you train regularly for six months, you will realize the answer to this question yourself.

Well i put 2gether a clean bulk diet just now and im goin to start rippetoe’s starting strength tomorrow…

btw,i have a little fat on my chest that i freakin hate,iwas wondering once i add some muscle to my chest will it fill out and not be as noticeable?

I’m not trying to flame or start shit, but why does someone who calls himself “WannaBeStronG” have to ask, “What’s more important to me? Shedding this paltry fat now, or bulking?”

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:irony&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

Well i put 2gether a clean bulk diet just now and im goin to start rippetoe’s starting strength tomorrow…

btw,i have a little fat on my chest that i freakin hate,iwas wondering once i add some muscle to my chest will it fill out and not be as noticeable?[/quote]

How about you actually train for several months with no lay offs and find out? You haven’t even gotten one foot in the door yet are worried about your end product. I honestly don’t believe people who think like you seem to have a clue what is involved to actually make singificant progress.

If you did, your main priority would be on working your ass off TODAY and TOMORROW, not what might happen if you maybe possibly work hard perhaps in the future.

You guys are right…

I’m going to make a couple statements that I’m pretty certain are going to draw criticism from guys who still haven’t absorbed the foundational basics of how the human body works.

1. If you have to ask whether you should cut or gain you should train to gain. It’s a foregone guarantee that you have nothing to cut.

2. If you have ANY future designs on being substantially larger than you are now expunge the whole concept of cutting from your mind for a couple years BARE MINIMUM and probably quite a bit longer than that.

3. Even if you are very overweight, in other words a disgusting dimpled fat body, you should STILL train as if you were of average body composition and trying to gain lean size. This goes for nutrition and lifting. If you do this the excess fat will take very much care of itself for quite a while and by the time you stop getting leaner you should have an idea of where to go next.

In other words this whole mentality of not knowing what to do as a beginner is a relatively recent phenomena. Not that long ago practically all untrained noobs assumed as a matter of logical observation that lean mass was what they needed first. Somewhere along the line, maybe through the media, probably through the media, everybody developed this obsession with 24/7/365 single digit leanness.

Get bigger pal, you’ll never be sorry you did.

Could a dog become the new shoe?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I’m going to make a couple statements that I’m pretty certain are going to draw criticism from guys who still haven’t absorbed the foundational basics of how the human body works.

1. If you have to ask whether you should cut or gain you should train to gain. It’s a foregone guarantee that you have nothing to cut.

2. If you have ANY future designs on being substantially larger than you are now expunge the whole concept of cutting from your mind for a couple years BARE MINIMUM and probably quite a bit longer than that.

3. Even if you are very overweight, in other words a disgusting dimpled fat body, you should STILL train as if you were of average body composition and trying to gain lean size. This goes for nutrition and lifting. If you do this the excess fat will take very much care of itself for quite a while and by the time you stop getting leaner you should have an idea of where to go next.

In other words this whole mentality of not knowing what to do as a beginner is a relatively recent phenomena. Not that long ago practically all untrained noobs assumed as a matter of logical observation that lean mass was what they needed first. Somewhere along the line, maybe through the media, probably through the media, everybody developed this obsession with 24/7/365 single digit leanness.

Get bigger pal, you’ll never be sorry you did.[/quote]

The problem for us noobs is all the conflicting information out there. The advise to read everything out there is great, but sometimes it’s completely overwhelming. For example,on this site alone, I’ve read:

1. You CAN’T gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously.
  2. You CAN gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously.

Add in the fact that a lot of us start our path to weight lifting through magazines like Men’s Health, etc. It’s no wonder we are confused. Until I found this site I was under the impression that it was always better to lose fat before worrying about muscle gain. I’ve also read that one set of 8-12 reps twice a week is enough for a beginner. Fortunately, I have found my way to this site. My point is, try to be patient with us noobs. Obviously we don’t know what we are talking about, that’s why we’re asking.

Thanks for all the great advice.

[quote]blzy wrote:

1. You CAN’T gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously.[/quote]

You can’t gain very much muscle while your cutting. Ever. Calorie deficit will never build anything.

You can get leaner if you have a good diet and lift hard, but you have to concentrate on gaining muscle. If you gain 10 lbs of muscle and body fat stays the same you just lowered your body fat percentage.

[quote]tveddy wrote:

If you gain 10 lbs of muscle and body fat stays the same you just lowered your body fat percentage.[/quote]

Very good point. Many people seem to not realize this.

Also, it is much easier to shed BF AFTER a fair amount of muscle is developed.

Pack on muscle

Do NOT lean out for two years, like previously suggested.

edit: what the hell am I saying? Oh, bulk for two years. That’s what I mean.

Always cut for the summer and bulk for the winter I say. You’ll never get this summer back so you should take the opportunity to be healthy and look good.

[quote]FakeJesus wrote:
Always cut for the summer and bulk for the winter I say. You’ll never get this summer back so you should take the opportunity to be healthy and look good.[/quote]

Agh.

“Be healthy?” He could “Be healthy” by just going for a walk three times a week, what does that have to do with building muscle mass?

As everyone has already said, if one wants to make substantial progress towards building muscle mass, eat more food and train hard. Do not eat less food and do cardio.