T Nation

Lean But Stomach Sticks Out

So I been working out for a few months putting on muscle, for I used to be very skinny before, and I still am, however I have seen improvement.

The problem is my stomach sticks out when relaxed, however I can see 6 and almost all 8 abdominal muscles when I contract them.

I've seen many posts about posture, gaining more chest muscle as the stomach wouldn't look so big compared to other muscles, or simply strengthening the abdominals.

I really am at a loss here, for I am just trying to put on some muscle mass but can't seem to get rid of this pregnant type look. I've done countless hours of research and I can't find the solution. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Posterior pelvic tilt can exacerbate this, but it’s pretty normal unless you walk around with your TVA sucked in all day.

You’re normal.

Pictures would help

You’re probably comparing yourself to pictures of pro bb’ers and lifters who are posing for pics with their abdominals flexed .

Everyone’s stomach sticks out farther when relaxed, you can find pics of those on stage of the Olympia with this when relaxed. You can strengthen your TVA and correct your posture which will help to an extent, and just make your chest and upper back so thick that they even out the look. lol. Don’t worry about it though.

[quote]The-German wrote:
Pictures would help[/quote]

Could be any number of things, pictures will certainly help. My gut instinct is a combination of APT and the fact that your probably aren’t as lean in the real world as you are in the mirror with that one bit of down lighting angled just right.

core strengthening exercises

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m with a lot of extraordinarily lean and muscular people daily (swim practice), and we all have the same issue, more or less.

[quote]V3getarian wrote:
I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m with a lot of extraordinarily lean and muscular people daily (swim practice), and we all have the same issue, more or less. [/quote]
Funny first post.